Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll # -45 (or something)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Which three are your favorites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [20.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
3 [12.00%]
1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll # -45 (or something)
    Posted: December 12 2020 at 22:29
You are right,, Anders, it has bite, and actually it came close to my podium. I really can’t trust my memory or faculties these days. — the last one you posted is smoother.. Listening again and I think it’s very good, and could be on that podium now.

Edited by Logan - December 12 2020 at 22:31
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 21:24
I think the quirks lie mostly in his lyrics; they are by far his greatest strength. I don't know if I would call the music smoothy though, but it's not avant-garde of course.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 18:07
An issue I have with C.V. Jørgensen is that it sounds too smooth to me (part of it is the production values). I tend to favour more quirky ones.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 17:27
So not much love for C.V. Jørgensen. Maybe I should have showed a greater span of his carreer. F.e. in 1994 his music sounded like this:

But then I personally like the years 1977 to 1982 the most.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 07:13
OK, here we go... Actually, my "album-side" top three would be different compared to my song top three.
Regarding my album-side votes there was only one that I didn't hesitate about: Pram - they get my first vote. The first time I listened to it with Blue included. Yesterday without Blue, which brought up a slight reserve: Blue has a long instrumental passage, which is actually quite interesting and welcome. Without Blue included the thought came to me that the singing, on the long run (an entire album?), might become a bit annoying. This could easily be undercut (and it is maybe what they do?) by more instrumental passages or tracks. Anyway, this doesn't change my vote.

Then, I first thought that Radian would be an obvious second vote, untill I listened to some of the others again... So, deciding on the two votes left between Radian, My Morning Jacket, Azam Ali and Litania wasn't easy. As album side-selection I finally vote for Radian and My Morning Jacket, who - to my ears - bring a bit more diversity between the songs.

Most of the other suggestions were good listens (and sometimes discoveries) too. Dara is growing on me with some of the songs (acquiring the taste re. the singin), it was great to hear some 80s Helloween again - after all these years! - and there's a lot of musicality in both Jorgensen and Shawn Smith... Great selections and great listens!

If I had to choose some favourite songs, there would be some more and other contenders and since we're not voting for songs but for album sides I am ranking them in no particular order. These songs, after several listens, stood out for me:
- Pram: Blue
- My Morning Jacket: Smokin' from Shootin'
- Azam Ali: either Endless Reverie or My Ode to Melancholy
- Litania: either Madre or Intimisto
- Radian: Scary Objects
- Dara: Trei peceți

The current lockdown is actually quite welcome to find the time to listen to all these gems several times. You gave us some homewrok, Mike, but it was a very good poll idea!  Clap to you and to all!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 02:31
Still don't have my final top 3. My top 2 is more or less set, but there are many contenders for the third place and it's between very different artists... Will listen to it again and... "I'll be back..."

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:26
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

@ Lorenzo: Sorry I made you Francesco! Just before I got an email from a Francesco...

Yes, it's ok, like Francesco Guccini, my favourite Italian "cantautore" (singer-songwriter)! Wink
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:26
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Fair enough... I have observed this in some other people (like some Italians with French music etc.), but I really feel bad about it - I know that this shows some kind of... lack of objectivity, and for the wrong reasons. Still it is as it is. (And chances are I wouldn't have liked the voice that much in a different language either, like a number of other voices in this poll.)

Guess you're not much of a Dylan fan either?

Haha, Joergensen over Dylan night and day! (I do love Hurricane though.)

Edited by Lewian - December 10 2020 at 16:27
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:25
@ Lorenzo: Sorry I made you Francesco! Just before I got an email from a Francesco...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:22

Fair enough... I have observed this in some other people (like some Italians with French music etc.), but I really feel bad about it - I know that this shows some kind of... lack of objectivity, and for the wrong reasons. Still it is as it is. (And chances are I wouldn't have liked the voice that much in a different language either, like a number of other voices in this poll.)

Guess you're not much of a Dylan fan either?

Edited by The Anders - December 10 2020 at 16:22
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:20
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

CV Joergensen: Top notch musicality, wonderful arrangements, and at times very well working catchy melodies; but once more I have a hard time with the voice (I know why instrumentals are pervasive in my collection) - and actually Danish language, sorry, may have to do with the fact that I'm from northern Germany and language-neighbours often do things in such a counterintuitive way different from oneself that this seems wrong even though of course objectively it's just what it is, another language.

Well, I often listen to music in neighbour languages, and I never have that issue.

Edited by Lewian - December 10 2020 at 16:21
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:20
And here's to you my playlist (one song per artist):

1) My Morning Jackets: One Big Holiday

This song is the best as a trailblazer, because it is overwhelming

2) Azam Ali: El Rey de Francia

3) Pram: Blue

4) Kat Onoma:  Artificiel life

5) C.V. Jorgensen: Indian Summer

6) Radian: Subcolors (live)

7) Shawn Smith: The Day Brings (live)

8) Dara: Trei Peceti

9) Helloween: Forever and One (Neverland)

10) Giovanni Lindo Ferretti & Ambrogio Sparagna: Intimisto

Intimisto is surely indicated as final track.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - December 10 2020 at 16:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:15

CV Joergensen: Top notch musicality, wonderful arrangements, and at times very well working catchy melodies; but once more I have a hard time with the voice (I know why instrumentals are pervasive in my collection) - and actually Danish language, sorry, may have to do with the fact that I'm from northern Germany and language-neighbours often do things in such a counterintuitive way different from oneself that this seems wrong even though of course objectively it's just what it is, another language.

