Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Social Commentary in Prog-Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 21:07
Yes used to excel at this.  "Don't Kill the Whale" is a prime example. 

Jon's latest social commentary is powerful music and commentary, doesn't get better than this! 

Edited by cstack3 - December 07 2020 at 21:08
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 23:28
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tbh, the social commentaries themselves do little for me. I've heard it all before in various guises of folk and folk rock. What I do like about it is that it forces the artists to create music as dramatic and moving as the lyrics. Just look at the usual suspects like Epitaph from KC and New World from the Strawbs. Moving songs that were custom made for the mellotron.

I agree; it also doesn't help that something novel, innovative, and unique is done with the stances on war, famine, corruption, money, etc. It's always the same sh*t over and over, we get it, bands LOL LOL.

"THIS WORLD'S NOT FOR LIVING! IT'S FOR FIGHTING! AND FOR WARS!"

Go sit down and have some tea, Jon, lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 01:28
^Well, maybe that's an indication that nothing's changed. It's still worthy when it's still relevant. If you're tired of it, guess we're all really to blame.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 06:32
^^ Maybe we need new ways to say the things that matter? That was (and hopefully still is) a prime motivation for Prog. Cliches & repetition aren´t that enjoyable, that's for sure.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 07:34
You want social commentary....it doesn't get any better than this and Mr Harper has been commenting from the beginning...
Stern Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 07:38
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

You want social commentary....it doesn't get any better than this and Mr Harper has been commenting from the beginning...
Stern Smile

Great song from a great album! One of favorites by Roy. He came a long way from "I Hate The White Man." LOL

Edited by SteveG - December 11 2020 at 12:40
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 17:25
Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging

Numerous Peter Gabriel solo tracks
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 21:35
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging

Numerous Peter Gabriel solo tracks

Not to mention Genesis epics such as "Get 'em out by Friday!"
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 04:43
^^ "A Wonderful Day in a One-Way World" may be a good example on Peter's side. Even Genesis after Gabriel have some pearls, like "Blood On The Rooftops"
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 07:41
People singing about what they think is wrong with the world is a bit like lobbying the profoundly deaf to effect change.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 08:14
just a whole bunch of Rush 80's songs , too many to list but anyway a few of my faves
Subdivisions
Tom Sawyer
Force Ten
The Big Money

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 10:41
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Pink Floyd’s music, specially the songs written by Roger Waters, have a high content of social commentaries, and as mentioned before, Jethro Tull’s music had a lot too, including criticisms to the religious influence on British society.

Zappa, Rush, Tull & Floyd are definitely carrying the medals - though not necessarily in that order.

I would add Supertramp with some heavy social commentary in their lyrics (both Davies & Hodgson)

Of course Genesis' Selling England is one hell of a social statement as well.

Edited by Sean Trane - December 12 2020 at 10:45
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 01:18

"We were born to serve your ALL OUR BLOODY LIVES"

I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12