Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll # -45 (or something)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: Which three are your favorites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [20.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
3 [12.00%]
1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 09:40
I have listed the applicants in the voting section above, but voting does not officially start until December 9th (Wednesday).  If anyone still wants to add an artist, feel free to do so until then and I will add it to the list.  In the meantime, everyone take the time to listen to the selections as you have until Sunday the 13th to get your votes in.  

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 11:46
I hope I got it right: We are going to vote three times as usual, but this time the votes go to three selections of songs by their respective artists, rather than one song from each selection (as nominated by each player)?

Edited by The Anders - December 07 2020 at 11:47
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 15:07
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I hope I got it right: We are going to vote three times as usual, but this time the votes go to three selections of songs by their respective artists, rather than one song from each selection (as nominated by each player)?

Yes, this time vote for the artist based on the songs that are listed.  Vote for your 3 favorite artists, not the songs.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 09:19
Voting is open.  Pick your favorite three artists based on the songs posted.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 10:49
Giving another listen to figure out my third choice, thank you for this poll, Mike!  I think it was an excellent idea and may have had more entrants without the US holiday (and now the regular ones).  I loved having more time to really listen, though.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 11:05
OK, doing this differently than I usually do, with not repeating the winners' notes, as this is about the whole shmuguggie (another technical term).  

1.  Litania (Giovanni Lindo Ferretti & Ambrogio Sparagna) ~ Probably no surprise, as this is right up one my alleys.  I found it just beautifully done.

2.  My Morning Jacket ~ These guys were in a fierce battle for versatility in my mind with Shawn Smith, but won out on a second listen, although both of them showed varying sides of themselves.  

3.  Radian ~ Probably the surprise, for me to select them 3rd, as there were several more in my usual "types," to choose from amongst all of the entrants.  That live piece, especially, just grabbed me, as I felt more of their psychedelic edge in that one, so it had to be the dark horse for me. 

Again, wow....this was, in some ways, a tougher assignment, as we all had to think of perhaps, a "greatest hits," side or at maybe a "sign me, sign me," demo for each of these artists (although they certainly are not demo quality, of course).  

Thank you to Mike for the clever twist, Lorenzo for being the initiator and to everyone who participated in this one, as well as all of the others we've done along the way.  Clap Clap Clap  

Edited by Snicolette - December 09 2020 at 18:45
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 11:17
My Morning Jacket
Shawn Smith (& etc) - if I knew i could post an artist in several projects/bands, I would have done it as well. 
Helloween

Edited by Cristi - December 09 2020 at 11:17
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 13:23
I have wanted to comment on the choices, but I haven't felt comfortable with my ability to convey my impressions, make the right associations, or in general find the right words. I really appreciate those who have taken the time to comment on the selections -- the insight and expression has stirred my loins... or stirred something, can't think of the right word. Suffice to say, my martini has been shaken. I enjoyed listening through these.

By the way, when it came to my choice, I didn't try to make a best of or a sign up demo per se, I just chose one track per album in order of album release that I appreciate and to go with some diversity. It says a lot about my somewhat peculiar tastes.

As for my votes (sans exposition) in order of entry per what I'm most into du jour (went for these three in the end):

My Morning Jacket
Kat Onoma
Litania (Giovanni Lindo Ferritti & Amborgio Sparagna)

And Radian was of much interest and I will return to it more.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 14:46
I need to go through it all again before I can vote, but I think I have decided on at least two bands.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 15:23
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Again, wow....this was, in some ways, a tougher assignment, as we all had to think of perhaps, a "greatest hits," side or at maybe a "sign me, sign me," demo for each of these artists (although they certainly are not demo quality, of course).  

Thank you to Mike for the clever twist, Lorenzo for being the initiator and to everyone who participated in this one, as well as all of the others we've done along the way.  Clap Clap Clap  

Indeed. Have now listened at least twice to everything but still can't put my impressions in words.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 18:15
Suitkees: Kat Onoma

1) From Pompeii. It's a great intro, atmospheric, with a very warm voice. 2) Intro: ok, this is really an intro! ;-) 3) Riverrun: here we must send this military march. There is still the contrast between the warm voice and the noisy music. 4) Que sera votre vie: This song, which looks like movie music, has the merit of the French language, which always attracts me, too bad the singer doesn't sing and is limited to recited words !!! 5) Artificiel life: this is the most aggressive song, and it is the one I like best, here in my opinion the contribution of the singer's vocals is more balanced with the arranged sounds 6) Old Trouble has a noisy background, in fact it is a ballad but very anomalous. Overall, good music, an excellent warm voice, irregular, anomalous background music, which tries to create a slightly noir atmosphere, between commercial and sophisticated music.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 18:22
This was tougher than I thought it would be.  In the end, I ended up with this:

1. Radian - Lewian always seems to post music that I find very interesting.
2. Dara - Love the post mentality of this music that sits somewhere between solid post rock and heavy post metal, but never seemed to get stale for me.  Hopefully Cristi will get this one added to the Archives.
3. This one was a toss up between C.V. Jorgensen, Pram, Kat Onoma and Azam Ali, but after relistening a few times, I decided on Kat Onoma.

Excellent entries as usual everyone.  Thanks for your participation!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 18:33
The Anders - Jorgensen

The first song is danceable, very light and commercial, and indeed it sounds like West Coast American. And I, like The Dude Lebowskj, can't stand the Eagles (it's not entirely true, I also like various songs a lot, but the styles make me sick in the long run). No, this song doesn't excite me. 

The second has a syncopated bluesy rhythm, and we've improved the situation a lot. Always very commercial but this song is very catchy, almost funky I would say. The arrangement is great. 

The third song also starts this with the drums in evidence. I must say that I was expecting a more folk singer-songwriter, but here we are in the commercial field. Nice song, but melodically it doesn't take off. 

Fourth song, here the sound is much more experimental, the song is not based on a danceable rhythm like the others: in my opinion it is a cut above the previous ones, especially compared to the first and third. Of course I'm talking about my tastes. But this song is much better for me.

Here, on the whole I see: one great song from all points of view, one good song, one nice but not very characterized song and finally one song that I don't like very much.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 19:05
mathman - shawn smith

Shawn Smith. First song: Good melodic piece with excellent piano intro. Second song: funky, cute but doesn't take off. Third song much more of a melodic songwriter, here we are in melodic rock genre, especially thanks to his voice, which is very gritty. This is the best song so far. This song totally shifts the center of gravity of music from melodic rock to noisy funk, and unfortunately I don't like these electronic sounds. Last song with him on the piano, and what a figure! He does a lot of character dressed like that and with a long beard, and here again we are at a high level, to me he seems above all a singer-songwriter a la Billy Joel, but more rock, here he gives his best, also thanks to his vocal skills. Happy to have met him. Here I see three excellent pieces, two indeed almost masterpieces, one good and one that I really don't like but I guess it was also put on to show its versatility ... podium? hmmm?

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 19:56

I am happy to be back as active here and good to see these interactive posts are still.. active.

I am not sure if I am eligible to vote so have entered my choices below.

This was a really interesting thread and idea. I first went through all the songs from each artist and picked my favorite song from each artist. Then I had my top 10 songs, one from each artist. Now I could listen to 10 songs and make my pick comparisons and choose an order of liked artists: Top 3 then the rest.

1. My Morning Jacket

2. Azam Ali

3. Radian

4. Pram

5. Kat Onoma

6. Dara

7. Shawn Smith

8. Litania

9. C.V. Jorgensen

10. Helloween

Here is a breakdown of my thoughts on each artist.

My Morning Jacket

After first listening I initially though I would be choosing It Beats 4 U but after the second time I had changed to Moving Away. It was thoughtful, dreamy and wanting. It just had more that appealed to me than the other tracks.

