Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wishbone Ash - Coat of Arms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wishbone Ash - Coat of Arms
    Posted: November 26 2020 at 04:11
 Smile I'm listening to Coat of Arms right now and I must admit the goosebumps I get are the same as when I listened to Argus (my first contact with this HUGE band) for the first time ! My fav song off this ripper album so far has got to be Empty Man...it sounds like Jethro Tull meets King Crimson somewhere down the line. 
I had lost touch with Ash thru the years and I have to thank the people on this forum who mentioned this new album !!ClapClap

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:09
Crimson...?  Maybe Tull meets Dire Straits....some of the guitar parts where it's pickling reminds me of Knopfler...which is ok , but I don't here that old Argus Wishbone Ash sound,,,,,decent lp but just doesn;t give me that same vibe.
I only have the first 3 lp's  by them..all bought in the orginal time frame...for some reason stopped buying them after that...so many other bands i was discovering back then,,,,I do neeed to ck out some of the others over the last 40 years....;)...btw if you are a fan what can you tell me about the one Wetton is on....Number the Brave...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Crimson...?  Maybe Tull meets Dire Straits....some of the guitar parts where it's pickling reminds me of Knopfler...which is ok , but I don't here that old Argus Wishbone Ash sound,,,,,decent lp but just doesn;t give me that same vibe.
I only have the first 3 lp's  by them..all bought in the orginal time frame...for some reason stopped buying them after that...so many other bands i was discovering back then,,,,I do neeed to ck out some of the others over the last 40 years....;)...btw if you are a fan what can you tell me about the one Wetton is on....Number the Brave...?

Well, Wetton replaced the original bass player / vocalist Martin Turner of course in WA (Wetton came from King Crimson and Uriah Heep) and played on Number the Brave.....his basslines are quite harmonious (like good basslines should be) and he did give a a great contribution to that album even though Wetton has a diff style to Turner. Anyway, WA have always been prone to huge line-up changes down the line and the 'new entry' Bob Skeat is another pleasant change to the band :)
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:47
Coat of Arms line-up:

Andy Powell – guitar, vocals
Mark Abrahams – guitar
Bob Skeat – bass
Joe Crabtree – drums
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 20:49
I am a huge Wishbone Ash fan and have seen them a few times over the years including just a few years back on the West Coast of the US where the crowd numbered about 200 in a tiny venue. 

I am just getting into this album and listening to it over and over see if it gives me that Argus feeling

The prior studio album Blue Horizon from 2014 was just amazing and had some raw energy. 

For anyone interested their semi-acoustic album Bare Bones is a real gem and gives an entirely different side to the modern version of Wishbone Ash. 

Anyhow my fav song from Coast of Arms so far is this one which happens to be very Arguusssy

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 09:58
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Number The Brave isn't great IMO, the title track is the highlight. The problem is they got Wetton in purely as a bass player even though he had a good voice and songwriting skills. Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefield, neither of whom had strong voices, shared the lead vocals and only one Wetton song was included. He quit the band soon afterwards.

If you're looking for later Ash albums to investigate I'd recommend There's The Rub, No Smoke Without Fire and New England to start with. Followed by Just Testing and Here To Hear. The more recent album by Martin Turner, Written In The Stars, also has a classic Wishbone Ash vibe to it even though it was released in 2016.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 12:01
After discovering Wishbone Ash on PA a few years ago, I got the first six albums.

Although my favorite albums are Argus and the debut album Wishbone Ash (their two highest rated albums on PA), I really enjoy Ballad Of The Beacon, Everybody Needs A Friend and Sorrel from Wishbone Four and Persephone, Lady Jay and F*U*B*B from There's the Rub.

The only reason I got the low-rated Locked In album is because I got as a 2 album compilation with There's The Rub that was cheaper than the There's The Rub CD by itself...

I definitely plan on buying Coat of Arms soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply