Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Strawbs album due Feb. 2021.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 09:33
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^yep
Yup, is right. I just listened to From The Witchwood recently. Such a superb album when I'm in the mood for some pastoral prog.

Hi,

Just heard one song from the album last night (on Space Pirate Radio!!!), and it was a pretty good rocker. It's making me want to hear more of the album and I will get to it this week. 

The only thing that I am thinking is that Dave Cousins, now only does the "meaningful" song, in his words, and that's that ... and while he has always done that, his emotional feel seems to have gotten a bit bitter in time (more than before), when you could hear different stories before. I like his previous album and the song about the nails is "MASSIVE", but I think that the wording is getting people to turn left and leave ... to me, it is a real strong dig at a lot of music that has little meaning, and while he can appreciate BS, in the end, he is finding a lot of his music hollow, I think!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 15:32
I agree he is only doing story or topical songs these days, but it seems to me he is doing what he wants now, and luckily has the support of Cherry Red to do it.  I think where Strawbs lost their way somewhat in the late 1970s was when they stopped being true to that voice.  They have always had that gift for melody but everything became somehow lightweight.  That helped contribute to their decline in popularity.  At this point they seem to be playing mostly for themselves and their existing fan base and, while they are probably gaining few new fans, I would guess that the sales of even the recent albums would be the envy of many of today's prog groups.  Because they are not, nor have they ever been, strictly a prog group

Edited by kenethlevine - March 07 2021 at 15:33
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 12:58

I agree he is only doing story or topical songs these days, but it seems to me he is doing what he wants now, and luckily has the support of Cherry Red to do it.  I think where Strawbs lost their way somewhat in the late 1970s was when they stopped being true to that voice.  They have always had that gift for melody but everything became somehow lightweight.  That helped contribute to their decline in popularity.  At this point they seem to be playing mostly for themselves and their existing fan base and, while they are probably gaining few new fans, I would guess that the sales of even the recent albums would be the envy of many of today's prog groups.  Because they are not, nor have they ever been, strictly a prog group

Hi,

A lot of the "breaks" in the band were on account of Dave going back to doing his job in developing FM radio in England (I might have not described it quite right!), and then in between ... folks wanted some more Strawbs. 

All in all, I think it hurt, and I agree with you, that it might have made it difficult to be true to his voice, but he explains ... I had to pay for the house ... and a car! Financially it was a disaster for him, and my thoughts were/are that he did not own his early music ... and was not gaining a nickel from it at all ... which, of course would not help, even if it was small, but a month's rent would have been nice, no?

I have not been able to write a good review of the book, because of that duality ... they just seems to at odds with each other ... and I still have not seen what I would imagine is "the real Dave Cousins" ... as his lyrics are fleeting ... and some of the songs, seem to not be exactly "attached" to the words, even if he can accentuate them well enough to make it look like the song is fine!

I think that something has been lost during his time ... though I still like the albums, but the last 2 or 3 have become just about 2 or 3 songs ... and the rest felt somewhat forgetful.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:13
I tend to agree with you, Moshkito....the duality of the autobiography was difficult for me, as well.  At least, for him, his work in FM was somewhat connected still to music, rather than being a CPA or something, but I didn't find that as interesting as his viewpoint on his band, etc.  And I felt that in some ways, he was guarded, as well.  

Wondering if others felt that way, reading it?

I have always found something to love with almost every release, Strawbs or Cousins or collaborations, btw, just don't have this one in hand yet.

Edited by Snicolette - March 08 2021 at 13:14
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:51
I think it's impossible to listen to a song like Benedictus or Lay Down and not conclude that Cousins was and is a deely spiritual person. I wish that he would have touched on that in his bio. I agree with you Nickie, half a book about a man's life in radio had no attraction for me.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 16:50
Good points all.  It sounded like in the 1970s Cousins was paid by the management company, I'm guessing a salary with potential bonus, because he does mention in the autobiography that he depended on the money from management to pay his way as well as wives and children from a couple of marriages, so he had to go into radio and probably accumulated most of his wealth during those 20 years.  I skipped over a lot of that part of the book as the details of it don't interest me much.  

What was just as disappointing was that he barely mentions the minimal band activities during those 2 decades, and does not even mention the two albums released in 1987 and 1991.  I happen to think "Don't Day Goodbye" is better than any album after Ghosts released up to that point, but Cousins is so stuck on "Deep Cuts" as being a great album.  It's like he was ashamed of those albums or sees them as not even a footnote.

He has always skirted around the religious issue but clearly that is an important part of who he is and also has contributed to some of his most authentic songs, like the ones you mention as well as "A Glimpse of Heaven" and, even recently, "When the Spirit Moves".

On the subject of the album, at least the streaming version plays well several times through due to its diversity.  There are several tracks where Cousins' voice is rather detracting, in this case the softer numbers.  On "Ferryman's Curse", Tsangarides kept it from ever reaching this stage, but of course he is 3 years older and of advanced age, so we will never know if the late Chris could have still helped.  Yes the vocal on the "Ferryman's Curse" track is dire but that is mostly the fault of the song, while in the new album all the songs are good but his voice fails in several.  Oh well!

Edited by kenethlevine - March 10 2021 at 16:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 17:24
And oddly, or maybe not, "Deep Cuts," is one of my lesser loved Strawbs LPs, although I do like a few individual tracks.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 18:19
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

And oddly, or maybe not, "Deep Cuts," is one of my lesser loved Strawbs LPs, although I do like a few individual tracks.  

the only one I think is weaker than "Deep Cuts" is "Heartbreak Hill", even though it's much proggier than Deep Cuts.  It's prog yes but it's poor.  But yes, a song like "Simple Visions" is going to elevate any album it's on
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 18:31
Yes, that's a beauty!  Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 06:20

Good points all.  It sounded like in the 1970s Cousins was paid by the management company, I'm guessing a salary with potential bonus, because he does mention in the autobiography that he depended on the money from management to pay his way as well as wives and children from a couple of marriages, so he had to go into radio and probably accumulated most of his wealth during those 20 years.  I skipped over a lot of that part of the book as the details of it don't interest me much.  

