Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Here's a Gabriel-Era Genesis Question for You...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here's a Gabriel-Era Genesis Question for You...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 06:38
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Seven Stones, "I heard the old man tell his tale"

"And the changes of no consequence will pick up the reins from nowhere": my favorite line by Peter
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 08:18
1. Musical Box
2. Firth of Fifth
3. Cinema Show
4. Harold the Barrel (Genesis' most underrated and misunderstood song, one of their greatest)
PROGMATIC
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 10:00
I like all of the above suggestions--especially "Cinema Show," "Can-Utility and the Coastliners," and The Musical Box" but I have this soul-connection with the subtle perfection of "The Lamia." Gabe at his very, very best; poetic lyrics, amazingly sensuous diction, great flute play, incredible drumming from Phil, and amazing guitar work from Steve. Simply the best, every note, every motif. I cannot say the same for any of the other songs mentioned above (by myself or my other esteemed PA members).
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 10:23
After initially being turned off by the Banks-fest on Battle of Epping Forest, I now turn to it as a fave.  For me, it's quintessential Gabriel  - the humorous word play and campy delivery all while "parodying to point out" social ills is what Gabriel did best......an absolute classic.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 10:59
Fifth
Box
Fountain
Watcher
Stones
...in that order....mostly.   
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 12:29
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

After initially being turned off by the Banks-fest on Battle of Epping Forest, I now turn to it as a fave.  For me, it's quintessential Gabriel  - the humorous word play and campy delivery all while "parodying to point out" social ills is what Gabriel did best......an absolute classic.  

I agree. Screw the haters.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 23:03
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Dude it's one of my favorite Genesis songs, lol. I made a thread a year or so back about it! It's a highlight on SEBTP for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 23:28
After much thought, I'd say "Can Utility and the Coastliners." 

I mean "Firth of Fifth." 

I mean....

Edited by cstack3 - December 06 2020 at 23:29
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 23:37
"The Fifth of Seven Stones on the Coastline near The Musical Box on The Fountain of Salmacis"

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 00:37
I REALLY like Time Table.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 01:40
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Me too.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 03:23
1. The Musical Box
2. Stagnation
3. Suppers Ready
4. Firth of Fifth
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 15:20
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

1. The Musical Box
2. Stagnation
3. Suppers Ready
4. Firth of Fifth

How could i have forgotton 'Stagnation'?!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 17:46
When I was starting to know Genesis and prog, I would have easily gone with Firth of Fifth (perhaps even over Supper's Ready), now even though it might actually be the correct answer, I would have a hard time choosing between it and Dancing with the Moonlit Knight (and Supper's Ready).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 21:38
Moonlight Knight for me. I like it more than Supper's Ready anyway.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 23:11
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Me too.

Likewise! The entire album is a favorite, if I must be honest though Wink. Prog perfection!

I still think More Fool Me tarnishes SEBTP from having an absolutely perfect score. It still boggles my mind that they threw that on there. In any other situation, literally, that would be fine, but on this album..?!

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 00:43
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Me too.

Likewise! The entire album is a favorite, if I must be honest though Wink. Prog perfection!

I still think More Fool Me tarnishes SEBTP from having an absolutely perfect score. It still boggles my mind that they threw that on there. In any other situation, literally, that would be fine, but on this album..?!

I don't know, I find it rather charming. Phil really is a very pretty singer and the acoustics have never sounded more lovely. I look at it as an intermission of sorts, between the dazzling end of the first act (FoF) and the frantic start of the second (BoEF). Especially if you're on CD or digital, it's good to have a little breather in there between such mind bending epics.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 00:46

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Me too.

I don't know, I find it rather charming. Phil really is a very pretty singer and the acoustics have never sounded more lovely. I look at it as an intermission of sorts, between the dazzling end of the first act (FoF) and the frantic start of the second (BoEF). Especially if you're on CD or digital, it's good to have a little breather in there between such mind bending epics.

Nobody is a bigger Phil Collins fan boi on PA than myself, and it still doesn't click! I guess my gripe is it feels premature. I skip it 100% of the time and go right from FoF to TBoEF like a complete and utter Gabriel-obsessed manic lol.

...ALONG A FOREST ROAD; THERE'S HUNDREDS OF CARS! LUXURY CARS! Tongue

thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 01:07
In our series of polls, Firth of Fifth got the 2nd place. My pick is The Cinema Show though.
Basically the same level of awesome + extremely satisfying guitar licks + great atmosphere + perfect finisher + that extended Banks solo towards the end is so potent that it creates worlds each time I listen to it.
Def Banks best moment.

(Firth is great too but I listened to it a hundred times too many I guess!)
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 02:28
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

In our series of polls, Firth of Fifth got the 2nd place. My pick is The Cinema Show though.
Basically the same level of awesome + extremely satisfying guitar licks + great atmosphere + perfect finisher + that extended Banks solo towards the end is so potent that it creates worlds each time I listen to it.
Def Banks best moment.

(Firth is great too but I listened to it a hundred times too many I guess!)

The ending synth solo section on Cinema Show is the best piece of Tony Banks music ever IMHO.

FoF is the best overall song, but that ending section on CS is his peak with this album IMHO. Unparalleled perfection.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>