Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Prog band made the best pop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which Prog band made the best pop?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [48.98%]
12 [24.49%]
5 [10.20%]
8 [16.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 02:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

There are users here that don't even listen to Genesis beyond 1977...

That would be me then. Tongue

I didn't know that. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 03:11

I didn't know that. 
I'm surprised, I'm expecting you to declare "Calling All Stations" your favourite Genesis album. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 03:16
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I didn't know that. 
I'm surprised, I'm expecting you to declare "Calling All Stations" your favourite Genesis album. Wink

LOL
I actually like CAS a little bit. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 05:56

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Who is the term circlejerk offensive too? People can’t help but to express their raging and irrational hatred for Phil Collins and 80s Genesis any time it’s brought up. Imagine after 30 years and change still going out of your way to talk about music you apparently hate in a generally lighthearted thread, kinda sad tbh. It’s catchy, pleasant, punchy, and I think it’s all good stuff, no need to try to tear it down for other people.

Well then, you've used your words poorly. I looked up "circlejerk" (English is not my native language) and first definition I found had some sexual connotation which confused me even more about what you trying to say. 

I am not one of those listeners that get all annoyed or hateful about pop Genesis. That's an exaggeration. If I say their albums from the 80s and 90s are uneven, I am not annoyed or hateful. 

I am not tearing it down for anyone. There are users here that don't even listen to Genesis beyond 1977 and it's fine. Everyone's got a right to speak their mind. I've been listening to Genesis since late 80s and it was some poppy stuff from the trio years that I started with. There are certain songs from the pop years I'll always be fond of. 

That comment wasn’t directed towards you, outside of the first sentence. Circlejerk is more used in the sense like "Prog rock fans circlejerk albums like Court of the Crimson King and Close to The Edge" (just choosing those for example purposes) or in online circles such as reddit there's communities called r/kingcrimsoncirclejerk or r/genesiscirclejerk where folks just post memes about the bands and such. I think in all prog circles there's a phil collins hatred circlejerk that's been beat to death, especially when the weight of the responsibility of the stylistic shift is pretty evenly distributed throughout the band.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 01 2020 at 06:10
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 06:45
Getting back on track a bit, I'd just like to mention Renaissance and "Northern Lights" as a good example of prog pop, just in case nobody else has mentioned it.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 07:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Getting back on track a bit, I'd just like to mention Renaissance and "Northern Lights" as a good example of prog pop, just in case nobody else has mentioned it.

Thanks! TBH I've never heard Renaissance.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 09:18
I don't like Genesis, usually. But I happen to like Smallcreeps Day, Phillips solo albums, and even The Lamb.  Peter Gabriel's Ovo is also good. Good stuff, but I've never understood all this love for them. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 13:03
I voted for Genesis from this list, but also mention David Bowie as an honorable mention.  Songs like "Heroes" are classics, not sure that much of the Genesis pop-pile would qualify as a classic.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 13:56
Supertramp...a band I always think of as prog lite....all their later ones have plenty of poppy prog and Breakfast In America  is a cornucopia of pop prog....I mean just look at the cover of that lp.
Wink
And one can argue 10 CC also....plenty of clever prog pop and they are here as prog related.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 01 2020 at 13:58
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 13:59
I'm off topic here. Is it still fashionable to hate Phil Collins?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Hate's a strong word...but dislike sure....for turning Genesis into his backing band for his pop stardom.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:04
This is like asking which Michelin star chef is best at microwaving a hot pocket. 

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Hate's a strong word...but dislike sure....for turning Genesis into his backing band for his pop stardom.
Wink

Banks and Rutherford cannot be anyone's back up band. If you need to know why they became a trio in the end, it's mainly because of these two guys. And their big egos. 

And Rutherford was the one suggesting simpler songs. He started it all with his sappy ballad from Wind & Wuthering. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:08
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

I've heard others say that too. Interesting. It's more or less true though or at least they started to sound that way.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:09
So, it is fashionable to hate Banks and Rutherford? ;)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:10

So, it is fashionable to hate Banks and Rutherford? ;)

fashionable? It's never fashionable to hate. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:13
Ok then. How about strongly dislike?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:27

Ok then. How about strongly dislike?

only with a sensible explanation. 
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 22:17
I would blame the whole pop thing to all Genesis members. From Genesis to Revelation is a clear example of it. It was pop from the beginning to the end. And it cannot be blamed solely on the producer. The material the writers presented naturally made Jonathan King immediately think of arrangements fitting for a pop album.

And the solo material from all members also moved eventually towards a mainstream direction: Hackett, Banks, Gabriel, and of course Mike and his mechanics, and Phil and his sussudio . About Ant Phillips I haven't heard too much of his solo stuff so I can't say anything about him.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 22:42
^ that's another thing, everybody conveniently forgets that Steve Hackett made a lot of genuinely mediocre pop at the same time Genesis was in their pop era.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>