1 [6.25%]
3 [18.75%]
1 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Six tracks from six 1996 albums
    Posted: December 10 2020 at 15:10
Six tracks from six 1996 albums (all included in Prog categories other than the Canny Stereolab). I've listed tracks in case people want to check out music, but if you want to vote for the album it's off, that's fine too

Art Zoyd - "Gates of Darkness 1" off Faust

Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy" off Sing to God

Current 93 - "The Bloodbells Chime" off All the Pretty Little Horses

Miriodor - "Le terrible naufrage du petit navire (The Little Ship's Terrible Wreck)" off Jongleries élastiques (wouldn't have been my first choice but it's the only one off the album that I found on youtube),

Stereolab - "Metronomic Underground" off Emperor Tomato Ketchup

Swans - "Helpless Child" off Soundtracks for the Blind

Edited by Logan - December 10 2020 at 15:12
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 17:07
Stereolab for sheer grooviness, although the Peel session of the same song on the ABC Music album is even better..!
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 17:09
Gates Of Darkness might just be my favorite AZ track. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 17:42
Wow! What a collection! I knew four of these (I have the Art Zoyd, Cardiacs, and Swans album and had heard the Stereolab track once), and I love them all. On that basis I expected big things from the other two and wasn't disappointed - Current 93 is excellent and the Miriodor track very good.

The honest vote goes to the flawless masterpiece that is Gates of Darkness, but it breaks my heart to vote against a most iconic Cardiacs track, and actually all four others would still be winners against so many potential competitors.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 06:20
Cardiacs. 

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 06:53
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Stereolab for sheer grooviness, although the Peel session of the same song on the ABC Music album is even better..!

I checked out that version, and it is very good. I've heard a couple of good live versions of it. The band came to Vancouver, my home town, a year ago as part of a tour, and they focused on the early groovy more Krautrock inspired albums. I missed the concert because it sold out quickly.

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Gates Of Darkness might just be my favorite AZ track. 

It's a good one. I love the album. "Gates of Darkness" is up there with "Épreuves d'acier" off the subsequent Haxan album and various others. I am so very, very fond of Art Zoyd -- top notch band for me. I was hoping you'd notice this topic and then expected that you would vote for that.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Wow! What a collection! I knew four of these (I have the Art Zoyd, Cardiacs, and Swans album and had heard the Stereolab track once), and I love them all. On that basis I expected big things from the other two and wasn't disappointed - Current 93 is excellent and the Miriodor track very good.

The honest vote goes to the flawless masterpiece that is Gates of Darkness, but it breaks my heart to vote against a most iconic Cardiacs track, and actually all four others would still be winners against so many potential competitors.

Now I know you also love Art Zoyd of course, but wasn't sure how you'd vote (now if it were Cardiacs' "Big Ship" (earlier material for those that don't know). So glad you enjoyed everything and checked out the material you didn't know. I think that Current 93 has a rather strange beauty to it. The ones featuring Nick Cave on the album are interesting too. Current 93 can get a bit samey, but then I could say the same thing about many acts that I like. As for the Miriodor, I love Miriodor and it was the first more modern Prog band I got into (second was U Totem), but unfortunately that wasn't the track I had wanted to go with as that is the only one available on youtube for that album that I found. I really dug the Samla Mannas Manna, Frank Zappa. Albert Marcœur. and certain Gentle Giantish vibes of Miriodor when I discovered it, and it has some of the carnival and Zolo aspects of Cardiacs.

Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Cardiacs.

"Dirty Boy" is the track that really got me into Cardiacs.

------------------------------------

Thanks to you all for taking the time to vote and comment. :)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 06:54
Swans.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 07:06
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Swans.

Glad to see that with a vote, thanks Manuel.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 11:07
Seems to be a promising selection, but two vids don't work for me...

This one for Current 93 does:

And for Swans:

Will listen to them tomorrow...

Edited by suitkees - December 11 2020 at 11:07

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 05:36
Very nice selection - all six are great tracks. I don't remember I ever heard something by Current 93 and I listened to Swans a very long time ago, but that didn't incite me (back then) to explore their music further. I very much like the other four bands, but with Stereolab and the Cardiacs (despite this really outstanding track) I have to be in the mood. Art Zoyd is a band I can always listen to and this is indeed a stand-out track, but based on these tracks (and not the albums) I will be voting for what is the good surprise to me, because of its subtleties and unsettling beauty: Current 93. This incites me to explore more of them...

Edited by suitkees - December 12 2020 at 05:39

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 16:49
^ Thanks so much Kees. Very glad you appreciated the selection. Current 93 can get a bit samey at times, but I very much like the 90s albums. The album I have most returned to is Thunder Perfect Mind (a Comus vibe in various music). It can be quite gothic Neo-Folk and sometimes more traditional weirder, sometimes weirder, sometimes very dark... There's a lot of Current 93 that I haven;t explored. That is the track that I would favour from this selection today as it most fits my mood, and has the advantage of being a late (quite recent) discovery, so it's that much fresher to these ears.

Edited by Logan - December 12 2020 at 16:49
 Post Reply Post Reply