Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arc Of Life (New Supergroup)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arc Of Life (New Supergroup)
    Posted: December 07 2020 at 15:28
Featuring Jon Davidson, Billy Sherwood, Dave Kerzner, Jay Schellen and Jimmy Haun. Debut release scheduled for February 12, next year.

Source (in Spanish):
http://www.mellotronweb.com.ar
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 14:40
Thanks, you beat me to it! 

I presume this means that Yes is dead?   Hard to tell:

"Once the world gets over the COVID hump, ARC OF LIFE will be planning as much touring as we can fit in between YES and our other projects," Davison says. "Quite honestly, we're all chomping at the bit to be out performing again."

Edited by cstack3 - December 09 2020 at 14:57
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 18:10
There are so many present & former members of Yes out here, that I hope they manage to fix the old dinosaur and keep going!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 12:56
I heard a song from this album posted on FB and, though not really bad, it was just as underwhelming as most of the stuff in which Sherwood has been involved.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 13:02
Thanks for the info (and the link), but apart from being bit underwhelmed by the clip up there, I don't really understand what is "super" in this group. It is not a label I would apply to any of these musicians; they're good musicians, but "super"? No, not to my ears...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 14:02
If you're expecting Yes, just turn around now, this is like bad late career Asia lite. They immediately smack you with that annoying hook, i'm going to have to give this one a hard pass.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 14:21
I hope Billy Sherwood isn't the producer.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 14:22
I think some people throw that term around too much these days. It's equivalent to saying "From a band you may know that may have had another musician that was in a band you know."
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 18:34
Wiki: "A supergroup is a musical performing group whose members have successful solo careers, are members of other groups, or are well known in other musical professions"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergroup_(music)

Which is the case here...   
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 03:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks, you beat me to it! 

I presume this means that Yes is dead?   Hard to tell:

"Once the world gets over the COVID hump, ARC OF LIFE will be planning as much touring as we can fit in between YES and our other projects," Davison says. "Quite honestly, we're all chomping at the bit to be out performing again."

Isn't it clearly stated in this very quote that Yes will continue to run alongside this new band?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 04:21
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I heard a song from this album posted on FB and, though not really bad, it was just as underwhelming as most of the stuff in which Sherwood has been involved.

QFT! 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 05:18
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Wiki: "A supergroup is a musical performing group whose members have successful solo careers, are members of other groups, or are well known in other musical professions"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergroup_(music)

Which is the case here...   

Hehe, yes, but imo this definition lacks some precision. But, it is better to look at wikipedia than at Facebook or Youtube comments... My objection is that here they make you believe that once you have played in a group and form a new group with people that have also played in other groups before that you then have formed a "supergroup". That's a bit light, no?
Wiki's own wiktionary has already a more precise definition, but let's get to a real dictionary. Merriam-Webster e.g. (or Collins or Oxford, if you wish; their definitions are quite similar): "a rock group made up of prominent former members of other rock groups" or - even better (Oxford's) - "a very successful and very famous band that plays rock music, especially one whose members have already become famous in other bands."

Now, personally, I don't think any of these musicians are famous or have been a prominent member of Yes (or any other famous group). Maybe Sherwood thinks he now is a prominent Yes member, but imo he's not a member of the famous Yes and he hasn't become famous (yet.
In that article he doesn't seem to be a very modest person about what they are doing, I quote: "Sherwood describes the music as, “interesting, with well-crafted songs, performed with precision and grace. All songs feature memorable melodies and lyrics that take the listener on a sonic adventure. Dynamic arrangements with peaks and valleys... it's all there.” But well, he has to market the product and - fortunately - at least he himself is convinced about the quality of what they are going to deliver.

All that said, I really hope they are going to bring us something more original and adventurous than that average 80s pop-rock song they have put up as a teaser...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 07:45
The boys in the band

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 08:49
^I think I saw these guys in a Tarantino film.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 08:52
Kill Bill Sherwood Vol. 1
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 08:52
Isn't this more of a "Tribute Supergroup" rather than actual "Supergroup"? Guys that filled in for the actual superstars after the band broke up or peaked? Wink

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 28 2021 at 09:01
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 08:59
You meant supper group, right?
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 09:00
Dave Kerzner and Matt Dorsey's 'Sound of Contact' album 'Dimensionaut' was brilliant. Sadly nothing either of them has done since has matched up to it, so I won't hold my breath for this album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 15:54
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 15:28
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Dave Kerzner and Matt Dorsey's 'Sound of Contact' album 'Dimensionaut' was brilliant. Sadly nothing either of them has done since has matched up to it, so I won't hold my breath for this album.

Strongly disagree re Dave Kerzner.
Kerzner's New World is one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years. He is kinda the James Cameron of prog never going for a 'small' sound. From that album 'Nothing' is such a great song I can easily have that on endless repeat and never get tired of it.

Arc Of Life is not terrible but it's also a very long way from great. Early in the year prog albums can tend to be a bit dodgy and this is certainly one of them!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>