Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rush and the Canadians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 06:06
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

For the completists:

Lesser known but in PA : the amazing Rick Miller, Nathan Mahl, Huis, Hamadryad, Dean Watson, Antoine Fafard, Ken Baird, Maneige, Machines Dream, Red Sand, FM and Monarch Trail. 

In the rock world, you forgot BTO, Streetheart, Gowan, Heart (half US), Max Webster, Prism,Trooper and Rough Trade. 

Electro/other:  Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Moev, Men Without Hats, Delerium, Richie Hawtin, Intermix, Martha and the Muffins, Spoons, Strange Advance , the Payolas and Gino Vannelli . 

Surely missing a few others....

A myth really (which I thought was real for decades)
Outside drummer Derosier, no-one else from the band was ever Canadian
The band was from Seattle and sometimes played in Vancouver, but that's +/- it (though they were quite popular in the GWN)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 06:17
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

For the completists:

Lesser known but in PA : the amazing Rick Miller, Nathan Mahl, Huis, Hamadryad, Dean Watson, Antoine Fafard, Ken Baird, Maneige, Machines Dream, Red Sand, FM and Monarch Trail. 

In the rock world, you forgot BTO, Streetheart, Gowan, Heart (half US), Max Webster, Prism,Trooper and Rough Trade. 

Electro/other:  Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Moev, Men Without Hats, Delerium, Richie Hawtin, Intermix, Martha and the Muffins, Spoons, Strange Advance , the Payolas and Gino Vannelli . 

Surely missing a few others....

A myth really (which I thought was real for decades)
Outside drummer Derosier, no-one else from the band was ever Canadian
The band was from Seattle and sometimes played in Vancouver, but that's +/- it (though they were quite popular in the GWN)

Quite right. I have no idea why Heart was referred to as half Canadian. Perhaps they were more popular in Canada before hitting it big.

Edited by SteveG - December 13 2020 at 06:17
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 12:46
While the founding members hail from the 'burbs around Seattle, the band known as Heart (formerly White Heart and, briefly, Hocus Pocus) recorded its debut Dreamboat Annie in Vancouver.

The band ended up in Vancouver because Mike Fisher, the brother of one of the band's guitarists, Roger, had fled there to evade being drafted and sent to Vietnam. Mike still snuck back down to visit family and friends, and Ann wanted something more with him.
Corcoranw687 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Corcoranw687 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 13:24
I would like to recommend Machines Dream, very good band from Canada. My hometown in fact.. Pink Floyd and Marillion comparisons but they are unique.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 13:44
Originally posted by Corcoranw687 Corcoranw687 wrote:

I would like to recommend Machines Dream, very good band from Canada. My hometown in fact.. Pink Floyd and Marillion comparisons but they are unique.

I love Machines Dream. (And I like Pink Floyd, too, though I’ve not yet heard a Marillion song I like.) They’ve got so much better with every release, too. I can’t wait to hear what’s next from them.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 17:33
Rush is the only band representing all of canada in progressive rock ,a one of a kind band to grace canada ,no other than fm and saga can come close.i am a 56 year old from ontario seen it all rush related.
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 07:10
The members of Rush have transcended to something a bit beyond just retired rock musicians here in Canada. Geddy is a regular occurence here on the streets Toronto, he's at all the ballgames and I hear stories frequently of folks bumping into him around the city. They are close to sainthood here. so much charity work that does not get a ton of press. My 15 year old ( a drummer ) only wears Rush shirts. Geddy's book was the # 1 best seller in Canada. They are still huge here. I play bass and I took my '77 black and white Rickenbacker in for some work and they asked if it was for sale ( no ) . Can't keep a black and white Rick bass in stock here for one reason only. - Geddy played one, 40 years ago. The song Subdivisions is all of us as teenagers. we were ( are ) all that kid growing up here in TO.
Please check out FM - 3 pc prog band that toured with Rush once and in my top 5 of favourite bands.

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 08:05
Originally posted by Umeda Umeda wrote:

According to some sources, including Spotify, Rush is the third most popular 'prog' rock band here in Brazil, just behind Pink Floyd at first place and Supertramp at second. 

But what about Canada? Is it popular in Canada, like, would a Canadian youngster reply "yes" if he/she was asked about knowing a random song by Rush? Let's take Australia for example, the song "Down Under" by Men At Work is pretty popular among the Australian people.

I'm asking this because I'm doing a research about English-speaking countries, and of course, the cultural aspect is present as part of it. Being a huge fan of them, would love to read your opinions.

Well, AC/DC are Aussies, but they're more popular in the U.S., U.K. and Canada and Brazil than they ever were in OZ Big smileTongue
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by Magmatt Magmatt wrote:

The members of Rush have transcended to something a bit beyond just retired rock musicians here in Canada. Geddy is a regular occurence here on the streets Toronto, he's at all the ballgames and I hear stories frequently of folks bumping into him around the city. They are close to sainthood here. so much charity work that does not get a ton of press. My 15 year old ( a drummer ) only wears Rush shirts. Geddy's book was the # 1 best seller in Canada. They are still huge here. I play bass and I took my '77 black and white Rickenbacker in for some work and they asked if it was for sale ( no ) . Can't keep a black and white Rick bass in stock here for one reason only. - Geddy played one, 40 years ago. The song Subdivisions is all of us as teenagers. we were ( are ) all that kid growing up here in TO.
Please check out FM - 3 pc prog band that toured with Rush once and in my top 5 of favourite bands.

Rickenbackers aren't cheap basses, period. You have a highly collectable bass there. It's worth some coin with or without the Geddy connection, which only makes it more desirable. Thumbs Up
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 23:28
Who else doesn't care for them at all.

Not Canadian, but if I was , still wouldn't like them
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 23:59
^ Me too!
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 04:40
Originally posted by ProcolWho? ProcolWho? wrote:

Who ??
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 09:58
Originally posted by Magmatt Magmatt wrote:

That's awesome!!! Clearly you know the value of the Rickenbacker, it's the provenance that is giving it some additional value but those are great sounding bass guitars, and your color does not hurt!

It is more than commonly known at how genuine the members of Rush are, the best compliment you can get is from your peers.
I am still not done reading the Rush Tourbook that came out last year, but pretty much every opening act, supporting act says the same thing about Rush and how they treated the support bands.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 10:26
Originally posted by ProcolWho? ProcolWho? wrote:

I'm guessing you're talking about Rush, or maybe The Guess Who, but either way, I prefer Procol Harum. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234