Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

About Seeing Poll Scores

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Seeing Poll Scores
    Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:05
Is it possible that seeing the score so far is affecting & biasing the voter's decission? I could go for an unvoted candidate, even not being my fave, just to support the underrated. Also, I could desist to vote, if I think the tendency so far is irreversible.
Not that these are necessarily bad things, but most likely are biasing poll results, and I think it deserves to be brought to forum's attention.
As an alternative, the option to see the score could be enabled just after voting, instead of being defaulted.
Just an idea, let's see opinions.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:14
It sounds like you don't think people are able to make decisions for themselves.
No matter, if someone wants to vote for any of the reasons you present, then have at it. that's their choice.
I personally don't see any reason for a change.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:16
I doubt that anything would get changed but it might be an idea to hide the voting scores until after you've placed your vote. I've just voted in a Yes poll on Twitter and that's what happened there.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:56
It seems to be a tight contest between freedom of choice on one hand, and accuracy of results on the other. Since this is more a matter of fun than a scientific quest, we might just pass accuracy, and enjoy the bias...    
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 11:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

It sounds like you don't think people are able to make decisions for themselves.
No matter, if someone wants to vote for any of the reasons you present, then have at it. that's their choice.
I personally don't see any reason for a change.

This, exactly.

Plus, those who don't/won't vote won't be able to see the results if the polls are done as suggested here, which seems unpleasant to me. I love Twitter, but not their polls. I'm asked who/what I like better, for instance. Sometimes I just want to see the results, sometimes I don't have any info about some of the poll options, sometimes I'm not sure etc. But, I can't see the results unless I vote for one. This is ludicrous. Imagine I'm asked whom I'm gonna vote for the American elections... Okay, they ask it to the Americans, but why can't I see its results? Because of this dumbness. No offence, but I see this type of polls as dumb; except for some technical and/or serious inquiries and stuff.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:48
Hi,

I'm not sure that it makes a difference ... as I do not participate in most polls, as I have a tendency to think that most of them are not well "researched" and "created".

All in all, keeping the score "hidden" will make you choose something likely because you really want to, as opposed to seeing all the folks voting for somebody and you do not want to be one of the couple of folks that went against it.

Weird ... but it's all fine with me ... since if a person has to be "told" and "see" what his choices (or results so far) are, he/she is not, more than likely, a really big fan of the music anyway! IF you are a fan, you would know what to vote for and the other options don't matter!

There is a side of "polls" that don't agree with me ... in the public/media area, it gives the idea that some things are happening in some places, and you know that yours is not one of them ... and a perfect example is the latest election, where the big cities carried one person, and look at the rest of the expanse of America ... they didn't!

Thus, for me, polls are ... just something that the media has created to help you buy something they want ... and the perfect example is all the products everywhere that say ... they are the top one or the best product in its class .... same for cars! AND, of course, the same for record company pushed music!

I would rather we ignored that stuff and made up our minds by listening and figuring it all out ... and forget all the crap around it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply