Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deep purple suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SiiGull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep purple suggestions
    Posted: December 05 2020 at 23:42
I've heard that deep purple is considered to be a semi-prog band from many sources, how ever the only definitive prog song I can I say know of theirs is Child in time. Do ya'll know what other songs they have in the prog roster?
Epic Prog moment
SiiGull View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiiGull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 23:46
Also, this might be a bit off topic, but according to youtube, November rain is considered prog, what do ya'll think of that?
Epic Prog moment
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 01:15
Originally posted by SiiGull SiiGull wrote:

Also, this might be a bit off topic, but according to youtube, November rain is considered prog, what do ya'll think of that?

that's nonsense, but that's youtube comments for you. 

Have you ever listened to the Rod Evans era albums of Deep Purple? 

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 02:02

I've heard that deep purple is considered to be a semi-prog band from many sources, how ever the only definitive prog song I can I say know of theirs is Child in time. Do ya'll know what other songs they have in the prog roster?

Having listened to every album by Deep Purple recently, I'd say The Book of Taliesyn is the only Deep Purple album that comes close to being a bona fide prog album, and I'd agree that Child in Time is the definitive Deep Purple prog anthem. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 06 2020 at 02:44
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 08:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Having listened to every album by Deep Purple recently, I'd say The Book of Taliesyn is the only Deep Purple album that comes close to being a bona fide prog album, and I'd agree that Child in Time is the definitive Deep Purple prog anthem. Thumbs Up

I agree...Clap
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:15
Shades may not be the most "prog", but had a huge hand in "progressing rock music". Lord's incorporation of orchestral epics into existing pop songs was epic. Using Scheherazade to make an otherwise unlistenable Cream song a borderline masterpiece was absolutely brilliant.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:47
Buy Made in Japan and call it a day. No need to go further. Extended versions of every song that are better than the studio releases, and in addition to the proggy "Child in Time", listen to the 19:54 "Space Truckin'" with quotes from Holst and Dvorak.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 10:01
^ Yes, the extended organ solo that comes after Space Truckin ends is the best, and most creative keyboard solo you will find in the world of rock music, prog or otherwise.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 11:21
how about "April" from their self-titled 1969 album?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 12:16
As several have already said 'Child In Time' which makes 'In Rock' probably their most interesting and 'proggy' lp...but as Elf said Made In Japan is all you really need since it contains their best tracks done live.
'April' as Jean said is an interesting one also...Deep Purple meets  Uriah Heep with some symphonic stuff.
Personally I have never thought of DP as prog but they are listed here on PA as proto prog .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 12:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

'April' as Jean said is an interesting one also...Deep Purple meets  Uriah Heep with some symphonic stuff.

Uriah Heep weren't a band yet in 1969 when DP was releasing their 3rd album. How could they influence Deep purple's April? Confused
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 14:35

Personally I have never thought of DP as prog but they are listed here on PA as proto prog .
And that would be correct sir.. 'Proto'...as in primitive...the beginnings of...relating to a precursor.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 15:15
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

And that would be correct sir.. 'Proto'...as in primitive...the beginnings of...relating to a precursor.

Thanks for the heads up........

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 05:30
Concerto For Group And Orchestra (especially the 1999 version). Gemini Suite - a similar idea.

Songs? Fools from Fireball.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:14
The first three don't get the love that the In Rock thru Machine Head run get, but after digging the band for 40 years, they're the albums I reach for when I want to hear Deep Purple.  I also have gotten back into the Who Do We... and Taste the Band LPs over the past few years after overplaying them as a kid. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 20:52
Those were the good old days singing along to Child in Time and I could actually reach all those high notes. 

In Rock was an amazing album for that reason alone and of course Speed King where i learned air guitar Tongue

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 10:57
Prog / psychedelic :)

Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 05:46
Originally posted by tigerfeet tigerfeet wrote:

and I could actually reach all those high notes.
Good lord. I think I would burst multiple blood vessels in my head if I even got close to reaching those high notes...

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Snareman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snareman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 13:37
Deep Purple as a prog band has very few similarities with Yes, Genesis and such. They are a progressive band for 3 reasons for me, they take heavy inspiration from Jazz and Classical, They are arguably the first heavy metal band and they often avoid normal song structures. They also are an early example if not the earliest example of keyboards being used in a metal setting. I’d recommend anyone In Rock and Machine Head as well as Made in Japan, which may be the best live album of all time.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 13:45
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

The first three don't get the love that the In Rock thru Machine Head run get, but after digging the band for 40 years, they're the albums I reach for when I want to hear Deep Purple.

Same here.

I sincerely appreciate their contributions to - the ideation and conceptualization phases of - proto-prog that lead to heavy prog along the way (which also developed into other prog genres). They didn't fully develop that genre (hence proto-prog) but what followed those 3 initial outputs was pretty damn good even for a prog head like me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>