Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rush and the Canadians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 09:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Who cares about Rush in Canada! I want to know how popular they are in Kazakhstan! Clown

LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 09:59
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Let's not forget April Wine.

True dat, I have a couple of their albums on cassette........

Let's also not forget Red Rider, here in 'Merica known for their one-hit wonder Lunatic Fringe, great song!! I have a few of their albums also. I like their music, great 80's stuff.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 10:07
Then there is the London, Ontario-based progressive band "True Myth" that everyone (even Canadians) have forgotten about, even though their debut album was not bad.  However, they do have the honor of being the first ever album recorded digitally in Canada and the 3rd in the world (following Ry Cooder's "Bop til You Drop" and Stevie Wonder's "Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants").  They are in the Archives by the way.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Let's also not forget Red Rider, here in 'Merica known for their one-hit wonder Lunatic Fringe, great song!! I have a few of their albums also. I like their music, great 80's stuff.

Red Rider and Tom Cochrane's (the leader of Red Rider) solo work is all quite popular in Canada.  Cochrane had a pretty big hit by himself, more known in Canada than the US (even though I did know it before I moved to Canada) called "Life is a Highway"

Edited by TCat - December 07 2020 at 10:11

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 10:15
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Red Rider and Tom Cochrane's (the leader of Red Rider) solo work is all quite popular in Canada.  Cochrane had a pretty big hit by himself, more known in Canada than the US (even though I did know it before I moved to Canada) called "Life is a Highway"
That's a great song!! Forgot about Tom's solo efforts, I remember that video......That song is played a lot here in US.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 12:49
I remember when this thread was about Rush hehe.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 12:51
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I remember when this thread was about Rush hehe.

LOL

Canadians are the only ones who can help with this thread. Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

What, no Crash Test Dummies, Platinum Blonde or Toronto? LOL

Don't know about CTD's internal popularity, but Platimnum Blonde only had a local success (they started out as a The Police cover band) and Toronto's best-known moments was disputing Pat Benetar's You Better Run hit for authorship of the song. Interesting to see the links between them and Rose and Honeymoon Suite (the latter had a long career)

The video for their annoying song "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" was all over eMpTyVee in '93. That song was a big hit here in the States and in the UK & Oz. I guess it wasn't as big on their home turf.

I posted about Toronto's original version of "What About Love," which became a huge hit for Heart.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Canadian bands I know, besides Rush obviously are Saga, Annihilator, Devin Townsend, Mystery, Bolus, Borealis, GY!BE, Harmonium, Third Ion, Triumph, Universe Effects, Voivod. Big smile

Underrated thrash band. Their first three albums are great. They're not that good after that...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 15:22
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Paul, you forgot Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morissette, Gordon Lightfoot, Shania Twain and Celine Dion. ;)

Out of those bands I listed, you can probably Guess Who my favourite Canadian band are. Wink

The Guess Who? LOL Not sure what my list of mostly women has to do with it though. Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 15:48

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Paul, you forgot Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morissette, Gordon Lightfoot, Shania Twain and Celine Dion. ;)

Out of those bands I listed, you can probably Guess Who my favourite Canadian band are. Wink

The Guess Who? LOL Not sure what my list of mostly women has to do with it though. Wink
From your list, I'd choose Sarah McLachlan, seeing as I have six of her albums on CD. Smile
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 15:50
For the completists:

Lesser known but in PA : the amazing Rick Miller, Nathan Mahl, Huis, Hamadryad, Dean Watson, Antoine Fafard, Ken Baird, Maneige, Machines Dream, Red Sand, FM and Monarch Trail. 

In the rock world, you forgot BTO, Streetheart, Gowan, Heart (half US), Max Webster, Prism,Trooper and Rough Trade. 

Electro/other:  Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Moev, Men Without Hats, Delerium, Richie Hawtin, Intermix, Martha and the Muffins, Spoons, Strange Advance , the Payolas and Gino Vannelli . 

Surely missing a few others....

Edited by tszirmay - December 07 2020 at 15:58
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 15:55
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Who cares about Rush in Canada! I want to know how popular they are in Kazakhstan! Clown

Maybe Borat Sagdiyev can tell us how popular Rush are in Kazakhstan. Smile

jlneudorf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlneudorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:03
Lived here all my life. Rush are considered an instution here. They are loved here by many.
jlneudorf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlneudorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:05
Has anyone listed FM? A great Canadian band.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by jlneudorf jlneudorf wrote:

Lived here all my life. Rush are considered an instution here. They are loved here by many.

I've only ever known one Canadian guy who (still) doesn't like Rush!

I thought a Canadian could be deported for admitting that! LOL

Edited by verslibre - December 07 2020 at 16:19
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by jlneudorf jlneudorf wrote:

As they should be...Clap Welcome to PA!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:09
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

In the rock world, you forgot BTO, Streetheart, Gowan, Heart (half US), Max Webster, Prism,Trooper and Rough Trade.

Santers!

Lee Aaron!

(And I already mentioned Dalbello.)

jlneudorf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlneudorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:11
Thanks!
jlneudorf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlneudorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:12
Even my wife likes Rush...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>