0 [0.00%]
4 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis - Abacab (1981)
    Posted: November 21 2020 at 00:22
Divisive Genesis album! Pick your favorite track! GO!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 00:28
Dodo/Lurker

funny that the B-sides and other 1981 Abacab sessions, later featured on Genesis Archives are more interesting than a lot of the songs on the actual album - Naminanu, Submarine, You Might Recall. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 00:45
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Dodo/Lurker

funny that the B-sides and other 1981 Abacab sessions, later featured on Genesis Archives are more interesting than a lot of the songs on the actual album - Naminanu, Submarine, You Might Recall. 

Same as you...totally agreed with you on the tracks on the box set being more interesting? 

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 00:52

Dodo/Lurker

Yes and agreed about the B sides, lol.

Abacab is a guilty pleasure for me. I LOVE the title track, Keep It Dark, Me and Sarah Jane, etc.; tons of good Tony Banks hooks and grooves in there. I know it's not the best classic Genesis, but I'm biased for Phil Collins' vocals LOL.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 01:04
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Dodo/Lurker

Abacab is a guilty pleasure for me. I LOVE the title track, Keep It Dark, Me and Sarah Jane, etc.; tons of good Tony Banks hooks and grooves in there. I know it's not the best classic Genesis, but I'm biased for Phil Collins' vocals LOL.

I know people blame Phil for the whole going pop, but Banks and Rutherford were on it as well, especially Rutherford. And Banks is still the main songwriter after all at this point. 
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 01:22
Patrick Bateman's favorite album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 01:24
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

no, that's Invisible Touch. LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 02:00

thought it was Duke (assume we are talking American Psycho)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 02:01
First vote for Keep It Dark.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 02:04

Dodo/Lurker

i think it's the best produced Genesis album before the plastic eighties sound took over. This is one that you can put on really really loud (although as you say its not 'classic' by any stretch)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 02:55
Dodo/Lurker is the only standout track on this mediocre album. Decent tracks: Abacab (the Three Sides Live-version is finished off well), Keep it Dark and Another Record. Me and Sarah Jane is hit and miss.

Anyway, I expect some consensus about Who Dunnit? being crap.

Edited by someone_else - November 21 2020 at 02:59
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 03:07
This... Tongue ...though obviously the album version is a bit longer...though still not long enough...
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 03:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I JUST.

WANT.

TO FIT IN.

Funny many are picking Dodo; that's the ONE track that sounds like they're genuinely trolling their audience with this album lol.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 03:15

Dodo/Lurker

I know people blame Phil for the whole going pop, but Banks and Rutherford were on it as well, especially Rutherford. And Banks is still the main songwriter after all at this point. 

Exactly, lol. I'm one of the few that likes even the "weaker" 80's Genesis stuff. I'm a sucker for high quality synth production with that classic 80's "This is the future, bro!" vibe lol.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 03:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Haven't seen the movie, but someone showed me the scene. He says Duke is the first album of theirs that really grabbed him and didn't come off as pretentious. Invisible Touch was indeed his favorite, he called it their crowning achievement or something. I should check that movie out, heard it's good.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 03:33
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Dodo/Lurker is the only standout track on this mediocre album. Decent tracks: Abacab (the Three Sides Live-version is finished off well), Keep it Dark and Another Record. Me and Sarah Jane is hit and miss.

Anyway, I expect some consensus about Who Dunnit? being crap.

Consensus denied.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 04:13
Anyone under 50 that used to play the original Mortal Kombat for the Sega Genesis, will note the blood code is ABACABB, as a pun and nod to Genesis and this recording!

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 06:53
Dodo/Lurker, so much so that at one time my wife and I had a Budgie that we named Lurker. Although that was also because it used to watch us as we got jiggy on a fur rug in the middle of the living room. Wink
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 07:55
I love Banks two major contributions to the album---Me and Sarah Jane and Dodo Lurker--voted Dodo.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 07:59
Title track. Don't ask me why because I really don't know.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>