Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis: Calling All Stations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 04:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Peter Gabriel = David Lee Roth.

Phil Collins = Sammy Hagar.

Ray Wilson = Gary Cherone.

Accurate AF.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 07:47
I think the biggest WTF moment of this album was using Nick D'Virgilio as a metronome. Did Banks or Rutherford even listen to what NDV had done with Spock's Beard up to that point? He was the closest thing they had to a potential Phil Collins replacement.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I think the biggest WTF moment of this album was using Nick D'Virgilio as a metronome. Did Banks or Rutherford even listen to what NDV had done with Spock's Beard up to that point? He was the closest thing they had to a potential Phil Collins replacement.

just 4 songs though, I guess they treated him like a session musician. There was a second session drummer. 
Why didn't they use Chester Thompson? I wonder. 

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:34
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

just 4 songs though, I guess they treated him like a session musician. There was a second session drummer. 

Hmm could it be a Mr P Collins...Personnel its a huge  NO WTF ALBUM
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 09:12
You may be interested to know that all of the songs from the Calling All Stations album are listed as Ray Wilson songs on YouTube. Wink

Ray Wilson - Calling All Stations

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 09 2020 at 09:24
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

You may be interested to know that all of the songs from the Calling All Stations album are listed as Ray Wilson songs on YouTube. Wink

Ray Wilson - Calling All Stations

Well that's because this is him performing them as a solo artist.

As opposed to this - 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 11:36
^ Yes, that's it exactly, although it's hard to tell the two versions of each CAS song apart. Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Indeed they should have used Chester Thompson for drums... and Daryl Stuermer for guitars. And gotten Fish for vocals (I once read he was considered for the position, but I don't remember what happened about it).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 14:56
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Me: "You know what, I'm gonna listen to the entire album from start to finish. I'll be open-minded about this."

After listening to the album: "Cool, so I just inflicted a large amount of pain and discomfort upon myself and my day is ruined. I'm fine with this."

I did the same thing with ABACAB, which I never could stand, but hadn't heard in years.  Day ruined.  I'm not going to gamble with Calling All Stations either.  Life is too precious. 

These bands should have hired professional song writers/composers to help them.  The US band "Cheap Trick" was floundering, and then someone wrote the song "The Flame" for them, which became a huge hit stateside & brought them back to life.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 15:24
It's typically considered to be the worst Genesis album but I'm not so sure. I personally think it's rather underrated. I think the biggest problem with it is maybe the mixing and production but still I wouldn't call it a bad or even a mediocre album. It's good but not great. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 11 2020 at 15:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 15:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It's typically considered to be the worst Genesis album but I'm not so sure. I personally think it's rather underrated. I think the biggest problem with it is maybe the mixing and production but still I wouldn't call it a bad or even a mediocre album. It's good but not great. 

I agree, Calling All Stations is a good album, but no great shakes, and after listening to all of Genesis' albums recently, it's probably a better album than We Can't Dance, although that's no great recommendation either. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 20:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I agree, Calling All Stations is a good album, but no great shakes, and after listening to all of Genesis' albums recently, it's probably a better album than We Can't Dance, although that's no great recommendation either. Smile

True, but we can't dance at least has "fading lights" which is possibly the last real Genesis epic. I don't really hear any epics on COS. Of course that by itself doesn't make WCD better than COS though.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 14:55
WE CAN,T DANCE a much worse album than calling all stations as far as im concerned.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 14:59
Iīve always liked it and play it on occasion. Itīs not exactly a masterpiece like some of their other releases are, but itīs a decent pop/rock album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 15:01
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

WE CAN,T DANCE a much worse album than calling all stations as far as im concerned.
I Can Dance in tune with that point of view. Thumbs Up
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 15:12
I liked the album for what it was.  It seemed to me to be a cross between some of the stuff Mike had done with the Mechanics and Bankstatement.  One thing I found disappointing on the album was the lack of some real keyboard solos (There Must Be Some Other Way had a brief solo), nothing like Fading Lights or Duke's Travels or Second Home By The Sea.  But as a Mike & Tony 90s collaboration based on some of the stuff they had done solo, it was a pretty good album.  I never saw it as a grunge album or even a pure pop album.  Just 80s/90s AOR. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 17:13
Congo was the only song I remember hearing on the radio when this album first came out. I still think that's a good tune but I  don't think it's the only good one on the album. It's interesting that it's the only one that got much attention though and even wound up on one of the greatest hits albums. 
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 10:57
I agree with the consensus here that it was a HUGE mistake releasing CAS as a Genesis album. By doing that, expectations were set way too high for what otherwise is not a bad album. Not great, but not bad. Had there been a second album with Ray Wilson FULLY involved in the writing and arranging of the songs from the beginning they might have stood a chance. As it is now though, we can only speculate on what might have been. Another missed chance.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 11:16
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

I agree with the consensus here that it was a HUGE mistake releasing CAS as a Genesis album. By doing that, expectations were set way too high for what otherwise is not a bad album. Not great, but not bad. Had there been a second album with Ray Wilson FULLY involved in the writing and arranging of the songs from the beginning they might have stood a chance. As it is now though, we can only speculate on what might have been. Another missed chance.
You're right! Calling All Stations sounds much better if I don't think of it as a Genesis album. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 02:13
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

There's something comical about progarchives starting a thread on the worst, most bottom of the barrel, no semblance of prog, Genesis album rather than discussing some new and exciting prog releases. Anyways, anyone here check out the new Ocean Collective album? Pretty good stuff.

I'm hearing Calling All Stations in a whole new light after going out and buying the CD album for a grand total of Ģ1 from a charity shop recently. Now, it sounds like a reasonably good
 3-star album instead of a poor 2-star album, If That's What You Need to hear. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 23 2022 at 02:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>