Azam Ali

Again, after first listening I felt for sure I would be going for Endless Reverie as I really dig the vibe but after 2nd listening of the tracks I swayed towards the live performance (and i tried not to watch it to away my feelings). What a tender and genuine voice and expression.

Pram

I was going to select Blue as my pick for Pram but then I saw Logan asked it be taken off? I loved the drums and the general groove of this tune so my back up for Pram would be Mother of Pearl which was kind of cheerful melancholy, especially comes out towards the last 3rd of the track and loved that double bass.

Kat Onoma

This was a hard one and had to listen to the tracks a few times. I liked the whole feel of each song and it gave me a weird feeling that Jonny Cash and Billy Idol had somehow become a musical hybrid. I particularly liked Riverrun and how it chugged along.

C.V. Jorgensen

This pick was particularly difficult since I only really liked one tune and forced myself to listen to all over and over until I knew why I had chosen it. It was Balladen Om Mickey Lama. It did make me think of Floyd ala Dogs/Time.

Radian

I did like that this was posted in stages in this thread and not all at once. I think it may have affected the way I chose my favorite for Radian. Shift was my favorite. I must have been in the mood for some white noise blended with some strange, moody, murky and dangerous undertones.

Shawn Smith

A nice selection to decide from. I ended up with the ballad Wrapped in My Memory. I liked his voice and the commercial value of the tune in general.

Litania

This took me 2 hours to get through. Lorenzo has opened my ears and eyes to so much more on these interactive polls. I would not usually get to listen to such music. I did have to break it up and came back a few times to each track. I always like the emotion so went with Madre.

Dara

Nothing really struck me from all the songs at first. It took a couple of listens to whittle it down to between Bocetul Firii and Unde Desarte. I can quite make up my mind as each listen the songs take on a different personality. I will edit and update later.

Helloween

Helloween seemed to not really be my cup of tea but for just sending us back to the 90s the track Forever and One got my pick.

Edited by tigerfeet - December 09 2020 at 19:59
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 20:33
Anyone can vote for three artists whether they participated or not (or unless one has newbie status, although then one could still share it in a post). As It’s about the whole A side choices rather than individual songs per se (which is not to say that individual tracks don’t matter of course) and there is a maximum length I made a decision I did not like.   I did regret not going with “Blue” as that is a particular favourite by Pram off what is often considered to be Pram’s best album, but I went well over the 25 minutes with it. I cut it cause it is the longest and it was either remove that or two songs from my official selection (I had hoped to cover plenty of Pram albums). Another of my Pram favourites is longer still, but due to length I left it off (the Progger in me often favours long tracks). I thought about changing my choices after reading the comments, and because I was not at all happy with my decision, but opted not to log in to PA for a while. That people might have heard it who are keen listeners is enough for me, and the votes themselves are not that important to me.

Edited by Logan - December 09 2020 at 20:34
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 22:51
Originally posted by tigerfeet tigerfeet wrote:

I am happy to be back as active here and good to see these interactive posts are still.. active.

I am not sure if I am eligible to vote so have entered my choices below.

This was a really interesting thread and idea. I first went through all the songs from each artist and picked my favorite song from each artist. Then I had my top 10 songs, one from each artist. Now I could listen to 10 songs and make my pick comparisons and choose an order of liked artists: Top 3 then the rest.

1. My Morning Jacket

2. Azam Ali

3. Radian

4. Pram

5. Kat Onoma

6. Dara

7. Shawn Smith

8. Litania

9. C.V. Jorgensen

10. Helloween

Here is a breakdown of my thoughts on each artist.

My Morning Jacket

After first listening I initially though I would be choosing It Beats 4 U but after the second time I had changed to Moving Away. It was thoughtful, dreamy and wanting. It just had more that appealed to me than the other tracks.

