Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to deal with difficult members on here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 16:34
I have only been here in a couple of years, but it's my overall impression is that there is less cruelty and unpleasant commentary than on several other sites I have been part of. Most of what I read is civilized.

Edited by The Anders - December 09 2020 at 16:38
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 11:46
Ok, it happened again. I finally decided to report this guy this time. I sincerely hope the mods take care of it. Apparently it's not just me he's done it too. The guy is a real troll imo. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 11:55
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I have only been here in a couple of years, but it's my overall impression is that there is less cruelty and unpleasant commentary than on several other sites I have been part of. Most of what I read is civilized.

Yes, I would say 99.5 percent of the members on here are civilized but there are always going to be a few bad apples. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 09:13
Since the last incident where I reported the guy I have had no issues with him and he has not responded to anything I have said. That's good. Hopefully this person has learned a lesson and won't do it with anyone else either. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 09:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It depends on you and the particular situation.

Hi,

My bigger concern is when an "Admin" is involved and he also abuses the privilege and the situation, and when the post is "reported" he ends up seeing it and deletes the answers ... or equivalent.

While recently things have been, for me anyway, very civil and polite, in the past one of the tough issues is the lack of communication with the "Admin" and a decision made on ... nothing ... that really mattered and completely ignored the thread and its continuation, when it was obvious that the combat had started earlier ... and not by the person that ends up punished!

I do not wish to demean the position any at all ... it is a fair and valid position ... but it is my thought that some of the folks that are "there" are not good candidates for the position, specially considering how they continually post and vote for the same bands and songs, and more often than not spend their time "showing" how the person is "wrong" ... when (very specifically) history is not about right or wrong ... history was what it was and many of us saw different things.

Thus, the position would require a better understanding of most threads and posts, and a position that appreciates all of the posts, even if they are not about my "favorite" ... I'm not a ______ fan, but while I joke about it, I do not exactly put it down, since his history in music is not something to frown on ... we may think that it is this or that ... so what ... was Ozzie any different ... ohh yes, a cape, make up and a bat! Give it a break!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 09:46
Just report him, this is the best advice I can give you. This is how it works online.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It depends on you and the particular situation.

Hi,

My bigger concern is when an "Admin" is involved and he also abuses the privilege and the situation, and when the post is "reported" he ends up seeing it and deletes the answers ... or equivalent.

While recently things have been, for me anyway, very civil and polite, in the past one of the tough issues is the lack of communication with the "Admin" and a decision made on ... nothing ... that really mattered and completely ignored the thread and its continuation, when it was obvious that the combat had started earlier ... and not by the person that ends up punished!

I do not wish to demean the position any at all ... it is a fair and valid position ... but it is my thought that some of the folks that are "there" are not good candidates for the position, specially considering how they continually post and vote for the same bands and songs, and more often than not spend their time "showing" how the person is "wrong" ... when (very specifically) history is not about right or wrong ... history was what it was and many of us saw different things.

Thus, the position would require a better understanding of most threads and posts, and a position that appreciates all of the posts, even if they are not about my "favorite" ... I'm not a ______ fan, but while I joke about it, I do not exactly put it down, since his history in music is not something to frown on ... we may think that it is this or that ... so what ... was Ozzie any different ... ohh yes, a cape, make up and a bat! Give it a break!

Could you please give me specifics so I know exactly which situations and people you are referring to? If not about me specifically, then I would rather a PM, but I don't like insinuations or to see defamation of character. I don't want to make the wrong inferences and avoid insinuation. If you have a problem with any of the admin, consider PMing any of the admin, there are only three currently active (me, Keishiro and Tapfret) -- although please try to be succinct and direct with specific examples and links cause otherwise it can get confusing.... We often deal with a lot of stuff. so it helps to write formally in such situations (instead of being vague). It's best for us not to infer what the complaints are in these situations or risk over-generalising. We will try to give complaints and advice serious consideration. I deal with a lot of issues at PA via PM and then we can address specifics. We are volunteers and we are fallible, but having a team helps to get more perspectives. I know I've made mistakes,been heavy-handed at times and too lax at others and drawn the wrong conclusions, and have apologised for such things in the past. We all have our off days, some more than others. Humility, kindness, good-listening and patience is something that we all need to practice now and then (I mean people generally).

If you are referring to something I did, I won't be offended if you state that directly and tell me exactly what it was (and you may do so publicly, best to call me out at the time so I know the specific situation you are referring to and I can act ASAP without racking my brains and having to research).

We do hide posts commonly that break forum guidelines (go against the forum rules) and posts related to those. Of course we don't read every post so a lot may get through that may have been better hidden per the way that the forums have been moderated. Some of it is borderline and open to interpretation. Like, I might take something as an innocuous joke whereas another might take it as a serious insult (misinterpretation of intent can be easy).

PMing admin about any issues that come up can be a good approach, and there is something to be said for not airing one's dirty laundry in public or making insinuations which might be misconstrued.

