Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Olias gets a rerelease

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olias gets a rerelease
    Posted: November 26 2020 at 11:58
This is the one I've been waiting for.
According to the latest Prog magazine, Olias of Sunhillow is being rereleased around the end of Jan 2021 with a fully remastered CD and a DVD with a 5.1 upmix. The set will also contain the full artwork and lyrics (which are missing from my version).

Edited by chopper - November 27 2020 at 02:07
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 12:18
Good news. I suppose that Steven Wilson is doing the remixes.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 18:49
Awesome - must buy! Even when I got rid of most of my vinyl in the 90s, I kept my original Olias LP because of the incredible artwork.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 11:05
Nice. Perhaps at last I'll be getting that album.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 06:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's a remaster, not a remix. Maybe Mr Wilson was too busy with his own album?

The article says the original 24-track tapes were lost (what is it with record companies and tapes?) so they had to remaster from stereo masters.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 03:08
Never owned it so this will by my chance.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 04:13
Jon Anderson's Official YouTube Channel:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0txF2R6T6ZPLCLMbGygm9g
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 10:10
I have it on vinyl but don't currrently own it on cd. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 16:52

Hi,

Ohh goodness. I hope not ... he doesn't really have a good ear for strictly instrumental/orchestral material ... he is a rock guy ... not for "Olias of Sunhillow". 

The only folks I would accept for this would be the ones that work on the clean up and mixes for Klaus Schulze (see the DVD with Lisa for an example!!!), or Tangerine Dream ... but I would not think that SW is a good one for this album.

Edited by moshkito - November 29 2020 at 16:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskypesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 20:16
Great album!!   I'm guessing my brother will be getting it, and we will be able to listen on his 5.1 system.
Prog fan since 1974.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 02:21
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Ohh goodness. I hope not ... he doesn't really have a good ear for strictly instrumental/orchestral material ... he is a rock guy ... not for "Olias of Sunhillow". 

The only folks I would accept for this would be the ones that work on the clean up and mixes for Klaus Schulze (see the DVD with Lisa for an example!!!), or Tangerine Dream ... but I would not think that SW is a good one for this album.
You'll be pleased to know then that it's not a remix and Mr Wilson is not involved
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 02:53
Thanks Chopper! That's great news. I've been trying to get hold of this one for quite a while, but it was simply unobtainable. I will definitely be getting it in January.
Songs cast a light on you
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 03:24
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Thanks Chopper! That's great news. I've been trying to get hold of this one for quite a while, but it was simply unobtainable. I will definitely be getting it in January.

Me too, I bought it on CD years ago but some Censored at the record company decided they would only print the outside of the booklet, so you only got part of the story. Mind you the typeface was so small you couldn't read it anyway. Considering it's a concept album this is bordering on criminal imo. Looking forward to seeing some proper artwork, I have the original album in a frame on my toilet wall.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 10:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Me too, I bought it on CD years ago but some Censored at the record company decided they would only print the outside of the booklet, so you only got part of the story. Mind you the typeface was so small you couldn't read it anyway. Considering it's a concept album this is bordering on criminal imo. Looking forward to seeing some proper artwork, I have the original album in a frame on my toilet wall.

Hi,

The stories have changed so much, and so little is known about this album ... 

Ex: It was one of the first things that Vangelis did with Jon, and the "sound" and quality in the album is almost completely Vangelis, and yet it is said that he did not play any of it, and then we learned that he was not going to replace RW in YES ... which would have been a massive coup, however, it was well known that Vangelis does not fly, and he does not travel a whole lot ... and just about lives, eats, drinks and sleeps in his studio composing day and night, and occasionally coloring the sound of the spoons so we can't find them on all of his albums! (no kidding!!! Interview for Heaven and Hell about his music!).

I love this album and it is one of my top albums EVER ... and I hope that Vangelis finally says that he played on it, but there were too many rights issues everywhere for his name to appear on it, or something ever more stupid than that ... hurt creativity some more! It's like Jon couldn't even live his dream! Had to do the pop music and over done stuff instead!

I'll get this, because I love the album, but I'm not sure it will make me feel any better. It's still an album with Vangelis for me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 02:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The stories have changed so much, and so little is known about this album ... 

Ex: It was one of the first things that Vangelis did with Jon, and the "sound" and quality in the album is almost completely Vangelis, and yet it is said that he did not play any of it, and then we learned that he was not going to replace RW in YES ... which would have been a massive coup, however, it was well known that Vangelis does not fly, and he does not travel a whole lot ... and just about lives, eats, drinks and sleeps in his studio composing day and night, and occasionally coloring the sound of the spoons so we can't find them on all of his albums! (no kidding!!! Interview for Heaven and Hell about his music!).

I love this album and it is one of my top albums EVER ... and I hope that Vangelis finally says that he played on it, but there were too many rights issues everywhere for his name to appear on it, or something ever more stupid than that ... hurt creativity some more! It's like Jon couldn't even live his dream! Had to do the pop music and over done stuff instead!

I'll get this, because I love the album, but I'm not sure it will make me feel any better. It's still an album with Vangelis for me!
I wasn't aware Vangelis had anything to do with Olias.
EDIT - according to Wikipedia, Vangelis has denied being involved - "After the album was finished, management of RCA Records informed Vangelis, a composer and keyboardist signed to the label at the time, of their dissatisfaction that he had played on Olias of Sunhillow without informing them. Vangelis denied any involvement on the album despite RCA having thought the keyboards on the album were performed in his style. Vangelis said: "I myself was very surprised it had my name on the thank you-list. Maybe I have influenced Jon, I don't know"

Edited by chopper - December 01 2020 at 03:17
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 02:29

It's a remaster, not a remix.
That's a relief! It's always good to have an album remastered, but I'm not generally a fan of remixed albums. Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 13:06
Thanks, I love that album! 

I always wished that Jon had performed the entire album live, this is as close as I experienced - I filmed this at a small, nice theater during his "Voice of Yes" tour.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 21:36

EDIT - according to Wikipedia, Vangelis has denied being involved - "After the album was finished, management of RCA Records informed Vangelis, a composer and keyboardist signed to the label at the time, of their dissatisfaction that he had played on Olias of Sunhillow without informing them. Vangelis denied any involvement on the album despite RCA having thought the keyboards on the album were performed in his style. Vangelis said: "I myself was very surprised it had my name on the thank you-list. Maybe I have influenced Jon, I don't know"

Hi,

I kinda think of this as a "little white lie" sort of thing ... no one around, does any music of the style and quality of Vangelis ...

Either way ... it doesn't matter. It's a great album. Jon will likely spill the beans one day and we will know the truth. RCA records is like a bunch of idiots ... to refuse this collaboration ... totally insane! SPECIALLY considering how much work Jon and Vangelis went on to do after it.
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 10:35
Not of any great circumstance to me as I always viewed Olias' as mundane in all its workings. I think it still holds the record though for the best selling Yes solo outing.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 06:01
Jon Anderson: Olias Of Sunhillow, 2 Disc Remastered & Expanded Edition - Cherry Red Records

Released March 26th

Edited by chopper - January 23 2021 at 06:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>