FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedREVIEW: Steve Hackett trio - Hamilton Ont

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: REVIEW: Steve Hackett trio - Hamilton Ont
    Posted: October 03 2005 at 09:37
Absolutely OUTSTANDING! What an incredible night. The trio was spot on and played a brilliant set of material. The acoustics in the Hamilton Place Studio were fantastic and I enjoyed hearing crystal clear renditions of songs like "After The Ordeal", "Second Chance", 'The Journey" and especially "Hands Of The Priestess" from my front row table. What a joy, what a treat! The studio apparently only seats about 350, so that is very intimate as far as I'm concerned. It was set up dinner-theater style, and I found that quite comfortable.  

The set was peppered with Genesis cuts as well as NINE songs from Bay Of Kings! Excellent! I also enjoyed the version of "Ace Of Wands" and "Red Flower Of Taichi..." - What struck me as amazing was that you could hear a pin drop until the final strains of the last note had faded into the air.  Steve is a true master, and his nylon guitar playing is exemplary. He does things with shapes and sounds that you simply never see done. The trio format was very cool too, they managed to pull off some sweet little arrangements (and re-arrangements) and I quite liked the medley of Sketches Of Satie material.

Meeting Steve (& John) afterwards was a dream come true. Pics taken, hands shaken, autographs (I brought Nursery Cryme because I already have Steve's sig on Live Archive box #1 and the newly remastered Acolyte. Then my fiancee and I felt bad because it was not an album that John had played on, so we got him to sign our tickets. I walked away thinking aloud, "Did I just have a chat with Steve HACKETT?!" Meeting one of your idols is pretty damn cool, and I've met several this year! I asked Steve if he had heard the new Van Der Graaf Generator album (he said he hadn't and asked me how it was and what the title is).

It sure is nice to browse such an extensive merch table as well. I noticed that they sold out of t-shirts (I was wearing mine though, got it in the mail from Camino on Friday! Just in time!) and I believe they sold out of a couple of cds. I think Steve did well for himself on the Canadian tour. It is now officially over and he is on to America. Boy howdy, are you guys in for a treat!

Flying high man, a 10/10 night. Bring on the mighty Tull tomorrow! 8)
MoodsWings View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 18:09
Thanks for the review.
I really wanted to attend that show but unfortunately I just didn't have the money for a ticket.

Hamilton Place is a nice intimate venue. I saw Jethro Tull there back in 2000.
Salmacis72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 10:07

Actually this was in the "studio" part of the Hamilton Place, which seats about 350. So that's even MORE intimate!

Speaking of Jethro Tull, I am seeing them tonight at Massey Hall in Toronto!

Here are some pics of the Hackett gig.

Post Reply Post Reply