Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random Album Clash - 1965

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Pick your favorite album out of the 15 released back in 1965!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [56.82%]
2 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.27%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.55%]
2 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [22.73%]
1 [2.27%]
1 [2.27%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 19:21
A predictable vote from me.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 00:25
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Well, this is the eleventh week of RAC, time flies quickly! Let's tackle a year whose results might turn out to be very interesting... also, we have some not so predictable names here and a good bunch of 'The' bands, so pick a favorite from 1965 and leave a comment!
You have a good bunch of bands but you don't have The Band: Music from the Big Pink (1968) Wink

Well, I don't know them, I guess I will have to check The Band!
I must admit, I was a bit confused by the year mentioned in your poll question: - "Pick your favorite album out of the 15 released back in *1968*", but then just above that it says "Random Album Clash - 1965". I'm guessing you copied and pasted the question from your 1968 random album poll without changing the year. Wink

Ahh, you're right. So many polls, and so many questions that one can easily get lost! Thanks for telling me.

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - December 03 2020 at 00:26
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 07:30
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

OK, I'm going to cause a little trouble here.Evil Smile

Rubber Soul could have been an absolutely amazing album, here's how.
Take Drive my Car, Michelle & Run for your Life & set them on fire. 

Go with the American release that has I've just seen a Face but keep Nowhere Man & and add We can work it Out which was recorded during the Rubber Soul sessions but not put on the album.  Throw in Day Tripper, (also recorded during those sessions but released as a single, not on the album) and BAM! Absolutely killer album. 

I realize many people love the Rubber Soul just the way it is but in my mind this would have been a better album. 

No Michelle? Crime.

Yea, Sorry I never liked that song. Of course many people would disagree with me. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 07:37

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

OK, I'm going to cause a little trouble here.Evil Smile

Rubber Soul could have been an absolutely amazing album, here's how.
Take Drive my Car, Michelle & Run for your Life & set them on fire. 

Go with the American release that has I've just seen a Face but keep Nowhere Man & and add We can work it Out which was recorded during the Rubber Soul sessions but not put on the album.  Throw in Day Tripper, (also recorded during those sessions but released as a single, not on the album) and BAM! Absolutely killer album. 

I realize many people love the Rubber Soul just the way it is but in my mind this would have been a better album. 

No Michelle? Crime.

Yea, Sorry I never liked that song. Of course many people would disagree with me. 
No I agree, I'd happily wave goodbye to her (and Run For Your Life, even Lennon thought that was cr*p) but you can't get rid of Drive My Car.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 08:26
I vote for the predictable album, Rubber Soul is genius, followed by the two John Coltrane ones.

I wouldn't complain about having We Can Work it Out and Day Tripper added to Rubber Soul, but I wouldn't want to throw away anything from it, OK maybe Run For Your Life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 11:45
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Wrong forum. 

Yep...just gonna say that.....most of those aren't even on PA... should be in general music area.
Ermm

Edited by dr wu23 - December 03 2020 at 11:47
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 11:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Wrong forum. 

Yep...just gonna say that.....most of those aren't even on PA... should be in general music area.
Ermm

Send a message to one of the admins if it bothers you so much. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 12:19
The Beatles- Rubber Soul >John Coltrane>Miles Davis
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 16:39
Another poll undermined by the obvious behemoth. Pointless.

Edited by Rednight - December 03 2020 at 16:44
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 16:54
I mean, I like The Who a lot more than the Beatles, but 'Rubber Soul' probably does win out here.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 00:29
'Rubber Soul' is the first ever entry in the series so far to reach 20 votes, and even go beyond that number!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 03:05
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I disagree, the result of the polls is unexpected, Rubber Soul winning by that much against those jazz giants. 
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 03:20
Lyrically Dylan's 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Bringing it All Back Home' (both 1965) are way more progressive than anything else on this list (that has lyrics).

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 03:34
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I disagree, the result of the polls is unexpected, Rubber Soul winning by that much against those jazz giants. 
I agree. It wasn't obvious to me that Rubber Sole was going to be flying high at the top of this particular flagpole, especially considering I was flying Eight Miles High with the Byrds instead. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 04:12

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I agree. It wasn't obvious to me that Rubber Sole was going to be flying high at the top of this particular flagpole, especially considering I was flying Eight Miles High with the Byrds instead. Smile

Neither did I expect such outcome.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 12:36
Including John Coltrane (I voted for A Love Supreme) is not entirely fair because it gives no one else a chance.  Nobody familiar with Coltrane's oeuvre is gonna vote for The Beatles or the Beach Boys.  The only band that tempted me was The Yardbirds, who were hugely influential, but I couldn't, I just couldn't.  Coltrane made serious music, which is what prog is supposed to be.

I am not, btw, surprised at the showing of Rubber Soul.  It is pleasant enough, but if I had voted for The Beatles, I would have voted for the far superior Help (UK edition). 

Edited by socrates17 - December 20 2020 at 12:39
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 23:00
The Beach Boys could just about have won this if they didn't have a couple of stinkers on this album. Turn! Turn! Turn! is another great album. The harmonies on the Byrds are fantastic, only to be outdone by Crosby, Stills and Nash. Having said that Rubber Soul is one of the big four Beatles albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12