Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amon Düül II Dark Horse Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these albums is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [30.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
1 [10.00%]
2 [20.00%]
1 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amon Düül II Dark Horse Poll
    Posted: November 28 2020 at 03:35
The appearance of Chris Karrer in the violinist poll inspired me to do this poll. Obviously one of the first five albums up to Wolf City would top most peoples' lists, but I think that the later output of the band is quite interesting, varied and original. I have to admit that there is some stuff all over the place that doesn't say that much to me, and I'd not give any of these five stars, but on the other hand every single album of these has its highlights and its own appeal. This is a band that has never stood still and none of these albums sounds as the album before. Surely it's worthwhile to check them out, and I speak from experience when I say, it's also worthwhile to give the least popular ones (probably Pyragony X, Almost Alive, Only Human) some time, very nice art rock/pop there.

Voting is very hard because as I wrote, they all have their highs and lows, but I'll settle for Nada Moonshine #, which when it came out totally struck me by its freshness and variety, despite some incomprehensible mixing/arrangement decisions.  

Vote also if you don't know all of these but there's at least one you like!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 04:55
I had no idea Amon Düül II had recorded so many albums. I'd love to get around to listening to them all one day, maybe at the same time as running a series of Krautrock album polls too, eventually. Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 06:59
my vote goes to "Düülirium". but I totally agree they made a lot of very interesting albums with highs and lows. tracks like "Kismet", "Flower of the Orient", "Das Gestern ist das Heute von Morgen", "On the Highway", "Mozambique" or "I Can't Wait" are as good as they come

Edited by BaldJean - November 28 2020 at 07:14

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 07:27
I love Only Human.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 10:13
I went with Pyragony X and would follow this with Almost Alive and Vortex.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 10:21
I've only heard Made in Germany.  Yeti is the only other album that I have heard from them and it is among the least favorite in my collection.  I've not really had any interest in checking out anything else from them.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 10:48
Kismet is indeed a monster of a track, one of the best ever! Gestern ist das Heute von morgen is another winner.

Edited by Lewian - November 28 2020 at 10:49
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 11:19
Vive la Trance is my favorite of these, so much so that I don’t even think of it as a dark horse. Always loved Made in Germany too, but lately I’ve been listening to Hijack a lot, so I’ll give that a vote today.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 00:17
Vive Le Trance.  Their last excellent album, and very underrated.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 00:38
I've only heard the first and the last, neither of which left a great impression on me. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 05:28
Amon Düül II has never been a band I listened to often. I had their first albums (up to Wolf City) on tape and listened to some of their later albums but was never entirely convinced. Of this batch, I can only remember Vive la trance and Made in Germany, of which I prefer the first one. Will listen to the tracks put up here...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverstoned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 06:34
The vocals are the weak point, like for most german bands.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 15:51
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Have you listened to "Gestern ist das Heute von Morgen", posted above?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 16:02
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Hi,

I disagree.

The biggest and one of the most important factors in this band, was that they would not do anything in the "regular" way at all, and a lot of their vocals were really varied and unbelievable while also having all kinds of emotions with it.

This is not like some band that just does vocals so you know what the song is all about ... in many ways, AD2 couldn't careless if you understood what it was all about ... in the sense that it was all about their freedom and not anything else.

There are no bands, anywhere, that have the incredible variety and strength of their vocal work within their music. You can listen to "Mazombique" and hear the venom, you can listen to some other stuff in Hijack, and you can hear it in Wolf City ... and then you get something else. 

Of all the albums I like "Nada Moonshine #", but John W has called that album "b*****d" for some reason which was not explained and their website won't even list the album ... which is sad ... my review of it only says one thing about it that I miss from the earlier days ... where were the "trips" and the "improvisations" when everything in this album was about the song ... but it is very good one! AND, it has that one song with the kids' choir ... and that is a WOW ... a big WOW! But I'm not sure that many folks in PA can handle the big FU in the song!

But it will be hard to take away what is likely the most valuable song for me, of all ... "Apocalyptic Bore", which doesn't even have vocals by Renate at all ... and Karrer's words are fantastic ... and totally far out!

Edited by moshkito - November 29 2020 at 16:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 16:29
Vive La Trance. My original Lp sounds fantastic !
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 16:31
Nice to have your voice here Pedro, I hoped you'd chip in. I'm actually curious what you think of Düülirium, which is far more trippy and free form. I'm somewhat ambivalent about it; some of it is really one of a kind, some sounds a bit lazy to me and could have profited from more elaboration (I think mostly they only did one take). I also wonder whether you have heard the weird and out there Kobe and Eternal Flashback, which are some kind of remix albums, don't count as regular releases, but are very trippy and Düülish (I know hardly anything about the story behind them and who was the driving force in putting them together, I can just listen and find them quite enjoyable).

Ah, and Pierre! Still hoping that at some point we get four more little gems of you, loved your series!

