Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rush and the Canadians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush and the Canadians
    Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:58
According to some sources, including Spotify, Rush is the third most popular 'prog' rock band here in Brazil, just behind Pink Floyd at first place and Supertramp at second. 

But what about Canada? Is it popular in Canada, like, would a Canadian youngster reply "yes" if he/she was asked about knowing a random song by Rush? Let's take Australia for example, the song "Down Under" by Men At Work is pretty popular among the Australian people.

I'm asking this because I'm doing a research about English-speaking countries, and of course, the cultural aspect is present as part of it. Being a huge fan of them, would love to read your opinions.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 11:00
After living in Canada for almost 10 years, I can easily say that Rush is quite popular here.  I'm an avid vinyl collector/trader/etc. and Rush is always an easy sell and you can fetch a lot of $$$ for excellent copies.  All of the reissues are selling quite well also according to my "new vinyl" sources.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 11:04
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

After living in Canada for almost 10 years, I can easily say that Rush is quite popular here.  I'm an avid vinyl collector/trader/etc. and Rush is always an easy sell and you can fetch a lot of $$$ for excellent copies.  All of the reissues are selling quite well also according to my "new vinyl" sources.
I’m glad to know they are recognized in their own land. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 12:31
From what I've read, they're about as popular in Canada as they are in the US, which is a lot. When you mention prog to people who only know a little about it, Rush usually comes up, pretty much all across the Americas.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 13:31
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I’m glad to know they are recognized in their own land. 

I agree....They also hold many accolades like:
  • Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • Rush has a 'first class' (for good reasons) Canadian stamp like the US forever stamp, using the starman logo
  • Also made Officers of the Order of Canada

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 14:45
Born and raised in the Great White North less than an hour from the origins of  the band I can say with absolute confidence they are known...and highly thought of. It's a generational thing, but they are probbaly the most popular Canadian rock band after The Guess Who.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 15:23
Yes, Rush are quite famous in their homeland. Unsurprisingly they were big there before anywhere else. I think most canadians at least know "Tom Sawyer" even if they aren't big Rush fans.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 15:24
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Born and raised in the Great White North less than an hour from the origins of  the band I can say with absolute confidence they are known...and highly thought of. It's a generational thing, but they are probbaly the most popular Canadian rock band after The Guess Who.

I don't see how The Guess Who could be considered more popular than Rush in Canada especially if we are going by album sales. Maybe among people who are a bit older but over all I seriously doubt it.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 06 2020 at 15:25
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 15:46
Some other big names in Canadian Rock:-

April Wine
Arcade Fire
Bachman Turner Overdrive
The Band
Barenaked Ladies
Blue Rodeo
Chiiliwack
Cowboy Junkies
The Guess Who
The Jeff Healey Band
Loverboy
Mahogany Rush
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Nickelback
Saga
Steppenwolf
The Tragically Hip
Triumph

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 07 2020 at 03:00
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 15:48
I can't say I'm familiar with how kids get exposed to music these days, but if they've spent any time listening to Canadian rock radio, they're bound to hear some Rush (as well as some other Canadian bands you rarely hear outside our borders). I went into the car of a younger university classmate (~20) and she was playing Permanent Waves from her phone, if that's any indication of what the average Canadian band geek these days might listen to.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 16:20
Paul, you forgot Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morissette, Gordon Lightfoot, Shania Twain and Celine Dion. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 16:44
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Paul, you forgot Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morissette, Gordon Lightfoot, Shania Twain and Celine Dion. ;)

That was just a list of Canadian bands - not solo artists. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 16:49
^Ok, fair enough. ;)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 16:50

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I don't see how The Guess Who could be considered more popular than Rush in Canada especially if we are going by album sales. Maybe among people who are a bit older but over all I seriously doubt it.

I believe that Gordon Lightfoot is more popular than both The Guess Who and Rush in Canada.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 16:59
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

That was just a list of Canadian bands - not solo artists. Wink

What, no Crash Test Dummies, Platinum Blonde or Toronto? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 17:10
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I don't know Crash Test Dummies, Platinum Blonde or Toronto. I only listed the Canadian bands I've heard of, without any help from Google. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 17:17

No Chiliwack, Max Webster or Klattu either. LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 06 2020 at 17:20
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 17:26
I'm Canadian and I don't know how popular Rush is in Canada overall across various demographics. It has been a staple here on rock radio stations (especially classic rock ones) and I would expect that most middle aged men into rock music would be more than passingly familiar with music by Rush in Canada, especially if they also listen to rock radio stations (Tom Sawyer in particular has been a staple of rotation in Canada, and we can find Canadian content guidelines for Canadian media which leads to more Canadian content being played).

Rush is popular in Canada, at least. I don't think it's as iconic as, say, Neil Young (he's as iconic as Molson beer and much tastier), but well-known none-the-less.

I would not say that the Guess Who is bigger than Rush, but I would suspect that many more people would know the song "American Woman" than "Tom Sawyer", even if they didn't know who wrote the song (A.W. is a radio staple and been used in other media quite a lot). Some, I expect, will have confused the Canadian The Guess Who with the British The Who and Doctor Who (as well as Abbot and Costello's Who's on First etc.), and some will have confused the Canadian band Rush with the American conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh. My friends got into the band Rush at the same time that they got into Rush, the isobutyl nitrite product that they would sniff (please don't ever try this -- it can lead to even worse headaches than hearing Geddy Lee caterwaul, and is even worse for your health). ;)   Half-kidding there. But seriously kids, say no to Rush -- the popper I mean; the band is optional.

I don't want to not mention Canada (aka the Great White North) and Geddy Lee without referring to this:

By the way, when I was a teenager I got into Rush (that was in the 80s), but mostly lost interest in the band subsequently. It did seem to mostly appeal to the stoners and auto mechanics crowd at my school (not that I was into auto mechanics). I mostly appreciate the Quebec (Francophone) Prog scene.
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 17:41

I know them! Pretty enjoyable folk group. "Superman Song" is their best song I believe.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 19:05
The Tragically Hip is another Canadian band that is a lot bigger up here than most places.  The lead singer passed away not too long ago.

Rush is so big in Canada that I've heard them played even in supermarkets.  In fact, I heard Jacob's Ladder just the other day in the local Foodland.  It was a pretty big deal up here when Peart passed away.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>