Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

jethro tull (songs from the wood)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jethro tull (songs from the wood)
    Posted: December 01 2020 at 14:32
Last really fun or hopefull album for ian and tull ,i listened with a kind of great feeling of wonder i.e CUP OF WONDER. Start to finish superb record with a lot of folk sounding songs ,i have not listened to the steven wilson mix but barres licks and riffs are very solid, so it is not a folk album ,ian,s vocals are amazing ,the big 3 for me are the title track, RING OUT SOLISTICE BELLS (a christmas classic) and THE WHISTLER .A return to form similiar to STAND UP,once again thanks, for taking the time to read my review GRANT

Edited by grantman - December 01 2020 at 19:16
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 15:30
Have you listened to songs from the Grumblewood? If not, I suspect you might enjoy it when you do....

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 03:25
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Last really fun or hopefull album for ian and tull ,i listened with a kind of great feeling of wonder i.e CUP OF WONDER. Start to finish superb record with a lot of folk sounding songs ,i have not listened to the steven wilson mix but barres licks and riffs are very solid, so it is not a folk album ,ian,s vocals are amazing ,the big 3 for me are the title track, RING OUT SOLISTICE BELLS (a christmas classic) and THE WHISTLER .A return to form similiar to STAND UP,once again thanks, for taking the time to read my review GRANT

Clap I dig The Whistler :)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 04:41
An excellent album to play at Christmas time. One of Tull's best, btw. Every song is top notch.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 05:05
Not much to add. Songs from the Wood are superb. That quirky mix of dated synths, vocal harmonies, acoustic guitars galore and ancient/mythological themes turned out perfectly. Love it from start to bottom, album cover included. Also got a Steven Wilson mix with 96p book - would like to have them all, but if I was to have just one, SFTW would be my pick.

There is simply so much to explore and marvel at. Velvet Green has such a fantastic, chamber atmosphere to it. Look up my review if you care, it's full of praise!

Btw, Heavy Horses is (to me) pretty much the same level of perfection, and I gave 4 stars to Stormwatch - something magical about that lineup.
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 08:53
Stormwatch and Heavy horses are excellent, but i find the mood a little bit different that it has a lot more serious subject matters ( environmental issues ,animal protection,farming )i never thought ian would shy away from them ,it changed the band, but in a good way ,a more mature outfit like the later beatles that grew into a more serious band.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 09:00
Very good album but I have always been let down by the last two tracks....Pibroch is a weird beast at 8:38..it really never delivers and just kind of hangs there for 8 minutes. And Fire is nice as far as the sentimental lyrics but the actual song is not that interesting.....still the first 7 tracks are strong so one of my favorite Tull outings.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 02 2020 at 09:01
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 10:13
I like it quite a bit but these days prefer Heavy Horses.  With "songs" they were going where the Fairports and Steeleyes of the world had already gone and I would argue those groups did it better.  Well, other than Pilbroch that does little for me.  With "Heavy Horses" they were setting a new agenda that more serious Celtic rock groups like THE MORRIGAN and OYESTERBAND would adopt and extend in the future

Edited by kenethlevine - December 02 2020 at 10:14
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 12:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Pibroch is a weird beast at 8:38..it really never delivers and just kind of hangs there for 8 minutes.
In my opinion one of the best and most emotional tracks on the album and in the whole Tull career.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 15:30
Get the remix book versions. SFTW sounds great. A couple of cool extra tracks too. Horses is probably even better. Similar great sound but with more bonus tracks. Probably a double album worth of tracks. Stormwatch is my fave of these 3. The sound isn’t quite as great as the other two but the double album worth of tracks is awesome. Aqualung another great double album worth. Passion is similar. Great sound and the full Chateau tapes with excellent sound. Warchild is a triple album. Hopefully the remix sets get released again. Most of them are 5 stars. Even Too old is cool now. An ep of cool extras. I think I like Tulls non album collection more than their album collection. They have 10 albums worth of extras between 68 and 84
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 15:37
My favorite Tull record. And yes on the remix.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 18:14
5 star remixes

A Passion play
Aqualung
Thick as a brick
Songs from the wood
Heavy horses
Stormwatch

Sound quality and studio quality they’re all now on par with Thick as a brick. So many great outtakes
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 18:28
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

5 star remixes

A Passion play
Aqualung
Thick as a brick
Songs from the wood
Heavy horses
Stormwatch

Sound quality and studio quality they’re all now on par with Thick as a brick. So many great outtakes

Minstrel in the Gallery, too!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 23:43
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

5 star remixes

A Passion play
Aqualung
Thick as a brick
Songs from the wood
Heavy horses
Stormwatch

Minstrel in the Gallery, too!

Minstrel is my least fave of the 12 remix sets so far. I’d still give it close to 4 stars. Never been a big fan of the album and the remix doesn’t give us any new studio tracks apart from a couple of early versions. The sound is mildly better though. After the 5 star remixes I mentioned earlier I’d rank the others in order below as

Warchild 4.5 star
Benefit 4.4 star
Too old 4.3 star
Stand up 4.2 star
This was 4.1 star
Minstrel 4.0 star
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 02:18
SFTW and Heavy Horses are two excellent Tull albums, but my heart remains with Stand Up :)
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 06:40
Stand up is a great album the true tull standard.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 07:53
I will always say that Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung are overall the best things Tull ever did...not that some of the later ones aren't excellent  also. Anderson's forte was always the 3.5-4 min clever/witty rock song...not the so-called 'prog epics' he and the band did later.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 08:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I will always say that Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung are overall the best things Tull ever did...not that some of the later ones aren't excellent  also. Anderson's forte was always the 3.5-4 min clever/witty rock song...not the so-called 'prog epics' he and the band did later.
You left out TAAB.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 09:56
Thanks for mentioning benefit ,i haven,t heard it yet will check it out dr wu 23.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 10:50
Oh, Benefit is great!  Some real stunners, including his best Tull does Gordon Lightfoot approximation on "Inside"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>