Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 ELP Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 00:51
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

11. Love Beach (2 points) - Still stranded on the beach with only two points. Shocked Unhappy Cry

your shock makes no sense to me. Big smileLOL
I'm shocked and disappointed that there's not much love here for Love Beach, when it's more commercially-appealing and more listenable (to my ears) than either Brain Salad Surgery or Trilogy, which aren't even in my Top 10 ELP albums. Confused

I don't think most people come to a prog website when they're looking for something with commercial appeal LOL
I think you're right, which explains why I'm in the minority here in liking the Love Beach album. Smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 07:57
I've been wondering what's happened to Father Christmas. I haven't seen him around here for awhile. Cry

Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas (from the ELP  "Works 2" album)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 22:16
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

1st album -  Brain Salad Surgery
2nd album - Trilogy
3rd album - Pictures at an Exhibition
4th album - Tarkus
5th album - Black Moon
6th album - Works Volume 1
7th album - Works Volume 2

their debut?
No? 

The debut has some great tracks (Barbarian, Knife Edge & some of Tank) but much of the material betrays the same flaws that manifest themselves 7 years later during the band's death throes i.e. the problems of satisfying such a disparate trio of personalities as ELP were manifest as early as this 1970 album. The inclusion of 'solo' tracks can be interpreted two ways: as an expediency to placate a record label anxious to meet the voracious demand for product before sufficient group material had been worked up or, ELP as an ego massage parlor. Coming full circle at the demise of their career on the 1977 Works album, the symmetry is complete, with each member getting a side each of a double album.

I agree in many respects. The appeal for me of the debut is the grainy feel of it. The production is what music should be - stand back and let the artists speak, Its a beautiful messy record that manifests all the flaws and brilliance of this unique band.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 22:47
I purchased each album in order of their release date so you get a little different perspective of the band. Their debut album was so different to me from what I was used to at the time and I wasn't familiar with The Nice. That debut album holds a unique place in my record collection and I'll always hold a soft spot for it. Each new album including the live Pictures At An Exhibition progresses the band more forward in terms of scope and experimentation. Up till the Works album it's difficult to say which is the best - maybe give it to Triology but really they're all good and you could make a case for any of the five. Where it all falls apart for the band is when they decide to go for a double album and have each band member contribute and then Keith starts to get too involved in orchestras. The beauty of Emerson Lake and Palmer is their eclectic tastes in how they approach classical pieces - Keith's employment of jazz and honky tonk in adding strange twists to the music. Taking a classic piece and transcribing it for moog, organ and piano note for note isn't where Keith's strengths lie.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 00:23
^ I always listen to albums in chronological order, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover Black Moon (1992) is one of ELP's finest albums, with Works 1 being top of my list. I can't say it's an all-time favourite though, as I only listened to all of ELP's albums for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I'll refrain from mentioning the Love Beach album again, or it'll annoy Cristi. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:07
ELP's Discography & Videography

5 stars 1970: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LupA_HcmerhVcS72ZRm6z5f
 4 stars 1974: Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lv08PZL5CkZsjxcHJy6ILWj
 3 stars 1988: 3 (Emerson, Berry & Palmer) - To the Power of Three - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvwwylCrJEuChC68BBpb9pt

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 09 2021 at 08:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:24
^ so Trilogy and In the Hot Seat are on the same level? Confused LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:51

Not exactly. I prefer Trilogy marginally over In the Hot Seat, although I prefer Love Beach over both albums, but you probably already knew that anyway. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:53

Not exactly. I prefer Trilogy marginally over In the Hot Seat, although I prefer Love Beach over both albums, but you probably already knew that anyway. Smile

so how do you make a difference in quality or your own personal preference if all three are 3 stars? Confused

Edited by Cristi - January 09 2021 at 06:53
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:55

^ I always listen to albums in chronological order, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover Black Moon (1992) is one of ELP's finest albums, with Works 1 being top of my list. I can't say it's an all-time favourite though, as I only listened to all of ELP's albums for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I'll refrain from mentioning the Love Beach album again, or it'll annoy Cristi. Wink