Well, I often listen to music in neighbour languages, and I never have that issue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:11
Ok, here's to you my ranking:

PODIUM: 

1) Pram

2) Dara

For the bronze medal, competition was great, and it was not easy to decide, there were three in contention: The Morning Jackets, Azam Ali and Shawn Smith, in the end I chose 

3) My Morning Jackets

-------

Honorable mentions:

4) Azam Ali

5) Shawn Smith

Plus, other mentions for originality that inspires curiosity:

6) Radian

7) Kat Onoma

Edited by jamesbaldwin - December 10 2020 at 16:14
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:09
Dara: Another case of high level musicianship and sparkling arrangements with a voice that I find hard to get into. For me this is surely prog, the great thing about this is dynamics, a masterful journey through different energy levels.

Helloween: Although this is not my kind of music, I'm happy to have it here to make me listen to some solid metal for once. I hear they're good at what they're doing, so rock on!

Pram should be up there with Litania, and then a draw between Dara and Azam Ali... I could drop Pram for the sole reason that I know some of their stuff, that'd make things easier. Yeah, I think I do it like this, Logan you know I loved your Pram selection anyway!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:06
rushfan4 - Helloween

It seems right that a Rush fan should be passionate about Helloween, who in my opinion owe Rush for example in singing. The songs are all pure hard rock, almost heavy metal, in a fairly standard way, with great sonic power, and as often happens with these bands, their best vein is the melodic and sentimental one, which is seen in the fourth song, I always think that hard men (hard music, therefore) are incurable romantics and sentimentals. So the ballad is excellent, which then explodes in the chorus. Among the most rock songs my favorite is the first.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:04

Azam Ali: The best voice around in this poll, and that's a big asset as I have my problems with quite a number of the singers. The hypnotic style with strong eastern impact is also a winner for me. An issue is that most tracks don't surprise me much once having started.

Thank you, Lewian.  I agree, it's certainly not progressive, no surprises, really.  But I do like a bit of trance-y stuff from time to time (probably vestiges of my love for psychedelic music), and I do enjoy her very much.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 15:54

Shawn Smith: Very mixed bunch here. 20th Century would have grabbed a vote among the top 3 songs for sure, if not even as number one, outstanding! I seem to like the funky side more, same with Battle Flag, but the other three sound like too many things I have heard already.

Litania: Thanks Lorenzo for introducing me to so much and so varied music of the country I choose to live in. Like many things you have posted in this poll series, this is profound and moving, and also full of musical ideas and melodies to remember. No way to vote around this.

Edited by Lewian - December 10 2020 at 16:25
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 15:45
Lewian (Christian) - Radian

The first song, tg11, is electromagnetic interference, they are background noises, like John Cage's minute of silence: honestly, in these cases, when the noise is not at the service of the music, I feel nothing. 

The second song, Scary objects, is always based on noise, they are mechanical percussion, then around a minute and a half comes the drums, and a semblance of music around two minutes. The song is at least less monotonous than the first, around three minutes the "rhythmic noises" stop and then start again. I must say that I really like the video. 

The third song, always minimalistic, live, finally comes to be music. The sound stops around 4 minutes, then the drums play free jazz, there is a certain progression, for the first time the music is not just cerebral coldness. Ok, it is avantguarde. In my opinion we are in a very different field from the first song, and also the second one, and as far as I can understand, here listening becomes much more interesting, because it touches the emotions, while before it was above all sensory curiosity for the strange. noises. This song is definitely two cutes above the others, in my opinion.

Cristi - Dara
 Dara Aura, the first song has a long intro and only halfway through takes off, the vocals are interesting, and the ending reminds me a bit of Tool. I understand the idea of ​​inserting it in Pa. Unfortunately, singing doesn't excite me at the end. 

The second song, a good eight minutes, has a very strong emotionally part, with an almost melodic interlude. This seems to me remarkable. 

The third song also transmits an enormous energetic charge, the sound is saturated, and I perceive its charge, even if in these cases after a while I would prefer a ballad to dissolve the tension, which otherwise reaches the emotional over-saturation and therefore takes a detachment, here we come close but I resist. 

With the last song comes the ballad too! I would have put it second to last, however, this group is in my opinion considerable, with the risk of overdoing it but considerable. Podium candidate.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - December 10 2020 at 15:46
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 15:38
Ok, here we are...
My Morning Jacket: Very competent music and lots of variety. The voice is not my cup of tea and generally it's all a bit too conventional for me, but Highly Suspicious is great fun.

Azam Ali: The best voice around in this poll, and that's a big asset as I have my problems with quite a number of the singers. The hypnotic style with strong eastern impact is also a winner for me. An issue is that most tracks don't surprise me much once having started.

Pram: Only artist here I know beyond having heard one or two. I have two of their albums and know two of these songs but the rest tells me clearly that I should explore their work more. Wonderful tricky arrangements and a very charming singer.

Kat Onoma: This has taken me some time to get into, and I guess it's one of these "I have to be in the right mood" bands. I didn't like the voice initially but in most of these songs it clicked at second or third attempt - I still can't get into the first one which kind of threw me initially, but it becomes so much better later; particularly the voice is very fitting for what it expresses and does.. Not sure yet whether it's enough for top 3, let's see.

Edited by Lewian - December 10 2020 at 15:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>