By the way, I don't get the reports through the report post function so if trying to contact me the best way is via PM (that said, I don't log-in every day). When I have had issues with members I have often found that PMing them can help. Sometimes it does come down to a misunderstanding, and in some cases people really are just plain rude or irrational and there is no trying to communicate with them. Sometimes warnings are in order, and sometimes suspension if behavior continues and warnings if advice is unheeded.

Edited by Logan - December 30 2020 at 10:29
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:28

If you are referring to something I did ...
Hi,

Nope ... of all folks you are one of the finest I have ever been associated with, including your love and appreciation for films, and the probably the only one that won't make snide remarks about my comparing film, theater and music in the 60's, 70's and such ... 

But, it is in the past and water under the bridge and long gone to the ocean of eternity ... but I thank you for your concern and beauty.

Edited by moshkito - December 30 2020 at 10:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:28
I often think a lot of the misunderstandings are down to language. There are several times when I’ve seen someone react to someone else because they thought someone was being rude, when I think it was more because English was not the native language of either the original poster, and/or the one who reacted.

I also think it’s important to remember that in general offence is taken, rather than given. It’s very rare that I’ve seen, that someone has been deliberately offensive - and when it’s been deliberate, it’s been so obvious and overt as to be unmistakeable. Most of the time, though, I think several people I have witnessed have taken offence where none was intended.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:44
My advice is call them every offensive name you can conjure up, get banned from the site and then you won't have to worry about it any longer! Problem solved Embarrassed

(in case it's not obvious, i'm totally kidding of course!)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 11:25
^^ Thanks Pedro, I love that we both share a love of film, and I really do get a lot out of what you write. Some people seem to have very short attention spans and some just don't connect the dots like others do and make the same associations.

^^ I seem to agree with you Nick on most everything you post (it wont work reversely cause I post a lot of crap that I don't even agree with and will see if some of it sticks) -- I tried to respond to one of your posts yesterday, spent over an hour writing it and then felt it wasn't good enough so I didn't post it. With three more hours I could have edited it into something cohesive and of value. Some writers say, don't worry about the first draft, nobody reads it, it comes together better on subsequent ones, but when posting most of us are reading people's first drafts (and only draft except if one is here
a long time then one tends to repeat oneself again and again, not in quite the same words, but the song remains the same).

Language is surely an issue, and cultural differences, I think to an extent. And experiences. I might be referencing something in my post that another does not get. I use a lot of plays-on-words on my good days, and I don't usually point them out, and another might well miss the humorous intent. I also come from a place where it is common to rib each other. It's playful rather than mean-spirited. We make fun of ourselves and our friends at times. A good friend will understand that and play along.

And it comes down to individual personality, if one is distracted, if one is stressed, and if people aren't making the same associations. I've had many native English speakers totally misunderstand my intent. Many with English as a second language here I have found to be the most grokful (I love Stranger in a Strange Land) and nuanced of thinkers. It's the nuance, as well as plays on words, that can be hard for those not fluent in the language. Sometimes for all it's just plain careless reading, or not thinking it through before writing it down. Often that which one thinks is obvious and implied is totally missed, and instead it is thought that one is "saying" (writing more properly) something very different with very different intent. And sometimes people really are very loose with what they think others are saying and come to strange conclusions and very odd inferences (just miss the point completely).

We're not mind-readers, and we all can miss the other's point and intent. One should be careful with assumptions and if in doubt, maybe read it through a few times and try to think about it from different angles (then see which approach makes the most sense). That can be fun as it becomes like an intellectual game.

I like it when we can all be there for each other to try to clear up any potential misconceptions (PMs are for one-on-one conversations at the forum, the rest acts as group discussion where anyone can join in on a conversation if they have something relevant to say), to offer different interpretations and perspectives.

My thing commonly is that if what the other writes generally seems totally illogical or obviously wrong, I'm probably just not being sensible enough when it comes to figuring out what they that person is trying to convey (maybe not making the right associations) so I won't quickly assume that what they are writing comes from a fault in their thinking or a misinterpretation. So try to put in the strongest form possible that makes the most sense.

Often people miss out on the context, and that is often because they haven't read carefully enough through that post or by reading through a thread to see how it links to what others have been saying.

As my wife often tells me, think it through first before you speak, then consider not speaking at all. ;)

I think the answer to having genuinely good conversation (dialectic) is having more and more conversation, and going deeper. With patience and a little effort at trying to understand rather than quickly drawing assumptions and shooting from the hip, that can really help.

We have had members who were very thoughtless and obviously cared not about offending others through or being negative about others. Often offence is taken when none is intended, and too often people have been just plain surly and sarcastic, and seem to lack any empathy. Cultivating a sense of empathy and showing compassion is often a very important thing for me, and showing that we are actively interested and trying to be engaged with others. You often can tell when people are not really listening or paying attention or taking the time to read through a topic before responding. This can lead to a lot of misunderstandings. Misunderstandings can lead to a lot of offence. I think we all want to feel like we're understood, like people are getting us, and when people feel that they are not being understood, they might lash out in anger due to the frustration or evoke the unholy face palm (worse than any Alien face hugger).

