Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog that could pass as Christmas Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brittneyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog that could pass as Christmas Music
    Posted: December 12 2020 at 14:29
So it's that time of the year again. Families come together to create a festive atmosphere. Traditions dripping from the walls.

A lot of elbow grease is involved.

Cleanings.
Wrapping.
Cooking.
Decorating.

All to, if tradition decides, earbleed inducing croones.

What Prog can pass as Christmas Music, that one may slip in and enjoy uninterupted while dutifully peeling potatoes?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 14:47
Many things but one classic ...and Tull did an album of their songs they called 'The Christmas Album'.
www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3625

Edited by dr wu23 - December 12 2020 at 14:51
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 15:05
Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas
brittneyspike View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittneyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 15:07
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Many things but one classic ...and Tull did an album of their songs they called 'The Christmas Album'.
www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3625

Thank you.

I have in the past tried to slide this one, which in my mind should fit the theme (and I just love it), in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LGhw3qS0Gg

It's never been a restounding success

Edit - and now im confused on how to properly tag videos

Edited by brittneyspike - December 12 2020 at 15:10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 15:07
But even though they did some Xmas songs can Tull or Lake's tunes  really pass as prog rock...?
Wink
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 15:11
A band I like that has a very medieval folk sound that works well at Christmas imho....

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 15:15
This Tull track is on the Tull Christmas lp..
click on 'insert movie' from the task bar above the blank field and copy and paste the url into the box provided

Haquin
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittneyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 15:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I don't think this qualifies as prog, and in my mind explosives are reserved for New Years Eve

Thank you to Dr Wu for the fine instructions

Edited by brittneyspike - December 12 2020 at 15:29
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 15:30
The December People released an album awhile back where they play traditional Christmas songs in the style of different prog bands.  I can't remember all of the styles, but I know that they included Yes and Kansas.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 15:31
Let's be real. There are no real prog Christmas songs by well known prog artists but these posted songs are close as we'll ever get. And Father Christmas by Lake is a great song.

Edited by SteveG - December 12 2020 at 15:35
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 16:07
I know it might sound strange but I used to think of "closer to the heart" by Rush as an almost christmas kind of song because of the bells in it. Also, "blood on the rooftops" by Genesis because of the line "we always watch the queen on Christmas day."
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brittneyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Let's be real. There are no real prog Christmas songs by well known prog artists but these posted songs are close as we'll ever get. And Father Christmas by Lake is a great song.

Last point first - pretty regular song - a few chords, standard harmonies, not much going on in the rythm section.It's a more or less a standad christmas pop song, however well done it is.

And to the first, I'm not asking for Christmas songs as such, necessarely, I just want to peel potatoes, which should take 12-15 minutes, with a song playing that isn't all of a sudden shut off or replaced, by rarely seen (and frankly not that loved) family member in vicinity of the music playing control device, due to said songs purported incompatability with the musical dogma of this Jolly Season.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 16:12
The Moody Blues - Don't Need a Reindeer

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 16:18
Originally posted by brittneyspike brittneyspike wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I don't think this qualifies as prog...
Although I Believe in Father Christmas isn't a prog song as such, it's on ELP's proggy Works 2 album. Wink
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittneyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 16:50
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I know it might sound strange but I used to think of "closer to the heart" by Rush as an almost christmas kind of song because of the bells in it.

Now we're talking. For a little while - and actually arthritic uncles reaction at 1:31 may not leave him time to shut it prematurely down before it ends. GOOOD.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Also, "blood on the rooftops" by Genesis because of the line "we always watch the queen on Christmas day."

Elevator music. We have regular houses, stairs included.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 16:55
Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 2 always puts me in the Christmas Spirit!  

I think Mr. Fripp borrowed the rhythm for LTIA Part 2 from this Krampus parade!! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittneyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 17:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The December People released an album awhile back where they play traditional Christmas songs in the style of different prog bands.  I can't remember all of the styles, but I know that they included Yes and Kansas.

LOL. Never heard of these - haven' found any of those you're thinking about yet, but White Christmas in a White Wedding style has some party potential.

NAIZ
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 17:15
The Trans Siberian Orchestra had a whole sackload of Christmas stocking-filler albums:-

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 17:16
^ EDIT: looks like someone already suggested this while I was typing.

I don't particularly like Trans Siberian Orchestra, but don't they do some neo-prog Christmas music such as Caol of the Bells etc.
Personally I like the dog bark version of Jingle Bells.

Edited by Easy Money - December 12 2020 at 17:20
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittneyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 17:32
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Getting there (but it would get shut down)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>