Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover Prog Britannia: First Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite debut album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [16.39%]
1 [1.64%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.64%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.64%]
3 [4.92%]
2 [3.28%]
2 [3.28%]
6 [9.84%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [13.11%]
16 [26.23%]
1 [1.64%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [6.56%]
1 [1.64%]
1 [1.64%]
3 [4.92%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.64%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

I'll give Argent a vote. It's more Zombies-style pop than prog but is a very good debut.
You can Hold Your Head Up and be proud to cast the first vote for Argent. Smile
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 11:50
It would have been a Tragedy if Argent didn't get a vote.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 12:04
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

It would have been a Tragedy if Argent didn't get a vote.

Those votes just Keep On Rollin' in. Smile
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 13:02
Talk Talk.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 13:25
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Talk Talk.
I must admit, I wasn't expecting the Synth-Pop band Talk Talk to pick up so many votes on a Prog-Rock site. Smile
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 14:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Talk Talk.
I must admit, I wasn't expecting the Synth-Pop band Talk Talk to pick up so many votes on a Prog-Rock site. Smile
Thanks to PA I have discovered the last two albums by Talk Talk. They are fully prog.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 14:25
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Talk Talk.
Thanks to PA I have discovered the last two albums by Talk Talk. They are fully prog.
Bearing that in mind, I'll have to give my Talk Talk "Spirit of Eden" album another listen. Thumbs Up
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 21:18
I went with Tubular Bells, though I do particularly like Tales of Mystery and Imagination and Days of Future Past a lot too.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 21:19

Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Mike Oldfield. The album is part of my DNA. Wink

Have you ever wondered what it would be like hear the sound of the Tubular Bells chiming at sunrise on top of Hergest Ridge at the Ommadawn of a new day? Looking out to sea from the top of the ridge, you'd be able to see the sun casting its delicate Incantations of light across a calm Platinum silver sea. In the distance, you might be lucky enough to see the QE2 sailing Five Miles Out from Southampton, where the lucky passengers are temporarily escaping the world's Crises by  embarking on a voyage of Discovery to exotic tropical Islands. A voyage aboard a luxury cruise liner promises to be an Earth Moving experience of a lifetime, where you could sail to the exotic island of Amarok in Indonesia, or witness a tropical monsoon when the Heavens Open over Java. It's almost as exotic as the astronauts who journeyed to the Moon aboard gleaming silver rockets, which glinted in the Sun like Tubular Bells II of stainless steel. As the space travellers journeyed into orbit around the Moon, they'd hear The Songs of Distant Earth aboard their Voyager spacecraft. Maybe they'd listen to Tubular Bells III and the distinctive sound of Mike Oldfield's Guitars, whilst the tolling of The Millennium Bell on the album announces the beginning of a new century. The Tres Lunas (or three lunar astronauts) would be travelling between Light + Shade as their spacecraft orbits the Moon, where the Music of the Spheres can be heard across space and time. Maybe one day in the not too distant future, a spacecraft will land a Man on the Rocks of Mars, before the long journey home and a welcome Return to Ommadawn here on Earth. Smile

Actually, if I were at Hergest Ridge, I would more likely feel like listening to the Hergest Ridge album over Tubular Bells
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 23:35
Peter Gabriel.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 23:58
The Bells Made My Deaf You Know...Oldfield
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 04:41

Talk Talk.
Bearing that in mind, I'll have to give my Talk Talk "Spirit of Eden" album another listen. Thumbs Up
I didn't listen to Talk Talk before, so I couldn't compare it with the pop stuff. Maybe this is why it works with me.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 05:05
^ I like Talk Talk's Synth-Pop stuff too, including this classic song.....

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 05:18
^ thank you, Captain Obvious 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 06:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ thank you, Captain Obvious 

My Pleasure, and there's now a second Crossover Prog poll For Your Pleasure, featuring Roxy Music, amongst others. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 06:34

Talk Talk.
Yes, you need to. It's about as far away from synth-pop as you can get. It's also the greatest album ever made imo.
You need to allocate an hour of time when you won't be disturbed, dim the lights, put your best headphones on and listen. Prepare to be amazed.

Edited by chopper - December 03 2020 at 06:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 07:04
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Talk Talk.
Yes, you need to. It's about as far away from synth-pop as you can get. It's also the greatest album ever made imo.
You need to allocate an hour of time when you won't be disturbed, dim the lights, put your best headphones on and listen. Prepare to be amazed.
I haven't listened to Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden album in a long long time, but I will do now, although it won't be Today. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 15:41
It's Such a Shame The Party's Over, but Life's What You Make It and you can still enjoy this great song Today from Talk Talk. Smile

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 00:30
Great list but I will pick 'Tales' here.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 06:17
Gabriel 1st is my favourite album of his solo career.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>