Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Apple Music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apple Music
    Posted: December 08 2020 at 17:17
Apple music has a surprisingly good Prog Rock catalogue (only recently getting labeled as prog rock). 

Apple's genre curator barely has a grasp of prog but they are getting better and I think they have way more prog then spotify. Clap

Are there other streaming services that have a better PR catalogue? 
Minus the h.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 17:55
I have a better PR catalog than all of them in my record bins in my music room.... Thumbs Up

I don't stream but suspect you can just chose what you wanna listen to, I thought that was the whole purpose, lazy way to listen to music.

When the Microsoft Zune Marketplace was still in existence, that easily had the best offering of prog, at the time only had iTunes to compare. I found tons of PR artists from all over on the Zune Marketplace, very obscure stuff too.
A las it is no more....Cry
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 19:32
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 21:17
Originally posted by Cord Change Cord Change wrote:

Apple music has a surprisingly good Prog Rock catalogue (only recently getting labeled as prog rock). 

Apple's genre curator barely has a grasp of prog but they are getting better and I think they have way more prog then spotify. Clap

Are there other streaming services that have a better PR catalogue? 

Hi,

I'm opposed to these conglomerates telling you what "prog rock" is ... these folks are not QUALIFIED to tell you anything except that they steal the money from bands as profits, and APPLE has been for many years, the biggest rip in the business, but it is the "darling" of the business because its advertising is in color when the rest is in black and white ... so to speak! Intel is too stupid to be intelligent and does not protect and maintain their best people (won't employ most of them!!!), and AMD is no different ... and Microsoft tries, and their product has improved, but I'm not sure that everyone of my generation is happy with not saving things in their own "house" instead of Microsoft's house.

I can understand that it will all become just a cloud in the future, but somewhere along the way, the consumer needs to have a say ... and APPLE has the user friendly advertising that the others are not able to have.

There is a reason why folks like The Beatles (with McCartney at the front) did not want their stuff on Apple ... they were/are collecting 99 cents per song ... and the bands were getting 1 or 2 or 3 cents for each song ... and if you were to break up that 99 cents, you would find that at least 80 cents of it is just PURE PROFIT and rip off ... and no one says anything!

Things like Apple Music and many other services out there, are the biggest enemies of what we consider "Progressive Rock" and all "Progressive Music" since the early days ... Apple couldn't careless about the music ... APPLE is all about the money and the representation of the hip American taking advantage of the rest of the people!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 14:53
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't stream but suspect you can just chose what you wanna listen to, I thought that was the whole purpose, lazy way to listen to music.

Yeah you can be lazy and not care what you're listening to, and you do get some okay suggestions sometimes but I mostly am looking for stuff. If you're saying it's lazy to not setup a turn table and do all that comes with it  then I think I am probably posting on a site that I share no opinions with. 

Apparently you aren't allowed to just listen to prog these days - you can only listen to it if you have it on vinyl, bought directly from the artist (record labels aren't a thing anymore anyway right?). 

Lets make LP's one play only, you have to buy a new record if you'd like to listen again. Clap

Edited by Cord Change - December 09 2020 at 14:54
Minus the h.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 16:32
I don't like streaming sites. They have their favorites they like to push on you and it tends to be the same songs too often, and too often they are songs I've heard too much of.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 08:46
Hi,

I wish there were more websites doing "shows" for new music, not just "progressive". 

In many ways, Guy Guden's show is the best of them all but these days, after 46 almost 47 years, he's no longer the experimentalist that he was, even though he still plays EASILY twice the amount of things that anyone else does, though many of them are not "progressive" by any standard, but it is really nice music all around.

Many of the other shows, are WAY TOO MUCH radio oriented and tend towards the small cuts and the things that are more recognizable and similar in any album they play. And to me, that is not worth it after the first 30 minutes, and the "format" is pretty obvious ... many of these folks have no idea how to put something together that helps us, the audience, get interested ... it becomes a bit too much of their favorite band!

The other thing, is the ability to work many artists into the show, and I remember many on Guy's shows, and the list is impressive, and also the lesser known ones making contributions to the show ... I think that one of the first was Robin Williamson, and what a far out and nifty interview that was with music talking about his new band, all of the players American to boot!

I did a show in 1999/2000 (The Space) and it went well, despite my only having 25 feeds available, and I enjoyed doing it, but these days, trying to get it done ... I'm not sure that I want to enter into a "competition" of what the music is, but with 50 years worth of music in the house, my variations would go a long way ... but I don't want, or like, doing ... "radio" ... and in my shows I did ARTISTS ... and of the many shows you would have at least an hour of a band, and these included, MAN, ROXY MUSIC, CARAVAN, GURU GURU, ANGE, BANCO, PFM and many others, and one show was all ECM, which was the variation upon a theme on "progressive" since the first 20 years of ECM STILL IS BY VERY FAR some of the best progressive music around without a stupid format!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply