Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rachel Flowers - Ars Longa Vita Brevis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rachel Flowers - Ars Longa Vita Brevis
    Posted: December 03 2020 at 20:18
On November 28, 2020 Rachel played a 90 minute live streaming concert on StageIt for the ProgStock Moogvember series. This was a very special show for her, as she got to play some of her favorite progressive rock covers. To no one's great surprise, 90 minutes wasn't long enough, so as a thank you to her fans, to ProgStock, and to the Bob Moog Foundation, she went back to the organ a couple of days later and recorded one more epic tune for everyone who attended her concert, and for all her fans. Ars Longa Vita Brevis is the second album by the English progressive rock group the Nice. The Nice were true rock pioneers, combining elements of rock, classical, jazz, and even folk music in their recordings and live performances. It's easy to see why the band attracted Rachel's attention! While Rachel's version had to omit the extended drum solo of the original, I think you will find that she captures the spirit of the band, while adding her own special flair... or, as we like to say, she Rachelified it. You will note that we set up a second camera to capture Rachel's footwork on the bass pedals. We haven't forgotten the feedback from Rachel's early videos on the organ, and we didn't want to make that mistake again! We hope you will enjoy this. Rachel had a blast playing it for you!

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 20:40
Nice.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 20:45
Incredible.
Once again, Rachel knocks it out of the park.
Always enjoyable listening to her play.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 21:53
Hi,

Another WOW ... super nice!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 02:50
Amazing that she can play Ars Longa Vita Brevis like that without the group or orchestra on the original. Would love to hear her perform the Emerson Piano Concerto with a full orchestra one day.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 04:26
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Would love to hear her perform the Emerson Piano Concerto with a full orchestra one day.
Not the best quality but here is the third movement

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 06:36
She is certainly a very talented artist. Thanks you for posting this.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 06:50
Rachel is so yummy ....and talented to boot :)Heart
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 07:39
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

Yummy? Really? You know she's blind right?

Anyway, she's very talented and deserves even more exposure. Also, she's not just an ELP fan but a fan of classic prog in general and has played at Progstock and also with Dweezil Zappa.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 08:05
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Anyway, she's very talented and deserves even more exposure. Also, she's not just an ELP fan but a fan of classic prog in general and has played at Progstock and also with Dweezil Zappa.

I know Rachel's blind, but what the hell? That sure doesn't make her less attractive in my book :):):)
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 08:12
Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Would love to hear her perform the Emerson Piano Concerto with a full orchestra one day.
Not the best quality but here is the third movement

Thanks, didn't realise Rachel had actually performed it with a full orchestra. I have seen her solo version and that's pretty amazing, she even does the flute parts. They really should book her to play the piano concerto during the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall, but I guess Keith Emerson lacks the cache and cool for this to happen.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 12:06

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I know Rachel's blind, but what the hell? That sure doesn't make her less attractive in my book :):):)
Seconded, I've never understood comments like that. Although, sexualizing a woman who isn't your partner at any time isn't all that appropriate to express openly like that either.

Both of you...Time outs all around !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 14:08
I have epilepsy and was treated by major brain surgery, so I often categorize myself as "disabled..."  However, when I see this lovely young woman perform, I feel humbled.  She is amazing and deserves widespread acclaim.  As we say in our community, she is not disabled, but enabled! Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 02:27

I don't know, the yummy thing was kind of cringe.

I can't imagine people here would be comfortable if I went around telling everyone which male prog muso's I find physically attractive.

I'm sure it's not something they particularly want to hear.

Edited by Spacegod87 - December 05 2020 at 02:29
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 06:35
Rachel is a lovely , talented woman.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 12:19
She's so talented. Would make for a nice concert together with Pete Jones.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:17
Your monthly reminder that Rachel plays a mean guitar in addition to being a keyboard wiz.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 17:41
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

<i style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">I know Rachel's blind, but what the hell? That sure doesn't make her less attractive in my book :):):)

I don't know, the yummy thing was kind of cringe.

I can't imagine people here would be comfortable if I went around telling everyone which male prog muso's I find physically attractive.

I'm sure it's not something they particularly want to hear.

You might try it, though I'm afraid that as we are mostly men it would not last very long... but even men might have a few things to say about that. Still, Yummy does sound out of place, he might have just said pretty, cute, or something... and not just because she can't see, but by referring to any woman. It should be a compliment to anyone to be aknowledged to be atractive... though in a forum like this, artists should prefer to be acknoledged by their musical talent.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:00
Rachel is a talented and very attractive woman.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

You might try it, though I'm afraid that as we are mostly men it would not last very long... but even men might have a few things to say about that. Still, Yummy does sound out of place, he might have just said pretty, cute, or something... and not just because she can't see, but by referring to any woman. It should be a compliment to anyone to be aknowledged to be atractive... though in a forum like this, artists should prefer to be acknoledged by their musical talent.

i.e. stick to safe words like "babe," etc. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply