Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pre-Revolution Psychedelic Rock from Iran: 1973–79
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-Revolution Psychedelic Rock from Iran: 1973–79

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nfnnfn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-Revolution Psychedelic Rock from Iran: 1973–79
    Posted: November 24 2020 at 12:08
Hello All,

I checked for Kourosh Yaghmaei and found this older post from 2010 and couldn't add to it as it's closed.

3 years after the above post, Now-Again Records in Los Angeles, California, that reissues and manages a vast catalog of music from the 1950s with a focus on the mid-1960s through the mid-1980s, released high quality versions of Kourosh's psychedelic era, called "Back from the Brink". I really think it is worth checking and evaluating this again to be hopefully included in the website. The entire album is so beautiful. Specifically, I recommend the 2 tracks "Khaar" and "Mosafere Shar Baran"; but it has 30 tracks and there are more you can discover yourself. I listened to many many albums found here in Progarchives website, that are already included in the website, but some of them are not even close to this album or some of these tracks.
You can listen to the entire album here:
Excerpt from Wikipedia: His styles of music are a mixture of Persian traditional music and the protein 1970s rock influenced by bands and artists such as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Most of Yaghmaei's works used the Vox Continental. Yaghmaei has unique Iranian style of psychedelic rock and blues-rock music. He brought a lot of innovation to Iranian rock, using the keyboard as the rhythm of the song instead of the guitar is part of this innovation. Such as describing a melancholic picture, blues riffs, strings and analog synthesizer sounds make a feeling that settles in the heart. As the songs last for 6 to 8 minutes approximately, many progressive movements could easily be a part of the music. According to Iranian writer Ebrahim Nabavi, "Yaghmaei has had a profound impact on Psychedelic rock in Iran." Yaghmaei is known as the father of Iranian rock music because of his deep influence on Iranian rock music. "He was one of the people who was doing the Western-Eastern kind of hybrid music the right way," says Ashkan Kooshanejad, a British-Iranian composer.

Excerpt from Now-Again Records: is proud to present Back from the Brink, the only legitimately licensed collection of the godfather of Iranian psychedelic rock, Kourosh Yaghmaei. Kourosh Yaghmaei and his brothers Kamran and Kambiz were amongst the few inspired Iranian musicians determined to change Tehran’s musical landscape in the late 60’s and early 70’s. The trio, armed with rented, second-hand instruments and records by The Ventures, The Kinks, The Doors, merged Western garage rock, psychedelia and Iranian folkloric music to create a sound unlike anything that came before them. Later, inspired by the unlikely duo of Elton John and James Taylor, Kourosh’s music took a sophisticated turn, and he churned out funky, progressive rock that is as imminently enjoyable as it is impossible to categorize.

Edited by nfnnfn - November 25 2020 at 10:02
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 15:36
^ Thanks, I started listening to the album on bandcamp. Enjoyable music.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 17:22
I often enjoy hearing fusions of conventional Western rock idioms with folk from other lands, so I'll check this out!!  Thanks!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 03:13
both albums are an interesting listen for sure, vintage folk and psychedelia overall, rooted in Iranian musical tradition
anyway, this does not fit our progressive rock scope

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 03:17
Since the Islamic metal scene is ever flourishing in Iran (former Persia), this thread rapidly appealed to me because I'm into prog and psychedelia in the Islamic world. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pre-Revolution in Iran means during the Mohammad Reza Pahlavi regime.....
the infamous Shah of Persia.

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 03:21
I can see where the pre Rev psychedelic rock scene in Iran comes from.....it comes from an everlasting will of the Persians (Iranians) to turn a horrorific page in their very ancient history and give sincere BLOWS to the then monarchy which bashed the people senseless in that country.
Psychedelic rock has always meant counter-culture in the West......same thing goes for any other part of the world, I guess :):)
nfnnfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nfnnfn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 09:08
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ Thanks, I started listening to the album on bandcamp. Enjoyable music.

Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

both albums are an interesting listen for sure, vintage folk and psychedelia overall, rooted in Iranian musical tradition
anyway, this does not fit our progressive rock scope

It is perhaps not as proggy, I mean not even comparable to some of the 70s gems !!! But, I am glad you guys found it enjoyable. Smile I did as well and ordered the vinyl immediately. It's ridiculously inexpensive for 30 hit songs from his 70s albums.  Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 12:32
^^ I would add that what "does not fit our progressive rock scope" today was incredibly progressive for Iran in the 60s-70s.
nfnnfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nfnnfn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 14:33

^^ I would add that what "does not fit our progressive rock scope" today was incredibly progressive for Iran in the 60s-70s.

Well said Clap
I think "progressive" term can sometimes be very vague. With so many amazing bands and albums during that 70s time, it's very easy to drop albums like this from the prog list, even if they were so avant-garde at a given time and location. Maybe that's something adjustable in the Progarchives constitution ?! Smile

I can bring even more examples from that era in Iran if you enjoyed:
Pomegranates - Persian Pop, Funk, Folk and Psych of the 60s and 70s - various artists

Other notable examples after revolution in Iran:  [this is definitely very proggy music wise]

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 15:03
^ Thanks, will give a listen. It's a good chance to discover something new.

I have to say that even if we realise that some music is progressive for some space and time inclusion of artists on PA is in genre teams' hands. 
And teams' work isn't easy - they can't include everything they like, but sometimes they have to include artists they dislike. Smile Their task is to define whether the band (artist) "fits progressive rock scope" (unfortunate guys, they don't belong to themselves Smile). That's how PA works.

Edited by NotAProghead - November 25 2020 at 15:09
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 15:11
^yep. exactly, it's not about being progressive as such, it's about fitting the progressive rock scope defined by the progarchives teams ...

nfnnfn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nfnnfn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 15:36

^ Thanks, will give a listen. It's a good chance to discover something new.
I have to say that even if we realise that some music is progressive for some space and time inclusion of artists on PA is in genre teams' hands. 
And teams' work isn't easy - they can't include everything they like, but sometimes they have to include artists they dislike. Smile Their task is to define whether the band (artist) "fits progressive rock scope" (unfortunate guys, they don't belong to themselves Smile). That's how PA works.
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

^yep. exactly, it's not about being progressive as such, it's about fitting the progressive rock scope defined by the progarchives teams ...

Gotcha; when I see it from your perspective, indeed it is not very easy and actually can become very difficult at times, especially when it comes to making decision about albums with a mixture of so many genres.

Looks like it is a lot easier to make decisions about albums, that are even labeled as a completely different genre than prog rock (like Passion by Peter Gabriel) if the band/artist had released some obvious prog albums prior to that and has been included already.

I am so curious to know what you guys think of Toranj album by Mohsen Namjoo, which I shared in my previous post.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 17:06
Originally posted by nfnnfn nfnnfn wrote:

Gotcha; when I see it from your perspective, indeed it is not very easy and actually can become very difficult at times, especially when it comes to making decision about albums with a mixture of so many genres.
As far as I can tell it depends on the mixture. If some tracks of the album are prog and some not it's hard to qulify the album as prog release. But if tracks belong to different prog sub-genres, it's the work of genre teams to decide.

Looks like it is a lot easier to make decisions about albums, that are even labeled as a completely different genre than prog rock (like Passion by Peter Gabriel) if the band/artist had released some obvious prog albums prior to that and has been included already.
In general to be included on PA, the band has to have some number of fully prog albums. In other words, record your "The Yes Album", "Close To The Edge" and "Relayer" and then you may sing your "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" and as many pop tunes as you want. Smile

I am so curious to know what you guys think of Toranj album by Mohsen Namjoo, which I shared in my previous post.
I've listened to the album briefly and was not impressed. Probably because I don't understand lyrics or because I stuck to the 70s sound. And the album doesn't sound like prog to my ears.

But I like this video (you posted the link) a lot:

No matter that it's not rock. Thanks for sharing this!
 Post Reply Post Reply