Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Danger money (u.k)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Danger money (u.k)
    Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:42
About 2 weeks ago ,i finally recieved my copy of the famous danger money cd ,i all can say is wow it was always on my list to buy when it came out in the 70,s it was too pricey but when i went to the record store i always inspected it the songs all are good ,the drumming by terry bozzio is awesome ,although the debut record is considered heads and tails above this incarnation of the band personally it was a favorite ,you see my mum brought the album NIGHT AFTER NIGHT for my christmas the previous year she brought me A FAREWELL TO THE KINGS. anyhow it was worth the wait .Thanks for taking the time read prog fans.

Edited by grantman - November 27 2020 at 15:32
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:59
Hi there. You mean Danger Money by the band U.K., right ? Yes, I believe it was originally released in 1979 actually. Wetton also played with Wishbone Ash and Bozzio really plays some serious drums on DM.
I'm glad someone really digs real decent prog here :):)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 13:09
DM was a gateway record for me too, it allowed me to appreciate progressive rock that was not necessarily guitar-based and heavy.   'Carrying No Cross' still a spellbinder.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 00:14
Great record! Nothing like the debut, but almost nothing is. Must have IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 03:51
Very good album, and more accessible than the debut. Which could be both a good and bad thing.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 06:31
Top 10 for me. The standout album of the barren year 1979.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 11:25
Well, the release of Danger Money afforded me the chance to attend a largely ignored in-store appearance by the band in 1979 at a now-defunct Licorice Pizza record store in Pacific Beach, California. Jobson and Bozzio were highly cordial, and Wetton was such a gracious gentleman with all who approached him. As for the music itself, I visit it often, even though it's not a force to be reckoned with like the debut album. A little lightweight in places.

Edited by Rednight - November 28 2020 at 11:29
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 22:44
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Well, the release of Danger Money afforded me the chance to attend a largely ignored in-store appearance by the band in 1979 at a now-defunct Licorice Pizza record store in Pacific Beach, California. Jobson and Bozzio were highly cordial, and Wetton was such a gracious gentleman with all who approached him. As for the music itself, I visit it often, even though it's not a force to be reckoned with like the debut album. A little lightweight in places.

Dude, this is an AMAZING story! I'd have gone to that same signing regardless of how few people were there! What a contrast to Asia's drawing power, huh? LOL Tongue

I'm ordering a copy of Danger Money for my shelf right now; never had a physical copy. This thread convinced me!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 13:48
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

About 2 weeks ago ,i finally recieved my copy of the famous danger money cd ,i all can say is wow it was always on my list to buy when it came out in the 70,s it was too pricey but when i went to the record store i always inspected it the songs all are good ,the drumming by terry bozzio is awesome ,although the debut record is considered heads and tails above this incarnation of the band personally it was a favorite ,you see my mum brought the album NIGHT AFTER NIGHT for my christmas the previous year she brought me A FAREWELL TO THE KINGS. anyhow it was worth the wait .Thanks for taking the time read prog fans.

Glad you finally checked it out. Better late than never! Thumbs Up
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 13:50
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Pacific Beach? Holy cow. Unless I'm mistaken, the San Diego coast has always been a wasteland for (good) rock music. Awesome that you got to meet them. I'd have been there in a flash, 'cept I don't live there and I wasn't even nine years old at the time.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:36
I love both UK albums equally. If only they would have stayed together for another album or two maybe the 80's would have been a little more tolerable!!!
The Prog Corner
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:18
I bought the Danger Money LP as soon as it came out and have always loved it. Awesome drumming by Terry Bozzio and Eddie Jobson is obviously giving full vent to his keyboard wizard urges with no guitarist around to rein him in. I read an interview in Melody Maker at the time and Jobson was talking about his fascination with what he termed "Doom Rock" groups like ELP and King Crimson.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:29
^Cool avatar.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:40
^Thanks, yes I think there is something intrinsically cool about Tarkus steamrollering a copy of a Clash album! I can't take credit for the image, just found it on a website somewhere and decided to use it.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:20
This is a new one to me. I have had (and loved) the debut for ages. I had put off getting DM for an age due to the lack of Holdsworth and Bruford. But I have to say although it is a completely different to the debut, it is such a fine album in it's own right. 
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 18:07
Absolute drivel. A waste of my time every time I try it. Reminds me of my experiences with Asia, GTR, Steve Howe, Tony Banks, and Richard Wright solo albums, and 1980s Tangerine Dream, Jan Akkerman, and Rick Wakeman.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 02:05
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Absolute drivel. A waste of my time every time I try it. Reminds me of my experiences with Asia, GTR, Steve Howe, Tony Banks, and Richard Wright solo albums, and 1980s Tangerine Dream, Jan Akkerman, and Rick Wakeman.

absolutelyClapStarClapStar

read my reviews of all three historical UK releases (they've created havoc in PE from over-feigning obsequious  fanboys) 

TBH, Danger money sounds a bit like the prequel to Asia. 

Edited by Sean Trane - January 19 2021 at 02:05
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:49
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Hey, that's just your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Sorry you feel the need to speak so harshly of an excellent symph trio record because it doesn't sonically resemble its predecessor.

But then you go and knock '80s Tangerine Dream!? The line-up of Froese, Franke and Schmoelling is the gold standard for electronic progressive music. Fight me! Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:50
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

TBH, Danger money sounds a bit like the prequel to Asia.

So silly. The only thing the two have in common are electricity and John Wetton. I don't remember a violinist being a member of Asia, either.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:02
I generally was not a fan of 80s Tangerine Dream before, but came to appreciate it over time. At one time I was only really a fan of the pre-Phaedra albums.

As for Danger Money, it is an album that I have actively disliked. I rather preferred the debut but still was not too enamoured with it. Trying Danger Money again, but it's still not my style. I think that it shares an AOR pop-rock, and hook based, approach with Asia. I think there are lots of similarities to be drawn between Asia and UK, and would well expect to find both projects in the same section of a record store and to have a good deal of overlap in the fanbase.

Edited by Logan - January 19 2021 at 10:04
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>