Edited by Lewian - November 29 2020 at 16:33
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 16:48
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Nice to have your voice here Pedro, I hoped you'd chip in. I'm actually curious what you think of Düülirium, which is far more trippy and free form. I'm somewhat ambivalent about it; some of it is really one of a kind, some sounds a bit lazy to me and could have profited from more elaboration (I think mostly they only did one take). I also wonder whether you have heard the weird and out there Kobe and Eternal Flashback, which are some kind of remix albums, don't count as regular releases, but are very trippy and Düülish (I know hardly anything about the story behind them and who was the driving force in putting them together, I can just listen and find them quite enjoyable).

Ah, and Pierre! Still hoping that at some point we get four more little gems of you, loved your series!

Hi,

Thx ... I'll "re-listen" to these albums, as they have not seemed to me as good as others. 

For example, the concert series in Portugal and Italy around 2000 (On the tube -- not sure about dates ... have to re-check), when they had 2 drummers, deserved to be released on an album and cleaned up for a DVD, but I have a feeling that it is privately owned, and the band can't touch it! But that show, in the tube, shows that Kris had issues with the sound and the violin was not on one time, and then another time his acoustic guitar was not on, either. The kind of stuff that can ruin a concert for a player but he still shined when he had the chance.

In one of those albums, that I'll re-check, I remember thinking that Renate going nuts and screaming, could have used a little taming and cleaning ... as it was obvious that it was an improvisation, but one that was not defined and Renate, in her own way, just said ... screw it ... and did whatever she wanted ... and I have to admit, that this time, I was not impressed and wish that it had been "cleaned up" some, and it should have made the whole thing better for the band. But that's my thinking, not exactly what it is all about ... since it was well known that at any given moment this band would go haywire on anything ... and Renate, was, the most likely candidate to do that ... but it may have left John and Kris kinda staring at each other! Who knows ... who knows?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 16:58
You're maybe talking about Düülirium there, Renate does some truly crazy stuff there although I've got to say I'm fine with most of that (I actually wrote a review today of that album that has already disappeared from the title page).

Edited by Lewian - November 29 2020 at 16:58
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 03:56
Hi Lewian, I like Düülirium a lot. I'll say that the music is trippy and bluesy. But I've always considered Krautrock (or Velvet underground) to be some kind of white folks blues.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 10:31
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

You're maybe talking about Düülirium there, Renate does some truly crazy stuff there although I've got to say I'm fine with most of that (I actually wrote a review today of that album that has already disappeared from the title page).

Hi, 

Just heard the whole album. I don't dislike it, however there is a little shine that is missing, and one thing is very clear, that it is a bunch of improvisations, and though they are not bad, I think that there is a little cleaning up that needed to get done to make it better ... like hearing it once and then doing it again, but all in all, it would not be an "improvisation" then, and might not have had the tone and touch that it ended up with.

Of all the things in that album, there is one thing that did not sit well with me, and I'm not sure why ... in many, and not just one or two, the drumming in their albums has always been tight, clean and well designed, and when you look back at Dance of the Lemmings, Yeti, and quite far into the later albums, still the drumming was tight, and well designed ... and all of a sudden, in this album, it's just a typical drum sound and it appears to be looking for a beat or a rhythm, and this time, all they could do is keep time to be able to keep up with Renate ... and this is weird, because the band never had to do that ... as far as I can tell ... however, I think that there were mix issues here, because quality of it, seems to have been over dubbed or changed, to make it look like just a simple rock song improvisation, which is not what AD2 has really been about all of their life! 

It's not a bad album, and even though one could say that Renate is the star here, I really think that in many ways, the band was not exactly with her for some of the time, and there seemed to have been a separation of the whole thing ... her words are not being colored by the drums, for example, and instead just keeps time on the basic music ... something that AD2 was NEVER known to do ... 

I like the album, but in my ears and mind, there is something missing here ... and there are times when improvisations work, and then there are times when they don't ... and it's hard to define one from the other, be it in rehearsal or in concert, but in this case I think Renate might have said something to the effect that it didn't matter, and in the end, she was better and improvising than anyone else in the 4 pieces of music!

For AD2, Renate was not always the sole focus of the band ... in most albums, the music was ... and seeing that Kris and John were relegated to the background, was a bit weird ... and likewise, not hearing Lothar Meid clearly, seems strange ... listen to him in Dance of the Lemmings, Wolf City and Vive La Trance ... his bass playing and design for the music is incredible ... and here, he is relegated to the background and not in tune with Renate at all ... as far as I can tell ... just way too strange for me ... 

Lastly, I think that this album needs more clearing up and cleaning in order that things work better ... I simply think that the mix is weird, and the rest of the band is not ready for Renate's style in front of the microphone ... but then, this may have been her assuring herself, that after being in the background for way too long, all of a sudden, she is the only one that has the massive energy to lead the way. Compare this to the song making fun of feminism in HIJACK ... where my thoughts are that many folks in the band laughed at her ideas and comments, and in the end, she's the one driving it all!

A good album, specially for the "improvisations", however, my feelings are that these are not clear enough, and end up separating Renate from the band a bit too much for my tastes. But at their age (done in 2014) she's likely the only one that can stand up and show what she's made of. Strong ... and sadly ... the rest did not exactly stand up with her ... why?

www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>