We have to recognise that we all have different psyches and means of expression, lived experiences, and sometimes people are going through really hard times and that is reflected in the posts. I think one should try to be charitable in interpretation, and to steelman each other's ideas as much as possible rather than strawman when debating serious issues (that leads to stronger arguments and seems a better way to seek truth to me).

One does need a thick-skin, and even genuine insults can have their place.

^ That works. In at least once case I think that was someone's genuine strategy.

By the way, for me there used to be nothing more fun than not only watching but participating in flame wars, but for me it was all in fun. Others took it much more seriously.

Sorry, this is very long winded and all over the place and definitely could do with serval more drafts. And I actually don't expect people to read through when I ramble. I'm not a sadist. For some with English as a second language, even though I keep my word choice quite simple, it would be a nightmare to try to read and understand (I can be very incoherent when not formally writing).

Edited by Logan - December 30 2020 at 11:53
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 11:53
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

My advice is call them every offensive name you can conjure up, get banned from the site and then you won't have to worry about it any longer! Problem solved Embarrassed

Just drop the word "boomer," it'll instantly start a flame war 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 12:03
There are difficult members in virtually every forum; deal with it (rather/more than dealing with them).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 12:42
^^ Good point, one should avoid using the word boomer. Even though it's part of Gen Z or A meme culture, and is meant in humour mostly, some don't get it and see it as discourteous and ageist so please report it if you see it being used and we will ban said individual. ;) Seriously, avoid calling people boomers. Ageism is against the forum rules, and that it can easily be taken the wrong (or right) way is a good reason to avoid it. It may mean something different to different generations. Clarity should be a motto (at least I try to tell myself to be more clear).

Speaking of language issues, youth language vs. older peoples language. In my day gay just meant jolly, and ISIS was just an atmospheric post-metal band (sorry, that is in very bad taste).

^ The just deal with it rather than or more than dealing with them is generally good advice. In some cases we will expect one to reform or leave. But even generally agreeable people have bad days. Those not so agreeable people can bring out the worst in others.

The people who are negative about other people's negativity, those who will readily complain about others being unpleasant, are often the most difficult for me (I mean, they might actually expect me to, you know like do stuff about perceived sleights and genuine abuse). Some are much more sensitive than others. But then I guess I just have to suck it up and deal with it. In many cases it really is "your problem" more than the person you are having a problem with.

I'm always in two or three minds about such things -- one coming from the touchy feely delicate "snowflake" side and the other from my rougher, no-nonsense and slightly evil side and the other from general "Why give a phut?" side and no point complaining about it. While one shouldn't whine about it, and its important to try to take things in their side and not be overly sensitive, I'm not minimising the genuine distress some genuinely feel. Just don't expect sympathy.

Lots of us have offended someone along the way, and I'd posit that most anyone who has anything interesting to say will have even if it's just willing to discuss controversial and uncomfortable issues rather than being an arrogant jerk.

Perhaps "Thou shalt suffer no fool gladly" could be a forum edict (that would be most of us gone). I'm kidding, by the way. Probably not "If in doubt, kick them in the nads."

Edited by Logan - December 30 2020 at 12:53
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:02
Strung up, tarred and feathered then pummeled to death using Twinkies........
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 16:45

^^ Good point, one should avoid using the word boomer. Even though it's part of Gen Z or A meme culture, and is meant in humour mostly, some don't get it and see it as discourteous and ageist so please report it if you see it being used and we will ban said individual. ;) Seriously, avoid calling people boomers. Ageism is against the forum rules, and that it can easily be taken the wrong (or right) way is a good reason to avoid it. It may mean something different to different generations. Clarity should be a motto (at least I try to tell myself to be more clear).

Speaking of language issues, youth language vs. older peoples language. In my day gay just meant jolly, and ISIS was just an atmospheric post-metal band (sorry, that is in very bad taste).

I'd say that the word "boomer " (of which I don't consider myself of, since I am a tad too young to be part of) was ok for 95% of the public until the Febr Spring Break and those Fort lauderdale student parties named "boomer remover" at the start of the pandemic. I am rarely shocked (more often annoyed) but that one really irked me as a total lack of respect.
Sooo when DMcA used it (boomer), I kind of blew a fuse.

other than that I'd be happy to qualify as a booming curmudgeon or a curmudgeing boomer.Tongue Wink

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 18:05
Hugues, I've met you and hereby proclaim you as an honorary boomer with the right to take offense when others minimize and dismiss us by just referring to us as members of a maligned group which somehow explains away all our opinions and actions in their simplistic arguments.  We must reclaim that word!

Edited by kenethlevine - December 30 2020 at 18:05
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 18:11
See, flame war ^ told you

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 30 2020 at 18:11
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 18:30
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Just drop the word "boomer," it'll instantly start a flame war 

I can do better than that! I found the soundtrack for boomers. Here it is! LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 13:56
The troll is at it again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>