0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis - Abacab (1981)
    Posted: November 29 2020 at 08:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

Dodo/Lurker gets my vote.

No Reply at All makes me go

Who Dunnit? makes me go

The whole Ababcab album makes me go back to my Gabriel-era Genesis albums. Smile

or to the 4 previous albums with Collins on vocals. 
No? Big smile
Yes, especially A Trick of the Tail - my favourite Genesis album with Phil Collins on vocals. Thumbs Up
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 08:21

Who Dunnit? makes me go

The whole Ababcab album makes me go back to my Gabriel-era Genesis albums. Smile

or to the 4 previous albums with Collins on vocals. 
No? Big smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 08:17

Who Dunnit? makes me go

judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 08:15

Who Dunnit? makes me go
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 23:14
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

What you said is not wrong, despite their actual monetary success being way, way higher post-golden era. Rutherford is a very solid musician, though, despite not being Hackett on guitar or even close. He's extremely competent as a bass player and guitar player, I'd even argue a tad underrated and overlooked on bass because of his flexibility as a player!

Thanks, great reply!!  Mind you, I've long been a HUGE fan of Rutherford on the bass guitar, and put him on the same level as Squire, Lake etc.  

As a bassist and guitarist, I know that the skills don't always translate well.  Rutherford was competent on the 6 string, but no maestro, and I always thought the music of Genesis deserved that maestro in the guitarist chair.

I need to put on the headphones and listen to their later catalog more closely.  Cheers, Charles

Again, we're similar! Also a guitar/bass player. I played guitar to start, then switched to bass semi professionally to gig and record for YEARS, came back to guitar, and it's like a toy it's so easy LOL!  Smile

Gonna throw on some Genesis with my coffee right now! Cool

Wonderful!!  Do you ever play lead guitar licks on a bass guitar? 

I was the bassist for Alonzo "Lon" Jones, one of Bob Fripp's first Guitar Craft students, and played in his brilliant band "CAVU" (acronym for Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited).  I honed a style where I played lead guitar on the bass guitar and became quite good at it, using guitar effects such as wah-wah, delay, distortion etc.  In a later band, I did all lead lines when the guitarist did ambient walls of noise from the six-string guitar using rack mounted gear.  Much fun!! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 22:58

What you said is not wrong, despite their actual monetary success being way, way higher post-golden era. Rutherford is a very solid musician, though, despite not being Hackett on guitar or even close. He's extremely competent as a bass player and guitar player, I'd even argue a tad underrated and overlooked on bass because of his flexibility as a player!

Thanks, great reply!!  Mind you, I've long been a HUGE fan of Rutherford on the bass guitar, and put him on the same level as Squire, Lake etc.  

As a bassist and guitarist, I know that the skills don't always translate well.  Rutherford was competent on the 6 string, but no maestro, and I always thought the music of Genesis deserved that maestro in the guitarist chair.

I need to put on the headphones and listen to their later catalog more closely.  Cheers, Charles

Again, we're similar! Also a guitar/bass player. I played guitar to start, then switched to bass semi professionally to gig and record for YEARS, came back to guitar, and it's like a toy it's so easy LOL!  Smile

Gonna throw on some Genesis with my coffee right now! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 11:49

Edited by cstack3 - November 25 2020 at 11:52
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 04:12
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Shoot, for a minute I thought "Another Record" meant I could vote for Foxtrot...
That's a good one.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 04:05
Me and Sarah Jane's my choice here. Dodo/Lurker just gets silly and yawn inducing. Really surprised it's jumped out ahead in this poll.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 02:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I find this album to be the most uninteresting and boring one I have heard from them. I do like Dodo / Lurker, though.

I think it's saving grace is that it was a very clear approach (trimmed down) and no fudging. It reminds me a bit of Mike Oldfield's Platinum album that showed a very different approach to what he's done before but nevertheless its very creative. Genesis totally jumped the shark for me when they did Mama but then that's a whole different discussion Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 00:26
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I find this album to be the most uninteresting and boring one I have heard from them. I do like Dodo / Lurker, though.

