Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rick Wakeman's 10 Favorite 70s Rock Songs (and Roc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman's 10 Favorite 70s Rock Songs (and Roc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman's 10 Favorite 70s Rock Songs (and Roc
    Posted: November 26 2020 at 17:03
“I never left the seventies,” the keyboard legend admits, “It was such an explosive era for music.”

Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall
When I was living in Switzerland there was a wonderful pub in Montreux called The White Horse and every musician that worked at Queen's Mountain Studios spent their lives there.

It was a phenomenal place. Absolutely buzzing in every respect. It had a jukebox and that was where I first heard Another Brick In The Wall. I went straight over, put it on multiplay and waited for people to complain. Nobody did. Everybody loved it... It's very unFloyd.

The Faces - Stay With Me
Another Swiss memory. Where I lived was halfway up a mountain in a place called Les Monts-de-Corsier and my car journey down the winding road to the studio took exactly the same length it took to play Stay With Me.

I absolutely love the Wurlitzer electric piano on it. Ian McLagan was a great player and a very under-rated player. One of the hardest things for keyboard players is playing the right thing, and he had the knack of playing the right thing.

Argent - Hold Your Head Up
Rod (Argent) is a good friend, and I'm not just picking people because they're my mates, I'm picking this because it's brilliant. The organ solo in Hold Your Head Up is, for me, one of the finest organ solos on a record.

It's brilliantly put together, and from an era where you couldn't go back and correct notes and redo things. It's a true solo. A little work of art, so it has to go in. It's just brilliant, so good.

Free - All Right Now
Another track that has to go in because of a solo. Paul Kossoff's guitar solo's really good, but what I really love is, as the solo finishes and you come back into the chorus again, there's probably the simplest drum break you ever heard.

Most drummers would do something absolutely ridiculous at the end of a solo like that, but not Simon Kirke. He just did a really simple da-dum da-dum da-dum-dum-dum. Simple, but brilliant.

Stealer's Wheel - Stuck In The Middle With You
They were on the same label as me. A&M Records; the last of the truly great independent labels, because (label co-founder) Jerry Moss encouraged a real diversity of music. A&M was the equivalent of jazz label Blue Note or classical label Deutsche Grammophon.

If you bought something on A&M you were pretty sure it was going to be good. The production levels had to be very, very high and Stuck In The Middle With You, a simple song, is totally unique.

The Moody Blues - Question
The Moody Blues were such a great band both live and as songwriters. They were also one of the first real users of the Mellotron, the famous I-can't-keep-it-in-tune instrument that all keyboard players have, but they used it really well, and although they employed it most famously on Nights In White Satin, they used it here in a way that nobody had ever used it before. A good melody, a great song and a unique use of the dreaded Mellotron.

Deep Purple - Black Night
A phenomenal solo from Jon Lord. Not a synth lover, but he loved his organ and electric piano. He got a load of different guitar effects and built this long string that went from his amp to both the Leslies and his cabinets so he could create a really unique organ sound that would cut through while doing a solo.

Being great friends we discussed it at length and Jon said “I just wanted to see what I could do with the instrument rather than just do what it did”. He did that right up to his dying day. An absolute genius.

Status Quo - Rocking All Over The World
Rick Parfitt and I used to get into serious trouble together, I was living in Surrey at the time and we'd go out to a very dodgy snooker hall in Putney, then on to very dodgy clubs until the early hours of the morning, then come back and tell everyone we'd been working hard on music.

He was a good lad, I loved Rick to bits. Quo produced fantastic stuff with the limited chord progressions they used, some amazing things that nobody else did, and there's a real art-form in that.

Alice Cooper - School's Out
Alice has always managed to come up with songs with a broad appeal. School's Out was a classic example; a song that mums and dads liked and were quite happy for their kids to listen to despite the fact he went on stage with snakes up his rectum and God knows what else.

I mean, even though he'd be a good person to have around at Halloween, he speaks well and writes good tunes that are very relatable. I've got a lot of time for him, he's great.

The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
The one thing every kid playing music in their room wants to hear is their parent shouting “Turn that bloody racket off!” up the stairs. It's the seal of approval. Music is the first thing any kid owns: parents choose their clothes, school, what they do, eat, where they go, but their music? That's theirs.

There must have been millions of parents who shouted “Turn that bloody thing off” as the Stones played on Dansette Majors and kids fist-pumped the air in their bedrooms thinking 'Yes! Thank you!'. Brown Sugar encapsulates that feeling.

70s Rock Down: The Ultimate Rock Anthems is out this week.

