Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something very strange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something very strange
    Posted: November 22 2020 at 05:16
I noticed something strange, I reviewed Pendragon's new album some hours ago - when it was at 300 ratings and an overall rating 4.10. All good so far, after my review the number of ratings dropped to 297, but the overall rating jumped up to 4.16 (given that my review was a 4-star one).
What is happening? Some glitches in the site? Would be good if someone clears up why this is.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 05:18
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

I noticed something strange, I reviewed Pendragon's new album some hours ago - when it was at 300 ratings and an overall rating 4.10. All good so far, after my review the number of ratings dropped to 297, but the overall rating jumped up to 4.16 (given that my review was a 4-star one).
What is happening? Some glitches in the site? Would be good if someone clears up why this is.

must have been some rating abuse that has got rid of I believe. 

Edited by Cristi - November 22 2020 at 05:19
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 05:23
Yes, it seems some loonies have been padding the Pentangle albums with 5 stars which Damo has just thrown out. I hope that was the problem you encountered. Pentangle padding? Geez, they're not King Crimson. ;)

Edited by SteveG - November 22 2020 at 05:25
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 05:38
Actually, the loonies were padding Karfagen and Modern Rock Ensemble with 5 Star ratings/reviews while bombing one stars on Pendragon/Opeth/Motorpsycho. However that Pendragon album does have quite a bit of padding itself to even the playing fields Smile imagine your sense of fulfillment being dependent on where an album you like places on a year end user-rated list

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 22 2020 at 05:44
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 05:44
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Actually, the loonies were padding Karfagen and Modern Rock Ensemble with 5 Star ratings/reviews while bombing one stars on Pendragon/Opeth/Motorpsycho. However that Pendragon album does have quite a bit of padding itself to even the playing fields Smile
Ha ha, padding karfagen and MRE with 5 stars? that's even worse! LOL

Edited by SteveG - November 22 2020 at 05:46
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Actually, the loonies were padding Karfagen and Modern Rock Ensemble with 5 Star ratings/reviews while bombing one stars on Pendragon/Opeth/Motorpsycho. However that Pendragon album does have quite a bit of padding itself to even the playing fields Smile

Both are Ukrainian bands...

If Svettie was Ukrainian, he would be my prime usual suspect. Evil Smile
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 05:59

Actually, the loonies were padding Karfagen and Modern Rock Ensemble with 5 Star ratings/reviews while bombing one stars on Pendragon/Opeth/Motorpsycho.

Jesus Christ, this is the idiotic side of places like this, a bit disappointing to see such people on PA
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 06:05
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Both are Ukrainian bands...

If Svettie was Ukrainian, he would be my prime usual suspect. Evil Smile
I've heard that Svettie has many, many cousins that look exactly like him in Ukraine. I've never met Svettie but I've always imagined that he looks and talks like Borat.

Edited by SteveG - November 22 2020 at 06:11
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 09:06
I'm still having nightmare's about Bobouli's avatar.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 09:07

Yes, it seems some loonies have been padding the Pentangle albums with 5 stars which Damo has just thrown out. I hope that was the problem you encountered. Pentangle padding? Geez, they're not King Crimson. ;)

Hi,

Again, it goes with my thoughts that the "ability" to rate something is too easy, and should be changed to a process more inclusive and beneficial to PA.

I was thinking that "reviews" have to be done only by people that get "registered" with the PA group as a REVIEWER ... and for us this would mean, an ACTIVE MEMBER of PA ... not someone just plastering ratings, because they can ... and give Damo more work that is not necessary!

It will, likely, change a lot of ratings, btw, in the end ... 

Again, this is FIX'ABLE. AND should be!

Edited by moshkito - November 22 2020 at 09:08
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 09:43
"Something very stange"........and here I was expecting a thread on ufos, bigfoot, or Trump being caught out as an alien....how disappointing it's just album ratings.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 09:47
If you want strange Doc, then check out the gurus in the General Discussions thread. ;)

Edited by SteveG - November 22 2020 at 09:48
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 09:53
How would one register to be a reviewer? Or do you mean to begin a new process that does not presently exist? Because surely anyone who is reviewing at the moment is registered?

(Don't mind me. I'm easily confused...)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 09:55
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

How would one register to be a reviewer? Or do you mean to begin a new process that does not presently exist? Because surely anyone who is reviewing at the moment is registered?

there is no registering as a reviewer. But users that are writing actively reviews will become "prog reviewers" in title. That's all. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 10:00

If you want strange Doc, then check out the gurus in the General Discussions thread. ;)
\
Yes..I noticed that thread...I think I'll post something else there in a moment.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 10:43
Karfagen, like Neal Morse (to a much lesser degree) is one of those artists that I just take 0.50 off each of their album ratings in my head, because I know their fans are gonna drop 5 stars on anything they touch even if it's the most generic lightweight modern prog in the business.

I dig Modern Rock Ensemble though.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 22 2020 at 10:48
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 12:20
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Hi,

There might/could be two "options" to the membership, and one is participate in the Forums, which would NOT entail reviews, just opinions and likes and dislikes. Another option, would likely be approved by admins, and would allow "reviews" ... this has a two fold result ... it cuts down the spams in the "reviews", many of which ARE NOT REVIEWS AT ALL (and should be removed!), while also ensuring that the content of the reviews is proper to the album and band.

Something like ... it isn't progressive because it doesn't sound like Yes or Genesis ... should never (EVER!) be allowed in a review ... and that is the main difference in what a "review" is what was is not ... and the other is the great attraction for saying how fantastic the solo of the guitar is, and then how fantastic the keyboards add to the bridge or the end. Usually that is a fan speaking ... not a review. A review would define those terms and usage WITHIN the context of the piece of music ... the fan, DOES NOT!

The main result is that it would change the contents of the "reviews" to a lot less "fan-boys" and into something explaining the music more. Right now, the reviews are insane and the bad ones in the middle of the good ones, really hurt the album and its "presence" within PA ... 

We're here to promote "progressive music", not to "fan-boy" it, or to post ridiculously silly comments.

I'm OK with opinions, but fans usually DO NOT back up the opinions, and as such ... THAT DOES NOT A REVIEW MAKE!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 12:32
is it ok if I'm Ukrainian and not a fan of both? Just askin...

try La Horsa Bianca (bandcamp), they're my current fave local prog band:

They're not on PA smh tho

Another recommendation, if you're into heavier side of things, are these dudes:

Vovk (bandcamp)

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 13:53

If you want strange Doc, then check out the gurus in the General Discussions thread.
;)

Have we had a sudden influx of tinfoil loonies?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 14:04
Well, it's a sign of the times I'm afraid.

Edited by SteveG - November 22 2020 at 14:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>