4 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 08:20
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I love Banks two major contributions to the album---Me and Sarah Jane and Dodo Lurker--voted Dodo.

Dodo/Lurker is credited as  team effort, in fact most songs are, except Me & Sarah Jane by Banks, Like It or Not by Rutherford and Man On the Corner by Collins. 

Edited by Cristi - November 21 2020 at 08:41
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 08:28
Abacab, only (rather than favorite) piece of music in the album.

Quite revealing song title: Another Record (true, but so sad...)
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 08:59
Went with Dodo/Lurker. Great track and too bad they didn't extend it into the epic that they originally were leaning towards. This would have been a better album if it had had a better ending. I would have scrapped the last two tracks and replaced them with an eight-minute instrumental or something. Even so, it's not that bad of an album overall and better than what followed.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 10:22
This is actually one of the Genesis albums I listen most often to. Great melodic rock songs, wonderful and tight playing - I really enjoy this album, including Whodunnit! Musically maybe not their most interesting, but for me a very pleasant listen. Favourite track is Dodo/Lurker.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 13:37
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:22
Shoot, for a minute I thought "Another Record" meant I could vote for Foxtrot...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Shoot, for a minute I thought "Another Record" meant I could vote for Foxtrot...

LOL

how would that make any sense? LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:30
I'm going to say the title track comes out on top for me. After that it's Dodo/lurker and then man on the corner and then no reply at all and then keep it dark. The rest is more or less filler imo with some more and some less so. Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:33

I'll vote for Selling England by the Pound if we can vote for Another Record. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:42
Abacab called but there was no reply at all. He wanted wanted to ask his girlfriend out. He told his friend he wanted it to be "just me and Sarah Jane." He didn't want anyone else to find out so he told him to keep it dark. He then told him that he would be a dodo if he was a lurker. I said if anyone asked him about it he should play dumb and say "who dunnit." I said just tell him it was me the man on the corner. I then asked him what he thought of this new Genesis album and he said like it or not it sounds like just another record that they would do to try to be more popular. Wink

I figured I would fill in for psych Paul here. ;) Of course I'm no match for the master but I figured I would give it a shot.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 21 2020 at 15:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Abacab called but there was no reply at all. He wanted wanted to ask his girlfriend out. He told his friend he wanted it to be "just me and Sarah Jane." He didn't want anyone else to find out so he told him to keep it dark. He then told him that he would be a dodo if he was a lurker. I said if anyone asked him about it he should play dumb and say "who dunnit." I said just tell him it was me the man on the corner. I then asked him what he thought of this new Genesis album and he said like it or not it sounds like just another record that Genesis would do to try to be more popular. Wink

I figured I would fill in for psych Paul here. ;) Of course I'm not match for the master but I figured I would give it a shot.
Good job! For a moment there, I thought I was reading one of my own posts. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:52
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Abacab called but there was no reply at all. He wanted wanted to ask his girlfriend out. He told his friend he wanted it to be "just me and Sarah Jane." He didn't want anyone else to find out so he told him to keep it dark. He then told him that he would be a dodo if he was a lurker. I said if anyone asked him about it he should play dumb and say "who dunnit." I said just tell him it was me the man on the corner. I then asked him what he thought of this new Genesis album and he said like it or not it sounds like just another record that Genesis would do to try to be more popular. Wink

I figured I would fill in for psych Paul here. ;) Of course I'm not match for the master but I figured I would give it a shot.
Good job! For a moment there, I thought I was reading one of my own posts. Tongue

Well, what can I say? You inspired me. You were bound to have at least one imitator sooner or later. Remember, they say imitation is the highest form of flattery. ;)
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:57
I'd say 'Keep It Dark', and not a bad album at all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 16:19

Well, what can I say? You inspired me. You were bound to have at least one imitator sooner or later. Remember, they say imitation is the highest form of flattery. ;)
I'm flattered. Reading this thread is far more entertaining than listening to the Abacab album. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 16:46

I'm flattered. Reading this thread is far more entertaining than listening to the Abacab album. Smile

Yep. Abacab is admittedly a bit of a mixed bag. Some good moments and it's interesting at times but maybe a bit too much filler imo.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 19:23
Personally I think Dodo / Lurker is a train wreck. Any other band except Genesis I don't think anyone would be paying attention to it. The opener on the other hand is one of Genesis's best numbers in an album that rapidly goes downhill, only saved by Phil Collins, Man on the Corner and Mike Rutherford's Like it or Not, on side two.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 21:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Dodo/Lurker

funny that the B-sides and other 1981 Abacab sessions, later featured on Genesis Archives are more interesting than a lot of the songs on the actual album - Naminanu, Submarine, You Might Recall

I agree but I think the selections on what stays and what goes comes down to writing credits.  Each of the guys got 1 solo song (Me and Sarah Jane, Man on the Corner and Like it or Not).  So if one goes, they all go and that wasn't going to happen.  So what are you going to substitute out for those 3 B-sides?  They are all on record as liking WhoDunnit, at least at the time.  Abacab and Keep it Dark are very strong, so they are staying too.   Dodo / Lurker is what I call their nod back to the past track for the long time fans, so it stays too.  That just leaves Another Record  as the only track that could be swapped out.  

Personally, if their wasn't any writing credit problems, chuck the last two tracks, cut Whodunnit in half and add the 3 B-sides.

Edited by tdfloyd - November 21 2020 at 22:06
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 00:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Title track. Don't ask me why because I really don't know.

I'll argue it's actually the single-catchiest post-prog era Genesis pop song that wasn't a massive hit.

Catchiest vocal melody for verses, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge, etc.

It's an illusion; it's a game...

Wake up and you're covered in cellophane...

Do you think they'll find out?!

Also, I'm still blown away that Dodo is genuinely the fan favorite here; I legit thought that was THE song that made everyone turn the record off, too much cheese LOL. It's not a bad song but it's literally the one I expected PA to check out on and ditch Genesis after this lmao.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - November 22 2020 at 00:40

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 01:28
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Dodo/Lurker

funny that the B-sides and other 1981 Abacab sessions, later featured on Genesis Archives are more interesting than a lot of the songs on the actual album - Naminanu, Submarine, You Might Recall

I agree but I think the selections on what stays and what goes comes down to writing credits.  Each of the guys got 1 solo song (Me and Sarah Jane, Man on the Corner and Like it or Not).  So if one goes, they all go and that wasn't going to happen.  So what are you going to substitute out for those 3 B-sides?  They are all on record as liking WhoDunnit, at least at the time.  Abacab and Keep it Dark are very strong, so they are staying too.   Dodo / Lurker is what I call their nod back to the past track for the long time fans, so it stays too.  That just leaves Another Record  as the only track that could be swapped out.  

Personally, if their wasn't any writing credit problems, chuck the last two tracks, cut Whodunnit in half and add the 3 B-sides.

Whodunnit is one of those songs that make me say "what were they thinking?" It's clear they made it like a joke, Phil refers to it in an interview as their punk song Confused, but an irritating joke nonetheless. If there was song to take it and put one of the three songs I mentioned is this one. 

Edited by Cristi - February 04 2022 at 12:12
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 02:02

LOL

how would that make any sense? LOL

i wondered about thatSleepy
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>