Azam Ali

Again, after first listening I felt for sure I would be going for Endless Reverie as I really dig the vibe but after 2nd listening of the tracks I swayed towards the live performance (and i tried not to watch it to away my feelings). What a tender and genuine voice and expression.

Pram

I was going to select Blue as my pick for Pram but then I saw Logan asked it be taken off? I loved the drums and the general groove of this tune so my back up for Pram would be Mother of Pearl which was kind of cheerful melancholy, especially comes out towards the last 3rd of the track and loved that double bass.

Kat Onoma

This was a hard one and had to listen to the tracks a few times. I liked the whole feel of each song and it gave me a weird feeling that Jonny Cash and Billy Idol had somehow become a musical hybrid. I particularly liked Riverrun and how it chugged along.

C.V. Jorgensen

This pick was particularly difficult since I only really liked one tune and forced myself to listen to all over and over until I knew why I had chosen it. It was Balladen Om Mickey Lama. It did make me think of Floyd ala Dogs/Time.

Radian

I did like that this was posted in stages in this thread and not all at once. I think it may have affected the way I chose my favorite for Radian. Shift was my favorite. I must have been in the mood for some white noise blended with some strange, moody, murky and dangerous undertones.

Shawn Smith

A nice selection to decide from. I ended up with the ballad Wrapped in My Memory. I liked his voice and the commercial value of the tune in general.

Litania

This took me 2 hours to get through. Lorenzo has opened my ears and eyes to so much more on these interactive polls. I would not usually get to listen to such music. I did have to break it up and came back a few times to each track. I always like the emotion so went with Madre.

Dara

Nothing really struck me from all the songs at first. It took a couple of listens to whittle it down to between Bocetul Firii and Unde Desarte. I can quite make up my mind as each listen the songs take on a different personality. I will edit and update later.

Helloween

Helloween seemed to not really be my cup of tea but for just sending us back to the 90s the track Forever and One got my pick.

Interesting way to vote for all of them, in order of preference, on how they were presented.  Thank you for your thoughts, it's another way of thinking of these polls.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 09:32
Anyone is eligible to vote in these polls any time, even if you didn't post any artists.  Of course, you can also post artists in any future polls too.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 10:07
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

OK, doing this differently than I usually do, with not repeating the winners' notes, as this is about the whole shmuguggie (another technical term).  

1.  Litania (Giovanni Lindo Ferretti & Ambrogio Sparagna) ~ Probably no surprise, as this is right up one my alleys.  I found it just beautifully done.

2.  My Morning Jacket ~ These guys were in a fierce battle for versatility in my mind with Shawn Smith, but won out on a second listen, although both of them showed varying sides of themselves.  

3.  Radian ~ Probably the surprise, for me to select them 3rd, as there were several more in my usual "types," to choose from amongst all of the entrants.  That live piece, especially, just grabbed me, as I felt more of their psychedelic edge in that one, so it had to be the dark horse for me. 

Glad to know you have enjoyed Litania!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 10:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Anyone can vote for three artists whether they participated or not (or unless one has newbie status, although then one could still share it in a post). As It’s about the whole A side choices rather than individual songs per se (which is not to say that individual tracks don’t matter of course) and there is a maximum length I made a decision I did not like.   I did regret not going with “Blue” as that is a particular favourite by Pram off what is often considered to be Pram’s best album, but I went well over the 25 minutes with it. I cut it cause it is the longest and it was either remove that or two songs from my official selection (I had hoped to cover plenty of Pram albums). Another of my Pram favourites is longer still, but due to length I left it off (the Progger in me often favours long tracks). I thought about changing my choices after reading the comments, and because I was not at all happy with my decision, but opted not to log in to PA for a while. That people might have heard it who are keen listeners is enough for me, and the votes themselves are not that important to me.

Glad to know you have enjoyed Litania.

In my opinion, "Blue" by Pram is a wonderful song.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>