Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let's Talk About Talk Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's Talk About Talk Talk
    Posted: December 06 2020 at 06:49
It seems The Party's Over for the Christmas festivities this year, hopefully for the first and The Last Time,  but Life's What You Make It and Happiness is Easy to find inside the magical world of the Internet, although it sometimes seems like we're Living in Another World in this strange Chinese Year of the Plague. Anyway, without Another Word being said on that particular subject, it's back to the music, and this Time, It's Time to Give It Up for Talk Talk! Have You Heard the News? Their music is much more than just light-hearted Synth-Pop. It's So Serious, especially when you listen to the lyrics of their thought-provoking songs. Their Mirror Man single bears no relation to the Human League song of the same name.  it's Such a Shame that Talk Talk don't have a wider audience, although it's good to see they're still popular here Today on ProgArchives.  Even if you have no Desire to listen to Talk Talk's earlier albums and you generally Hate Synth-Pop, there's a Wealth of great music to explore in Talk Talk's five-album musical Inheritance. Check out their two superlative later Post Rock albums:  Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. They're pure ear Candy! And finally, music means so much more to me than a simple song played on the radio. It's My Life!! Smile

All song titles in Red highlights by Talk Talk

Talk Talk's Albums

4 stars It's My Life (1984)
 3 stars Spirit of Eden (1988)
 2 stars Laughing Stock (1991)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 09 2021 at 16:11
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 06:56
The first song from the first album: The Party's Over:-

Talk Talk - Talk Talk

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 08:18
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The first song from the first album: The Party's Over:-

Talk Talk - Talk Talk

Got to be totally honest this youtube.com vid is the first and only time that. I`ve heard them and going off of this clip not gelling with the pop elements, so its a visit to youtube.com forME!   

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 08:25
So you've realised they're not a synth-pop band then? Wink

To be fair I once saw them supporting Duran Duran so they did start off like this. I'm not that familiar with their first 2 albums but the last 3 are brilliant, particularly Spirit of Eden which is the best thing ever committed to vinyl imo.

RIP Mark Hollis.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 08:28
Just listen to this and marvel at its brilliance. It's actually the studio version and they're miming btw.

Edited by chopper - December 06 2020 at 08:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 08:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

To be fair I once saw them supporting Duran Duran so they did start off like this. I'm not that familiar with their first 2 albums but the last 3 are brilliant, particularly Spirit of Eden which is the best thing ever committed to vinyl imo.

RIP Mark Hollis.

I like their first two Synth-Pop albums too, but Spirit of Eden is the only Talk Talk album I have on CD. I'd like to get hold of all five of their albums eventually though.

I had no idea Mark Hollis was no longer with us until now. Broken Heart
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:07

RIP Mark Hollis.

I like their first two Synth-Pop albums too, but Spirit of Eden is the only Talk Talk album I have on CD. I'd like to get hold of all five of their albums eventually though.

Sorry to break it to you like that, he died in Feb 2019.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:15

I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised that EMI didn't know what to do with this album and tried to get Hollis to make it more commercial, to his credit he refused. This just goes to show that the average A&R dept can't recognise genius when they hear it (and probably explains why they wouldn't let the EMI A&R dept in the studio whilst they were recording).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:52

Just listen to this and marvel at its brilliance. It's actually the studio version and they're miming btw.

That`s truly is a marvel at the brilliance...thanks for sharing  

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:53

RIP Mark Hollis.

Sorry to break it to you like that, he died in Feb 2019.

So sad a truly re-maker able talent... 

Music Is Live

<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 10:07
This is what it said about Talk Talk's critically-acclaimed Spirit of Eden album in the Guinness Rockopedia:-

"Amid its melancholic ebb and flow - a collision of Peter Green, John Coltrane, Miles Davis and The Velvet Underground - there were no album highlights. It was ALL great!" Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 06 2020 at 10:07
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 11:06

...particularly Spirit of Eden which is the best thing ever committed to vinyl imo.

RIP Mark Hollis.
I'd put Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock on a pretty high pedestal myself. SoE is for sure an epochal recording, one of the greatest. Mark Hollis's solo album from 1994 is also something any fan of late Talk Talk has to own.

Not quite on the same level, but the post-TT project of Lee Harris and Paul Webb, 'O'Rang, was also excellent and all three of their records make for very rewarding listening.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 11:53
The first 2 lp's reminded me a little of a different stylistic version of Avalon by Ferry and Roxy... but The Colour of Spring is my favorite by Hollis and the band....I quite like the next  two but Colour for me was a good mix of both accessible music and avant garde ideas. The latter two are excellent but went into early 'post rock'/ avant garde  minimalism....and I have to be in the mood to listen. It requires attention to the details...but will reward in the end.
From what I have read over the years he was troubled by his brothers death from heroin ( 'I Believe In You' is about that event) and wanted to be with family/children in his later years . I have read several short articles over the years but it's unclear what his 'short illness' (his managers comment) was before he passed on.
Been meaning to buy his solo lp for many years but never got around to it.
Thanks to 'Mascodagama' for mentioning ORang..had not heard of them.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 06 2020 at 11:54
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 16:41
I was a fan of the group at the beginning. They went in a proggier direction about the same time I did, in the mid-late 80s.
Excellent albums, all 5 of them, plus a nice live album from the Colour of Spring period.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 22:18
The DVD Live in Montreux is colossal ! Watching Give it Up gives me goosebumps every time. Talk (talk) about passion! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 03:32
I've been following Talk Talk from when I heard the "My Foolish Friend" single on the radio in 1983. Excellent song, seems almost unknown these days. I bought their first album and must say that I was rather underwhelmed, although it has two or three tracks I like, including the Talk Talk track itself. I'm not sure why but I thought from the beginning that they are a band to keep an eye on, and an ear of course. The second album has all these hits and annoying synthpop sound, but then some really supreme songwriting and surprises such as Renee and Call In The Nightboy. Speaking of which, the Montreux live performance of Call In The Nightboy is sensational, the whole gig is. Then came Colour of Spring, which may not be prog but is a truly fantastic album - the world hasn't heard many pop songs of the quality of Living In Another World or Life's What You Make it, and the album has very subtle moments and experimentation. My brother thinks this is the best album ever, and although we otherwise rarely agree on music, I'm with him that this is a masterpiece.

And then they managed to get even better. Spirit of Eden is stunningly innovative, and listening over the whole period, I like Laughing Stock even more (although I see why some rate it slightly lower). This band has truly been a revelation to me. I still love My Foolish Friend, and I don't know any other band who became better and better in this way, in such a short time, from synthpop sound with some unclear potential to top notch innovators. 

I also love Mark Hollis' solo album and I've got to say, for me personally, the best album out of the Talk Talk cricle is actually, together with Laughing Stock, .O.rang's Herd of Instinct, that's my sound! 

Great great band and undisputed members of my personal prog big 5.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 03:37
^ You'll be able to vote for Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden album Today in the fourth Crossover Prog poll, if you so wish. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 07 2020 at 03:59
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 11:17
I love both ‘eras’ of the band but then again these past years I seem to have found a soft spot for a lot of well-written 80s pop music. The watershed album The Colour Of Spring has always been a personal fave much thanks to that one foot which is still planted in these effortless but never lighthearted melodies that the earlier albums were soaked in. The sudden shift with the infusion of more earthy instruments and sounds like fx the acoustic guitar and old school organs as well as the playfulness with tempi - often streching things out into these almost panoramic ebb and flow “riffs”...but hey that’s effectively the next album I’m describing which, beautifully captured by my friend, sounds like ‘music from an opium den’. The Colour Of Spring shows signs of this but to me sounds much more energetic and pulsing.
I’ve still to hear Hollis’ solo work but I intend to do so. The man was like a beautiful dove.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 07 2020 at 11:19
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 13:04
I'm a fan of new wave and post rock so therfore love all five albums. Why isn't this band listed as post here? They were The first

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 12:25
I talk talk all the time

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>