Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

jethro tull (songs from the wood)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 13:01
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I will always say that Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung are overall the best things Tull ever did...

I risk to be in the minority here, but for me mentioned albums had 2-3 great songs ("Bouree", "To Cry You A Song", "Aqualung", "Locomotive Breath"... add some your favs) and a number of decent, but weaker songs, while "Songs From The Wood" is breathtaking from start to finish - all killer, no filler. 
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 16:14
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I will always say that Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung are overall the best things Tull ever did...

I risk to be in the minority here, but for me mentioned albums had 2-3 great songs ("Bouree", "To Cry You A Song", "Aqualung", "Locomotive Breath"... add some your favs) and a number of decent, but weaker songs, while "Songs From The Wood" is breathtaking from start to finish - all killer, no filler. 

Indeed! Clap
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 16:34
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I like it quite a bit but these days prefer Heavy Horses.  With "songs" they were going where the Fairports and Steeleyes of the world had already gone and I would argue those groups did it better.  Well, other than Pilbroch that does little for me.  With "Heavy Horses" they were setting a new agenda that more serious Celtic rock groups like THE MORRIGAN and OYESTERBAND would adopt and extend in the future
Still, to this day, 'Horses leaves me cold. I guess I'd have to be restrained, Clockwork Orange-style, for a intensely close listen to it to possibly find something redeeming. As for SFTW, festive and winning - I always discover some small part of it in each listen that enhances the experience even further.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 02:01
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Get the remix book versions. SFTW sounds great. A couple of cool extra tracks too. Horses is probably even better. Similar great sound but with more bonus tracks. Probably a double album worth of tracks. Stormwatch is my fave of these 3. The sound isn’t quite as great as the other two but the double album worth of tracks is awesome. Aqualung another great double album worth. Passion is similar. Great sound and the full Chateau tapes with excellent sound. Warchild is a triple album. Hopefully the remix sets get released again. Most of them are 5 stars. Even Too old is cool now. An ep of cool extras. I think I like Tulls non album collection more than their album collection. They have 10 albums worth of extras between 68 and 84

Is there any way to get these Wilson remixes without breaking the bank? Last time I checked most of them were unavailable sadly!
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 02:23
Some of them are on Spotify, or you could look here.

https://burningshed.com/store/headphonedust/remixes/jethro-tull-sw-remixes

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 07:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I will always say that Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung are overall the best things Tull ever did...not that some of the later ones aren't excellent  also. Anderson's forte was always the 3.5-4 min clever/witty rock song...not the so-called 'prog epics' he and the band did later.
You left out TAAB.
Oh my..I left out TAAB...  shame on me Wink  
Well...I like TAAB...for the most part, though it's one musical idea stretched over two sides.
But this thread is about 'Songs' and it's a more interesting outing for me so even though the plebes missed my appreciation of SFTW....let me say it is one of my favorite Tull platters .a few 'songs' notwithstanding.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 21:33
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Get the remix book versions. SFTW sounds great. A couple of cool extra tracks too. Horses is probably even better. Similar great sound but with more bonus tracks. Probably a double album worth of tracks. Stormwatch is my fave of these 3. The sound isn’t quite as great as the other two but the double album worth of tracks is awesome. Aqualung another great double album worth. Passion is similar. Great sound and the full Chateau tapes with excellent sound. Warchild is a triple album. Hopefully the remix sets get released again. Most of them are 5 stars. Even Too old is cool now. An ep of cool extras. I think I like Tulls non album collection more than their album collection. They have 10 albums worth of extras between 68 and 84

Is there any way to get these Wilson remixes without breaking the bank? Last time I checked most of them were unavailable sadly!

No reason we won’t 50th anniversary versions. I’m hoping for a Too old 50th and missing tapes are found. Double album of studio
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 08:56
I like SFTW and Wilson's remix really is very good. However I prefer HH and Stormwatch. However I'm probably in a minority there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12