That would 100% be their self-titled for me. I love Mama and the HMTS Parts 1/2, but that's it.

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Keep it Dark

Dude, this one and the title track are ALWAYS IN MY DAMN HEAD.

I WIIIIIISH....I COULD TEEEEELLLL YOU.....ALL THAT I'VE SEEEEEEN....

Millions of people, joy in their hearts! Smiles on their faces; no fear of war!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 21:41
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 08:25
Keep it Dark
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 05:57
Dodo/Lurker definitely
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 05:19
Abacab.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 01:19
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

This is my very favorite Genesis album, an opinion no doubt swayed by the fact that it was also my very first Genesis album. I whole-heartedly concur with "Dodo/Lurker" and "Abacab" being the most memorable, although in my very biased view, there are no bad tracks on this album. I love them all, and have never grown tired of this album.

No one has yet mentioned that this was intended to be a double album, with "Paperlate", "You Might Recall", "Me and Virgil", "Naminanu", and "Submarine" being the remaining tracks. The record company talked them out of it.

I've never heard the story of the double album, in 1981 Confused, I just don't see it. Could be hearsay unless you actually can give us a source. 

Naminanu was a B-side for Keep It Dark. 
Submarine was a B-side for Man On the Corner. 

The other three were either on the 3x3 single/EP or the fourth side on Three Sides Live on some releases. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 21:01
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

This is my very favorite Genesis album, an opinion no doubt swayed by the fact that it was also my very first Genesis album. I whole-heartedly concur with "Dodo/Lurker" and "Abacab" being the most memorable, although in my very biased view, there are no bad tracks on this album. I love them all, and have never grown tired of this album.

No one has yet mentioned that this was intended to be a double album, with "Paperlate", "You Might Recall", "Me and Virgil", "Naminanu", and "Submarine" being the remaining tracks. The record company talked them out of it.

I had no idea about the concept album part; everything I've read said the band intentionally made a very conscious effort to avoid traditional Genesis pro tropes! Interesting!

I LOVE the production on this album. It's perfect. Synth heaven! Tony Banks all day FTW.

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 17:53

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 00:34

I had to listen to this again on YouTube. 

No vote.  Can't stand this album.  Sorry.

LOL at least you're honest! LOL Clap
At least Abacab's not as bad as We Can't Dance & Calling All Stations, although that's not much of a recommendation. Smile

Yeah, THAT'S the truth!! 

Mind you, I was a huge fan of "And Then There Were Three" and saw that tour live.  It was wonderful! 

Genesis was diminished by not having a legitimate 6 string guitar wizard.  Daryl would have been amazing and would have brought some excellent musical/composing chops to the band.  Alas, Michael is not brilliant on the 6 string.  

However, the business of music is to pay the bills, and they certainly did that!!  Hat's off to them for a long and successful run in pop music, who'd a thunk?

Amazing you saw that tour live, btw; that was still a few years before I was around LOL Cool.

Let's just say Land of Confusion was already out fora two years before I showed up to the party LOL.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 22:52

I had to listen to this again on YouTube. 

No vote.  Can't stand this album.  Sorry.

LOL at least you're honest! LOL Clap
At least Abacab's not as bad as We Can't Dance & Calling All Stations, although that's not much of a recommendation. Smile

Yeah, THAT'S the truth!! 

Mind you, I was a huge fan of "And Then There Were Three" and saw that tour live.  It was wonderful! 

Genesis was diminished by not having a legitimate 6 string guitar wizard.  Daryl would have been amazing and would have brought some excellent musical/composing chops to the band.  Alas, Michael is not brilliant on the 6 string.  

However, the business of music is to pay the bills, and they certainly did that!!  Hat's off to them for a long and successful run in pop music, who'd a thunk?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>