Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are some Alan Parsons productions Prog related?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are some Alan Parsons productions Prog related?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are some Alan Parsons productions Prog related?
    Posted: November 30 2020 at 08:26
Let's say, albums like John Miles' Rebel or Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat.
Trivial cases: Dark Side, The Raven That Refused To Sing (already belonging to prog artists)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 08:39
No.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 10:51
Hi,

I might consider/say, that in the early days, it may have helped the music be better attended to than the simplified and crappy recordings that many bands did for their albums.

So, in that sense, for the early days, Alan Parsons as an engineer would have been "progressive", but if we're talking about the music they did in the Project, I would say no.

But, one has to realize how many of the albums he put his fingerprints on, ended up being well attended to and heard ... which kinda says something for his work ... and it is still remembered fondly, even though many of us does not associate his name with the albums ... at all! 

(Hope this helps ... was not really sure what the OP wanted or was about!)

Edited by moshkito - November 30 2020 at 10:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 12:34
 Parson's produced Modern Times,Year of the  Cat ,  and Time Passsages but tracks like  Nostradamus and Roads To Moscow fom Stewart ( Past, Present,) (not Parsons producing) cetainly can be called prog folk imho....to my ears they are as proggy as many songs called prog folk  on PA.
He also produced Ambrosia...Somewhere....and they are on PA as prog related.
Again that old subjectivity issue....Stern Smile

Edited by dr wu23 - November 30 2020 at 12:43
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 17:21
As a big fan of John Miles's Rebel album, I would not have any problem with his work being classified under "Prog-Related". Not only is the classic "Parsons sound" fully present from a production standpoint, but it also features the orchestral conducting/arrangements of Andrew Powell whose work appears on almost every Project album. 

On the other hand, Miles wears his many influences whole-heartedly on his sleeve: you can hear "shout-outs" to everyone from Paul McCartney to Elton John to Stevie Wonder. As much as I love the album, it is very derivative of early-1970s pop. Can I just add that I consider Miles to be one of the great rock'n'roll voices of all time?

Another group that might qualify for "Prog-Related" is the infamous Keats, who broke up before their Parsons-produced 1984 album was even released. It featured Colin Blunstone, Ian Bairnson, David Paton, and Stuart Elliott (all Project veterans) and Peter Bardens (Camel). I would describe the album as "ethereal pop".

As far as Al Stewart goes, consider this a resounding "NO".
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 19:06
Definitely the "Andrew Powell factor" brings Rebel closer to Parsons' own signature sound than any other album. And there are even more, I think: the guitar solo on Pull The Damn Thing Down has the epic scope of a truly progressive passage, getting to a wonderful climax with the segue into the Music reprise.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 19:31
 we did try to get Al Stewart into prog related a while back, at the same time as Shawn Phillips.  Phillips got in, Stewart did not.  Al Stewart is certainly the type of artist that a prog fan tends to appreciate
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 20:31
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

we did try to get Al Stewart into prog related a while back, at the same time as Shawn Phillips.  Phillips got in, Stewart did not.  Al Stewart is certainly the type of artist that a prog fan tends to appreciate

Sure, even in his early pre-Parsons albums. Orange is a record that I feel confident to play to prog-oriented people.
 Post Reply Post Reply