I've just seen this, my name being mentioned again LOL, I probably annoy you sometimes as well. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 07:26

I've just seen this, my name being mentioned again LOL, I probably annoy you sometimes as well. LOL
No, not really, I've got broad shoulders and sorry for mentioning the Love Beach album again. Tongue
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 08:38
1. Emerson, Lake and Palmer
2. Brain Salad Surgery
3. Tarkus
4. Trilogy
5. Pictures at an Exhibition
6. Works, Volume 1
7. (Pick one at random)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 08:41

so how do you make a difference in quality or your own personal preference if all three are 3 stars? Confused
Because I would've been embarrassed to give Love Beach a 4-star rating, above Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery. LOL  Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 09 2021 at 08:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 08:47
It's good to see more votes still coming in for ELP. Here's the latest Top 7 update with Tancos' votes added:-

1. Brain Salad Surgery (209 points)
2. Emerson, Lake & Palmer (174 points)
3. Tarkus (159 points)
4. Trilogy (157 points)
5. Pictures at an Exhibition (75 points)
6. Works Volume 1 (60 points)
7. Emerson, Lake & Powell (30 points)

8. Welcome Back My Friends (29 points)
9. Black Moon (22 points)
10. Works Volume 2 (11 points)

11. Love Beach (2 points) Heart
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 02:44

ELP's Discography & Videography

5 stars 1970: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LupA_HcmerhVcS72ZRm6z5f
 4 stars 1974: Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lv08PZL5CkZsjxcHJy6ILWj
 3 stars 1988: 3 (Emerson, Berry & Palmer) - To the Power of Three - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvwwylCrJEuChC68BBpb9pt

you're more an ELP fanboy than me judging by those ratings LOL

interesting that you put Works Volume One right up there with the debut and Black Moon.

In their own way they are 'perfect' albums but of course the Works album tends to be hammered generally and was a big reason why ELP ended up splitting. Nevertheless the quality and diversity of the music on that album is brilliant and deserves to have a better reputation imo. Black Moon is a rock solid album and showed ELP could be consistent , perhaps for the first time in their career.Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 04:41
^ Works 1 is my favourite ELP album, and I don't think they've ever made a bad album, although I know not everyone here will agree with that assessment. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 07:51

I think the best way of ranking my ELP Top 10 is by rating the albums out of 10. Smile

1. Works Volume 1 - 10/10
2. Black Moon - 10/10
3. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - 9/10
4. Emerson, Lake & Powell - 9/10
5. Tarkus - 8/10
6. Pictures at an Exhibition - 8/10
7. Love Beach - 7/10
8. Works Volume 2 - 7/10
9. Welcome Back My Friends -6/10
10. Trilogy - 6/10

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 12 2021 at 08:31
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 08:10

I think the best way of ranking my ELP Top 10 is by rating the albums out of 10. Smile

2. Black Moon - 10/10
5. Tarkus - 8/10
7. Love Beach - 7/10
9. Works Volume 2 - 7/10
8. Welcome Back My Friends -6/10
10. Trilogy - 6/10

oh My God, that's even worse. OuchLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 08:26

2. Black Moon - 10/10
5. Tarkus - 8/10
7. Love Beach - 7/10
8. Works Volume 2 - 7/10
10. Trilogy - 6/10

They're still in the same order as before, and you'll be happy to know "In the Hot Seat" is at the bottom of my list on 4/10. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 12 2021 at 08:31
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 08:35

2. Black Moon - 10/10
5. Tarkus - 8/10
7. Love Beach - 7/10
8. Works Volume 2 - 7/10
10. Trilogy - 6/10

They're still in the same order as before, and you'll be happy to know "In the Hot Seat" is at the bottom of my list on 4/10. Smile

if I did not know any better, I'd think you are trolling again. 
Trilogy at the bottom of your list gives me a headache. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>