What was just as disappointing was that he barely mentions the minimal band activities during those 2 decades, and does not even mention the two albums released in 1987 and 1991.  I happen to think "Don't Day Goodbye" is better than any album after Ghosts released up to that point, but Cousins is so stuck on "Deep Cuts" as being a great album.  It's like he was ashamed of those albums or sees them as not even a footnote.

He has always skirted around the religious issue but clearly that is an important part of who he is and also has contributed to some of his most authentic songs, like the ones you mention as well as "A Glimpse of Heaven" and, even recently, "When the Spirit Moves".

On the subject of the album, at least the streaming version plays well several times through due to its diversity.  There are several tracks where Cousins' voice is rather detracting, in this case the softer numbers.  On "Ferryman's Curse", Tsangarides kept it from ever reaching this stage, but of course he is 3 years older and of advanced age, so we will never know if the late Chris could have still helped.  Yes the vocal on the "Ferryman's Curse" track is dire but that is mostly the fault of the song, while in the new album all the songs are good but his voice fails in several.  Oh well!

Yes, I have a problem with weak vocals, even giving the artist the benefit of his age. I disparaged over the vocals of 70+ year old Gary Brooker in a PA review I did of Procol Harum's last studio album, which really annoyed the admins of one of Procol's official album sites. They actually reprinted the entire review instead of just ignoring it. To be fair, the review was not one of my better ones, so they had a right to be annoyed! LOL But I really don't know how to balance that one when an artist's vocals were so much a part of the musicality of their songs. A tough one that I'll continue to grapple with, I'm afraid.

Edited by SteveG - March 11 2021 at 07:27
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 07:48
I think it's hard for a singer to admit that their voice is weakening and it's hard for people around them to be honest with them as well.  It's a rare voice like John Ford's who sounds as good at 70 as he did at 23
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 08:03

I think it's hard for a singer to admit that their voice is weakening and it's hard for people around them to be honest with them as well.  It's a rare voice like John Ford's who sounds as good at 70 as he did at 23
Or Roy Harper or Richard Thompson, who always sound the same. Even Dave Lambert's is pretty close to how he used to sound. Just a little deeper. Some just stay the same while others just deteriorate.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 18:43
Ok, got the CD and listened to it twice. My first impression is thiat it's good but doesn't come close to as good as The Ferryman's Curse, which to me, is almost a 5 star album. There's nothing on it as clever as The Nails From The Hands Of Christ or as majestic as When The Spirt Moves. The album also lacks the dynamics of The Ferryman's Curse, but that may be down to it's hodge podge piecemeal home recordings cobbled together by Blue Weaver, and not the loss of Tsangerades as producer. But it does have great clarity as a trade off. More thoughts will be forthcoming, naturally. Stay tuned.

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2021 at 20:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 09:20
I think that's all true, Steve.  It's the clarity that I noticed right away, but I doubt there will be anything as huge as those 2 tracks when all is said and done.  Also, the bonus tracks are not at the level of the rest of the album.  "Champion Jack" is the best of the 3 but Cousins' voice is lacking and it only really takes off in the last couple of minutes.   But the remaining tracks seem more consistent to me, as I wasn't a fan of "Ten Commandments" or the title track from Ferryman.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 10:34
Just did another listen and I'm struck by the haunting slow burn of these songs as they do grow on me. And it's really cool to have another Strawbs album after all these years. Something that also struck me about Settlement is that it's not a deliberate throwback to past albums in order to satisfy old fans, regardless of how much Banbridge channels John Hawken and Rick Wakeman. It is it's own beast, which I do appreciate.

Edited by SteveG - March 13 2021 at 11:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 13:04
Hug

Like I said, I much prefer Bainbridge's work here, much more in Strawbs tradition.  I suspect it's because he had less input to the arrangements and clearly had a minor hand in the songwriting.

Have you noticed the similarity between the title track and "Here Today Gone Tomorrow" from Deja Fou?  I think I prefer the new one slighlty

Edited by kenethlevine - March 13 2021 at 13:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 13:17
I heard "We Are Everyone," today and quite liked it, I have a CD on the way.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 13:28

Hug

Like I said, I much prefer Bainbridge's work here, much more in Strawbs tradition.  I suspect it's because he had less input to the arrangements and clearly had a minor hand in the songwriting.

Have you noticed the similarity between the title track and "Here Today Gone Tomorrow" from Deja Fou?  I think I prefer the new one slighlty
I didn't notice the samilarity as there's so much to take in but I'm sure you're right. The title track has the strangest chord voicings I've ever heard but I like it!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 15:06
Ok, I've ignored the bonus tracks up until now, and they are hard to take. How to reconcile these tracks in a review is going to be tough. Lol.

Edited by SteveG - March 13 2021 at 15:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 18:46
^ you could base the review just on the non bonus tracks, but then you have to factor in that it's only a 39 minute album.  Smile,  It's weird that the last song, sung by Cronk, seems to be well liked even by critics that aren't big into the album, but it doesn't do anything for me, at least not yet.  But "Better Days" is truly dreadful.  When Strawbs try to do Brazilian, rather than reflecting their eclectic interests it sounds like a parody

Edited by kenethlevine - March 13 2021 at 18:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>