Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best endings in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 22:25
I really like the ending to "dancing with the moonlit knight." They almost invented new age music with that. I also like "lady fantasy." The mellotron at the end is a nice touch.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 05:13
To parrot what a few have already said:

Awaken by Yes
Shadow of the Hierophant by Steve Hackett
The Everso Closely Guarded Line by Cardiacs

Majestic, uplifting, powerful..beautiful.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 07:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I really like the ending to "dancing with the moonlit knight." They almost invented new age music with that. I also like "lady fantasy." The mellotron at the end is a nice touch.

Never noticed the mellotron on Lady Fantasy, i'm supposed to be the Camel fiend here Smile Regarding moonlit knight, does Tubular Bells count as new age? Cause that beat Moonlit Knight by a few months. And Popol Vuh trumps both of them

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 27 2020 at 07:27
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 08:20
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Never noticed the mellotron on Lady Fantasy, i'm supposed to be the Camel fiend here Smile Regarding moonlit knight, does Tubular Bells count as new age? Cause that beat Moonlit Knight by a few months. And Popol Vuh trumps both of them

Actually side two of Ash Ra Tempel's first album has them all beat in the proto new age category. ;) Ok, maybe not Popol Vuh though. Not sure.

Anyway, yeah that's definitely a "mellie" at the end of LF. Listen again. It starts to kick in towards the end of the long guitar and organ jam then you hear it(admittedly somewhat in the background) when the guitar line that was heard in the beginning comes on again. They didn't use a tron a whole lot but they did use it. There's also a nice mellotron section in the procession part of nimrodel/procession/the white rider on mirage.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 27 2020 at 08:23
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 08:26
Off the top of my head I hear the tron in Nimrodel and Never Let Go for sure, Camel mostly stuck to the synths. To contribute to the actual discussion, some great Camel endings!

Separation
Nimrodel
Air Born
Metrognome
Unevensong
Drafted
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 12:36
Hi,

NEKTAR ... and you can hear it in "Sounds Like This" and then "A Tab in the Ocean" (ending of the side 2 of the album), and then "Recycled" with Larry Fast helping deal the punch and powow ... it kinda stops after the end of Side 1 of the album ... and their album version of "M. Moses" on the album was not half as good as the one they originally did, which was punk prog if there ever was such a thing! The live versions in the albums were already the later versions to sound/look like the album version.

Edited by moshkito - November 27 2020 at 12:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 19:21
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Off the top of my head I hear the tron in Nimrodel and Never Let Go for sure, Camel mostly stuck to the synths. To contribute to the actual discussion, some great Camel endings!

Separation
Nimrodel
Air Born
Metrognome
Unevensong
Drafted

Well, like I said there's definitely mellotron during the last few minutes of Lady Fantasy also. Unless someone doesn't know what a mellotron sounds like I really don't see how anyone can not notice it.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 31 2021 at 13:49
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 00:26
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The ending of the song "Close to the Edge," especially in concert. 

First time I saw this song performed was 22 Sept, 1972....I hadn't even heard the album yet and came expecting to hear "America!"  

At the end of that magnificent song, the band and audience are quite drained, and the appearance of the famous sparkle ball signifies a grand closure.  

Did they always use the sparkle ball live for CTTE? I've seen videos of the song live from 1972 with all sorts of stuff, including the balls; like projector screens with bubbles and abstract psyche sh*t everywhere, SO awesome lol.

My pick for this thread is Siberian Khatru.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 01:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The first to come to my mind is Cardiacs’ “The Everso Closely Guarded Line” off of the album On Land and in the Sea. Wondrous to these ears.

This!!!!

Majestic and epic, Willian Drake its a genious
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 01:28
David Bowie : Scary Monsters : It's no game (part 2)
Holger Czukay : Movies. Hollywood Symphony
alfred1983 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfred1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 01:38
Mister Robot "fables for robots" absolutely brilliant album finale.

Edited by alfred1983 - November 28 2020 at 01:40
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 15:23
 i Love the ending to this great song

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 15:45
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Did they always use the sparkle ball live for CTTE? 

Every time I've seen CTTE in concert with Jon Anderson performing, they used the disco ball!  In 1972, I was like "What the hell is THAT??" 

I like how they reprise the beginning of the song with the ending = Wakeman's tinkling Moog synth notes, with waterfall sounds and birds chirping.  Very dramatic!  

This is how Squire looked back then....the guy was an animal, all over the stage!! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 22:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Did they always use the sparkle ball live for CTTE? 

Every time I've seen CTTE in concert with Jon Anderson performing, they used the disco ball!  In 1972, I was like "What the hell is THAT??" 

I like how they reprise the beginning of the song with the ending = Wakeman's tinkling Moog synth notes, with waterfall sounds and birds chirping.  Very dramatic!  

This is how Squire looked back then....the guy was an animal, all over the stage!! 

YES (pun intended)!!!

I had plethora of legendary Squire shots as my avatar for the longest time, I bring them back when I'm feeling it. Chris Squire is my favorite bass player, and progressive rock musician, of all time. No contest, no exaggeration, no hyperbole. He is the master of rhythm (of love)!

Not to mention the dude was a TALL 6'4", absolutely towering over his band mates, lol.

TALK ABOUT PRESENCE, YEAH?! WinkCool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 02:41
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - A Time and a Place (Emerson cranks up the Moog!)
Emerson, Lake and Powell  - Mars, The Bringer Of War ( Emerson again , but this time adding a synth solo that improves Holst original composition)
Genesis - Cinema Show (live version)
Yes -  The Gates Of Delirium (calm after the storm)
Lone Star - The Bells Of Berlin (this just beats everything!!)
The Nice - She Belongs To Me (quite long and boring but the band then hits a wonderful groove to elevate the track from nothing much to write home about to something special)

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 04:43
That last little trumpet flourish in RDM's (Il Rovescio Della Medaglia) Contamination
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
iguana.will View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iguana.will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 12:13
To me it narrows down to these:

Yes - Starship Trooper
Yes- Close to the Edge
Van der Graaf Generator - Man-Erg
BBT - Hedgerow
Proclamation - Gentle Giant
Camel - Air Born
Genesis - The Musical Box
Van der Graaf Generator - Pilgrims
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Live at Knebworth 1990) - Pink Floyd
Brain Damage/ Eclipse - Pink Floyd (If you consider Eclipse an ending)

Tell me what you think about it.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 13:21
KC - The Mincer and Snakefinger’s Smelly Tongues end with the crinkled tail of the tape running out. I love that.
I also love the Aisle of Plenty closing of Cinema Show. Gabriel’s best vamping!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 13:22
Reminisce View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reminisce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 13:44
I'd also like to add Big Big Train both The Underfall Yard and Victorian Brickwork
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>