70s Rock Down: The Ultimate Rock Anthems tracklist
CD1
Queen Killer - Queen
Kiss - I Was Made For Lovin’ You
Elton John - Pinball Wizard
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Old Time Rock And Roll
Paul McCartney & Wings - Live and Let Die
Free - All Right Now
Argent - God Gave Rock & Roll To You
Blue Oyster Cult - (Don’t Fear) The Reaper
Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
Golden Earring - Radar Love
Tom Robinson Band - 2-4-6-8 Motorway
City Boy - 5.7.0.5
Yes - Wonderous Stories
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Fanfare For The Common Man
Bachman Turner Overdrive - You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet
Ram Jam - Black Betty
Jo Jo Gunne - Run Run Run
Gary Moore & Phil Lynott - Parisienne Walkways
Jethro Tull - Life Is A Long Song
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird (full version)

CD2
Status Quo - Down Down
The Who - Who Are You
Focus - Hocus Pocus
Deep Purple - Black Night
Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back in Town
Rainbow - Since You Been Gone
Hawkwind - Silver Machine
Bad Company - Can’t Get Enough
ZZ - Top La Grange
Taste - What’s Going On
Heart - Barracuda
Rory Gallagher - Bad Penny
Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize
The Knack - My Sharona
McGuiness Flint - When I’m Dead and Gone
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
America - Ventura Highway
Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle With You
Climax Blues Band - Couldn’t Get It Right
Canned Heat - Let’s Work Together

CD3
Fleetwood Mac - Don’t Stop
Alice Cooper - Schools Out
Eric Clapton - Lay Down Sally
Mott the Hoople - All The Young Dudes
The Faces - Stay With Me
Joe Walsh - Life’s Been Good
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band - Blinded By The Light
Foreigner - Cold As Ice
Santana - Black Magic Woman
Python Lee Jackson - In A Broken Dream
Uriah Heap - Easy Livin’
Dr Feelgood - Roxette
The Allman Brothers Band - Jessica
The Moody Blues - Question
Mink DeVille - Spanish Stroll
Roger Daltrey - Giving It All Away
Nazareth - Love Hurt
10cc - Rubber Bullets
Rick Wakeman - Catherine of Aragon
John Miles - Music

https://www.loudersound.com/features/rick-wakemans-10-favourite-70s-rock-songs
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 17:21
This shows why Wakeman is such a class act. He's always been a real rocker at heart, as his list shows.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 18:04
I suppose he could have picked "morning has broken", "space oddity" "roundabout" and "life on Mars." Glad to see he didn't take the easy way out. ;)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 20:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I suppose he could have picked "morning has broken", "space oddity" "roundabout" and "life on Mars." Glad to see he didn't take the easy way out. ;)

Funny, I had the exact same thought!  Interesting that his selections didn't necessarily hew to the "keyboard hero" model, although the Argent tune does - a fine selection.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 22:21
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Funny, I had the exact same thought!  Interesting that his selections didn't necessarily hew to the "keyboard hero" model, although the Argent tune does - a fine selection.  

He has gone on record saying that he thinks that has the best keyboard solo on it so not surprised he would choose that one.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 00:32

Why would he pick something he played on?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 02:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

You do know he played on all those songs?
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 04:42
"Pinball Wizard" isn't even by Elton, and his re-make isn't as good as The Who. But Elton had a TON of fine songs. I hope he looked at the discography before choosing and not on some park bench
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 05:03
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

"Pinball Wizard" isn't even by Elton, and his re-make isn't as good as The Who. But Elton had a TON of fine songs. I hope he looked at the discography before choosing and not on some park bench

It is a pretty good version of Pinball Wizard to be fair.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 07:07
Wakeman picked the list of 10, not what is on the CD compilation.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 07:10
I like a lot of songs of his list, but as expected, I wold make a lot of changes to it. As the saying goes, "To each his own."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 07:15
But the list is to see the mind and likes of Wakeman only. Not all prog or stuffy classical.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 07:37
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Hi,

Such pucky!!!

The best "Pinball Wizard" is by Roger Ruskin Spear ... and he was so good that Ken Russell couldn't even fit him in the movie instead of an overblown .... whatevah!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 07:38
Rick Wakeman and his musical prowess has always appealed to me. I remember watching a long concert of his where he played the most HUMONGOUS keyboard set ever to be arranged on a stage :):)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 07:45
I'm surprised that Rick didn't pick a Sabbath song, having guested on one song once on record.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 08:37
Yes, Rick and Tony Iommi where friends.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

You do know he played on all those songs?

I do, but young listeners may not, and that would be the most obvious choice.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm surprised that Rick didn't pick a Sabbath song, having guested on one song once on record.

"Sabbra Cadabra" on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 11:45
I appreciate the earthiness of these selections - no snobbery, no self-aggrandizement, just a list of rock-solid rockers. He knows a good song when he hears one. I would be interested to see his favorite Prog songs that he has not performed on. Rod Argent is clearly one of his favorite keyboardists. I wonder who else he likes.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 12:09
Can't say I'm overly impressed with his choices..there are several on his list that are mediocre tracks imho and many great rock tracks not listed....no...not gonna say which ones.
Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>