Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meddle vs The Yes Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [40.85%]
34 [47.89%]
8 [11.27%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 11:52
Is it possible PF are winning because they are a more well known band over all? I would think on this site they would be more or less equal in terms of popularity. After all, the album on here with the most ratings is CTTE.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 12:29
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Is it possible PF are winning because they are a more well known band over all? I would think on this site they would be more or less equal in terms of popularity. After all, the album on here with the most ratings is CTTE.
The simple answer is that Meddle is the last Floyd album before the band blew up and became a household name. The album still retains a lot of underground mystique and that means a lot to Floyd fans, imo.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 12:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The simple answer is that Meddle is the last Floyd album before the band blew up and became a household name. The album still retains a lot of underground mystique and that means a lot to Floyd fans, imo.

Well, technically I would say Obscured by clouds would be that album but some might not count it since it was a soundtrack album. OBC was their highest charting album when it came out(even higher than Meddle or AHM)but still nothing compared to what came later.

Would you say Yes ever became a household name? I say no.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 28 2020 at 12:48
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 13:33
Both are great, but still Meddle by a wide margin.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 13:50

Well, technically I would say Obscured by clouds would be that album but some might not count it since it was a soundtrack album. OBC was their highest charting album when it came out(even higher than Meddle or AHM)but still nothing compared to what came later.

Did I mention that Meddle was also great. Try saying that about Obscued By Clouds.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 15:19
I've grown to like Yes album a lot, in fact I think it ranks close to Close the the Edge as my fave by them.  So that's my choice
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 16:29
as many here are , I'm a big fan of both bands.  But Echoes and One of these days are top shelf tunes.  honestly not a big fan of either Fearless or Pillow of Winds.  You might think I'm losing it by liking Seamus, well I liked it so much I names my dog Seamus back in the day Smile 

TYA is a very strong album but Echoes wins the day for the Floyd
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 16:33
Yes gets the nod. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 18:32

Did I mention that Meddle was also great. Try saying that about Obscued By Clouds.

You can't. Obscured is good but I agree it's not really "great."
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 21:04
I think Echoes is blinding many voters to the fact that The Yes Album is far superior.

Wink
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 22:49
A review by Finnforest 13 years ago....
"I find Meddle to be a bit over-rated here and I believe the average star rating would be a full star less were this album the work of a lesser known psych band of the era rather than everyone's favorite, Pink Floyd..........
Meddle is a decent spin but below Floyd standards, though some see it as a step on the way to albums like Dark Side through Animals. It has its moments, but lacks the excitement and daring of the albums preceding it, and the gravitas of the albums that would follow it.

Stern Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 22:58
The Yes Album on this one. Though it's not their best, they started picking up the steam that would peak with Fragile, CTTE, and TFTO and Relayer!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 03:02
both equally and both 4 star albums for me. Can't say I play either that much.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 05:32
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I think Echoes is blinding many voters to the fact that The Yes Album is far superior.

Wink

This is something I would like to say too...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 05:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A review by Finnforest 13 years ago....
"<span style="font-family: " sans", Arial, sans-serif;">I find Meddle to be a bit over-rated here and I believe the average star rating would be a full star less were this album the work of a lesser known psych band of the era rather than everyone's favorite, Pink Floyd..........</span>
<span style="font-family: " sans", Arial, sans-serif;">Meddle is a decent spin but below Floyd standards, though some see it as a step on the way to albums like Dark Side through Animals. It has its moments, but lacks the excitement and daring of the albums preceding it, and the gravitas of the albums that would follow it.</span>
<span style="font-family: " sans", Arial, sans-serif;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: " sans", Arial, sans-serif;">Stern Smile
</span>

Better to stick with the majority reviews that say Meddle is great instead of a review by an outlier.

Edited by SteveG - November 29 2020 at 10:51
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 18:56
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

Both equally. I cannot choose one of them.

This.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 20:52
As much as I love Yes, I could actually do without The Yes Album. The only song I really like from it is Starship Trooper, and then, the live version on Keys to Ascension is so much better that I don't really enjoy listening to the original version. So Echoes... I mean, Meddle, it is.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 15:14
Both.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 15:29
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Wink

This is something I would like to say too...
Yes, I don't want to Meddle but I Echo that view too. Smile
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 02:20
Meddle, far more inventive and interesting. The Yes Album is a collection of good songs, but no more than that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>