Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Prog band made the best pop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Which Prog band made the best pop?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [48.98%]
12 [24.49%]
5 [10.20%]
8 [16.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 22:55
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm off topic here. Is it still fashionable to hate Phil Collins?

I only hate Justin Bieber! LOL
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 23:05
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ that's another thing, everybody conveniently forgets that Steve Hackett made a lot of genuinely mediocre pop at the same time Genesis was in their pop era.

"Genuinely mediocre pop" is an excellent way to describe it. At least the other guys made some memorable and decade-defining pop!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 23:14
Tony Banks rules everyone else is wrong!!! LOL

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 01:06
Jon Anderson has a knack for writing great Pop songs and he can make them sound jolly even when he's singing about the dangers of nuclear war, as in the song: Surrender. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 01:46
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ that's another thing, everybody conveniently forgets that Steve Hackett made a lot of genuinely mediocre pop at the same time Genesis was in their pop era.

those were the 80s, it was "conform or be cast out" for a lot o artists. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 04:36
At least Genesis made some good pop. Phil made crap. That's the difference between the two, and why it became fashionable to dump on Phil.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 05:24
I have a question.

Is post-Gabriel Genesis crossover prog (which for me reads as poppy prog), or pure pop? I've always considered the 2nd option, so, to me, it doesn't make sense to compare Collins-era Genesis to 10cc, Alan Parsons or even Gabriel himself.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 06:23
Who the hell is making comparisons between Hackett and Collins in regard to pop music?
I actually don't mind Phil, but let's be real, on Hackett's worst day, he still mops the floor with Phil...pop music or not.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 06:40
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Who the hell is making comparisons between Hackett and Collins in regard to pop music?
I actually don't mind Phil, but let's be real, on Hackett's worst day, he still mops the floor with Phil...pop music or not.

LOL
it's funny because it's true
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 10:12
Highly Strung is not better than pop genesis or Phil’s first 3 solo albums. At least Phil has any semblance of personality hahaha
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 19:27
I went "other" - in consideration of two bands already mentioned, Supertramp and The Alan Parsons Project.  Way finer "pop" in my opinion, than Genesis.  I do love "Mama" quite a bit, though.  That's a great song.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 01:26
Originally posted by DarkTower DarkTower wrote:

Supertramp. Breakfast in America is a perfect example of very good pop.

ditto although I voted for Yes

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love is another great example if we extend beyond bands.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 07:42
The Floyd in their Syd days had good pop ditties and in SEP and AL two real 60s pop gems. They also had a no 1 pop single ABITW school choir and all.
Caravan seemed to me to have great pop sensibilities too. Even ELP had a UK no 1 hit although I feel that to all FFTCM pop is a stretch.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 07:50
I notice that some people have mentioned Supertramp which is a good call if we are including prog related bands, they produced very fine pop music. On the basis of prog related bands I would put up 10cc who were imho the best pop/rock band of the 70s. They produced a string of high quality pop singles from the likes of Rubber Bullets and the dean and I to more interesting stuff like I'm not in love and I'm mandy fly me with lots in between.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 08:45
XTC for me, I know they aren't on here but they've got enough prog in their pop sensibilities.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 09:21
An inglorious win for Genesis. Woo hoo!
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 10:49
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

I notice that some people have mentioned Supertramp which is a good call if we are including prog related bands, they produced very fine pop music. On the basis of prog related bands I would put up 10cc who were imho the best pop/rock band of the 70s. They produced a string of high quality pop singles from the likes of Rubber Bullets and the dean and I to more interesting stuff like I'm not in love and I'm mandy fly me with lots in between.

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 01:27
10cc were actually pretty remarkable as they changed their style with every hit single. Still no idea how they managed thatSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345