Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random Album Clash - 1965

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick your favorite album out of the 15 released back in 1965!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [56.82%]
2 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.27%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.55%]
2 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [22.73%]
1 [2.27%]
1 [2.27%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random Album Clash - 1965
    Posted: December 02 2020 at 00:19
Well, this is the eleventh week of RAC, time flies quickly! Let's tackle a year whose results might turn out to be very interesting... also, we have some not so predictable names here and a good bunch of 'The' bands, so pick a favorite from 1965 and leave a comment!

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - December 03 2020 at 00:26
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 00:29
Forgot to put it in the first comment, so
Here are all the winners so far:
1970 - 'Lizard'
1992 - 'Hybris'
1985 - 'Misplaced Childhood'
2019 - 'Resistance'
1968 - 'A Saucerful of Secrets'
1975 - 'Fish Out of Water'
2000 - 'Lightbulb Sun'
1982 - 'Signals'
1995 - 'THRAK'
2005 - 'Deadwing'

Here are some statistics from all the 11 editions so far:
-Both King Crimson and Porcupine Tree have had 5 albums across the editions so far, and both of these bands have won twice
-Frank Zappa has appeared four times but is yet to win
-Anglagard and Chris Squire are the only entries to have 100% win percentage, winning the single times they have appeared on the series
-A total of 469 votes have been cast for these 11 weeks
-105 different bands have appeared so far!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 00:56
I'm flying high with the Byrds, but Rubber Sole reminds me that I need to replace my worn-out slippers. Smile
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 06:18
Rubber Soul just ahead of Help
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 07:01
The Beatles - 'Rubber Soul'
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The Beatles - 'Rubber Soul'

Wot 'e said.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 09:14
Probably Rubber Soul...but Rave Up, My Generation ,  Out of Our Heads(Satisfaction...) , and Turn,Turn, Turn... are all very good also.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 09:24
I have to admit I saw 'Rubber Soul' as the sole favorite but I am just a tint surprised that John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' is getting a good number of votes as well.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 09:31
I actually like Help a little better then Rubber Soul so that gets my vote. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 10:46
Without any doubt: A Love Supreme by John Coltrane.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 10:47
A Love Supreme takes it for me, followed by both Beatles albums.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 12:12
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

I have to admit I saw 'Rubber Soul' as the sole favorite but I am just a tint surprised that John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' is getting a good number of votes as well.

Well, Coltrane was a visionary. I don't like his tone or his style that much, but I cannot downplay his significance in the music world. His usage of triadic shifting and hexatonic stuff was revolutionary. Probably the most important figure in modal jazz, after Miles Davis sort of popularized it I guess.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 12:28
Rubber Soul.

Was I the only one who was confused by the poll question? It says favorite album of 1968, but the topic said 1965. Anyway, I understood by looking at the albums, so what the neck!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 12:53

Well, this is the eleventh week of RAC, time flies quickly! Let's tackle a year whose results might turn out to be very interesting... also, we have some not so predictable names here and a good bunch of 'The' bands, so pick a favorite from 1965 and leave a comment!
You have a good bunch of bands but you don't have The Band: Music from the Big Pink (1968) Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 02 2020 at 12:54
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 13:02
It's between Rubber Soul and Having a Rave Up with the Yardbirds. At the end, I voted for the Beatles.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 14:25
Wrong forum. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 14:51
OK, I'm going to cause a little trouble here.Evil Smile

Rubber Soul could have been an absolutely amazing album, here's how.
Take Drive my Car, Michelle & Run for your Life & set them on fire. 

Go with the American release that has I've just seen a Face but keep Nowhere Man & and add We can work it Out which was recorded during the Rubber Soul sessions but not put on the album.  Throw in Day Tripper, (also recorded during those sessions but released as a single, not on the album) and BAM! Absolutely killer album. 

I realize many people love the Rubber Soul just the way it is but in my mind this would have been a better album. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 15:24
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

You have a good bunch of bands but you don't have The Band: Music from the Big Pink (1968) Wink

Well, I don't know them, I guess I will have to check The Band!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 15:46

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Well, I don't know them, I guess I will have to check The Band!
I must admit, I was a bit confused by the year mentioned in your poll question: - "Pick your favorite album out of the 15 released back in *1968*", but then just above that it says "Random Album Clash - 1965". I'm guessing you copied and pasted the question from your 1968 random album poll without changing the year. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 02 2020 at 15:48
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 18:33
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

OK, I'm going to cause a little trouble here.Evil Smile

Rubber Soul could have been an absolutely amazing album, here's how.
Take Drive my Car, Michelle & Run for your Life & set them on fire. 

Go with the American release that has I've just seen a Face but keep Nowhere Man & and add We can work it Out which was recorded during the Rubber Soul sessions but not put on the album.  Throw in Day Tripper, (also recorded during those sessions but released as a single, not on the album) and BAM! Absolutely killer album. 

I realize many people love the Rubber Soul just the way it is but in my mind this would have been a better album. 

No Michelle? Crime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>