Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis: Calling All Stations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 02:31
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

There's something comical about progarchives starting a thread on the worst, most bottom of the barrel, no semblance of prog, Genesis album rather than discussing some new and exciting prog releases. Anyways, anyone here check out the new Ocean Collective album? Pretty good stuff.

While I agree to what you say here, I still see no harm in us discussing Calling All Stations. 

Edited by Cristi - June 23 2022 at 02:31
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 03:38
Calling All Stations isn't even my least favorite Genesis album LOL
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 03:55
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I'm guessing We Can't Dance is your least favourite Genesis album, just as it is for me, where the album is only partially saved by the final 10-minute song, Fading Lights...

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 03:59
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I'm guessing We Can't Dance is your least favourite Genesis album, just as it is for me, where the album is only partially saved by the final 10-minute song, Fading Lights...

Nope! For me, it's From Genesis to Revelation. Sure, it has Peter on vocals, but to me that doesn't stop it from being a really half-baked album with way too much input from Jonathan King. Plus, it's aged horribly (though I suppose one could say the same about Stations as well...) 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 03:59
^ Dreaming While you Sleep and Driving the Last Spike are both excellent. Also a few of the op songs on the album are pretty good to - No Son of Mine, Tell Me Why, Hold on My Heart. 

Not a bad album. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 04:02
^ I love From Genesis to Revelation! That was my favourite Genesis album at one time, mainly for the Poptastic orchestral production by Jonathan King. Big smile

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 04:25

^ I love From Genesis to Revelation! That was my favourite Genesis album at one time, mainly for the Poptastic orchestral production by Jonathan King. Big smile

My answer was to you, but Brandan posted first. 
I'm talking about WCD, you Ermmabout FGTR... 

Edited by Cristi - June 23 2022 at 04:28
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 04:49
If I had this album as a setlist to perform on stage, I think I would be sniffing my armpits and putting on five more pairs of pants.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 05:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

...And my answer was to Necrotica, but you posted first. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 06:56

...And my answer was to Necrotica, but you posted first. Tongue

but my post was for you, a reaction to something you said. 
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 08:21
There's like 5 or 6 good songs in this album, which actually would be a nice 30~40 shorter one without all the fillers: Congo, Alien Afternoon, The Dividing Line, There must be some other way and One Man's Fool. 

The same goes for We Can't Dance album, IMO. My main criticism for CAS is how the drums are really devoid of life in most songs, with few exceptions such as The Dividing Line. Some of the b-sides of this album are interesting too.

Edited by Deadwing - June 23 2022 at 08:23
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 08:29
I think Rutherford and Banks only carried on because Genesis was being perceived as 'The Phil Collins Band' . Ironically carrying on only cemented that idea. Really they had enough money but their egos just made them carry on one album too far.  For me the last proper Genesis album was Abacab. It was a very patchy effort but at least they were actually trying something and not totally stagnating.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 08:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think Rutherford and Banks only carried on because Genesis was being perceived as 'The Phil Collins Band' . Ironically carrying on only cemented that idea. Really they had enough money but their egos just made them carry on one album too far.  For me the last proper Genesis album was Abacab. It was a very patchy effort but at least they were actually trying something and not totally stagnating.

true, but the s/t album from 1983 was also a proper Genesis album, a bit patchy as well, but to me a bit better put together than Abacab. 
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 16:27

I noticed in the credits for Calling All Stations that Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford were named as Anthony Banks and Michael Rutherford. It's almost as if they didn't want to be associated with the album, in the same way as Mike Oldfield distanced himself from his inferior Heaven's Open album by naming himself Michael Oldfield on the album cover. Smile

just checked the CD and it says Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks. I don't know what you mean. 

If you take a look at the credits at the end of the Shipwrecked video above, it says Anthony Banks and Michael Rutherford. Smile

I don't watch videos so...
They used their full names in the past, I don't think it because they want to detach themselves from the album. 

Right
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 07:04
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Peter Gabriel = David Lee Roth.

Phil Collins = Sammy Hagar.

Ray Wilson = Gary Cherone.

Accurate AF.
I agree, too. Never thought of that before, even tough I'm a big fan of both bands.

Does it mean that Peter Gabriel will come back and make one last album with Genesis (like DLR did with VH)? Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234