Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog that could pass as Christmas Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittneyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 17:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Moody Blues - Don't Need a Reindeer

Travelling Wilburys comes to mind. Nice progless song.

As such, disqualified.

Edited by brittneyspike - December 12 2020 at 17:43
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 20:34
Keith Emerson- The Christmas Album (He makes everything sound proggy)

Jon Anderson - 3Ships ('cause, well, it's Jon Anderson)

Jethro Tull - The Jethro Tull Christmas Album (see above)

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 20:38
Much harder to find Chanukkah prog. Chappy Chanukkah (say that five times fast, really clears the throat)!

P.S. When I was a kid, I was perplexed by the lack of well-known Chanukkah songs, so my dad wrote Bruce Bruce the Hanukkah Moose. It started off as a simple rhyming song, and turned into a children's book, featuring a CD with narration and singing from my dad and yours truly (at 8 years old). Not prog though, more folk-singer klezmer.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 20:40
Nektar - Magic is a Child
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 21:06
Originally posted by brittneyspike brittneyspike wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I know it might sound strange but I used to think of "closer to the heart" by Rush as an almost christmas kind of song because of the bells in it.

Now we're talking. For a little while - and actually arthritic uncles reaction at 1:31 may not leave him time to shut it prematurely down before it ends. GOOOD.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Also, "blood on the rooftops" by Genesis because of the line "we always watch the queen on Christmas day."

Elevator music. We have regular houses, stairs included.

In no way is that elevator music. You must be thinking of "your own special way." Wink
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 21:21
A Christmas Camel by Procol Harum sounds Christmas-like.

I mean...calling it prog is a stretch, but ya know, it's Procol Harum, so I'm mentioning it.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 21:22
There's always A PROGGY CHRISTMAS - THE PROG WORLD ORCHESTRA if you like Neal Morse and Transatlantic.

Joy to the WorldCarol of the Bells are both pretty cool !
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 23:33
Captain Beefheart - Old Fart At Play (the imagery used describing momma in the kitchen with lard and a rolling pin, gorgeous gingham, dust n dough balls...)

Frank Zappa - Inca Roads (Dukes' mellotron solo and Ruth's vibraphone parts have an undeniable holiday feel to them IMHO)

Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo (Title track sounds like something you'd have on in the background at the Christmas Day family gathering, everyone hustling around and preparing, family lounging and chatting, etc. - it's the mood and tone it sets!).

Basically anything brass-heavy or bell heavy lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 00:01
I think Pendragon have a nostalgic, optimistic energy that would perfectly suit a Christmas song if they ever did one.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 00:33
Magma - Hortz Fur Dëhn Santa Klaus Blasquiz

Seriously, can’t think of much. Magma KA III has an Allëhlüïa chorus, and the album KA can be quite joyous, and some of the Magma music is joyous for Christmas. I’ve played Magma’s Dondai To an eternal love) on Christmas and it is a marmite track off quite a marmite album.

I’ve also played Comus on Christmas. “Winter is a Coloured Bird” is quite apt for the season.

EDIT: I think a lot of Canterbury Scene music and Prog Folk is good for Christmas. Agree with Gryphon. Caravan's Winter Wine has some season flair to it. And Art Bears' Winter Songs in the RIOish camp.

Edited by Logan - December 13 2020 at 14:18
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 01:53
It's more of a general winter song than specifically a Christmas song, but I managed to have "Snowbound" by Genesis put on a Christmas playlist by fooling friends into thinking that it's just a cozy song about a snowman.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 04:10
Originally posted by brittneyspike brittneyspike wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Let's be real. There are no real prog Christmas songs by well known prog artists but these posted songs are close as we'll ever get. And Father Christmas by Lake is a great song.

Last point first - pretty regular song - a few chords, standard harmonies, not much going on in the rythm section.It's a more or less a standad christmas pop song, however well done it is.

And to the first, I'm not asking for Christmas songs as such, necessarely, I just want to peel potatoes, which should take 12-15 minutes, with a song playing that isn't all of a sudden shut off or replaced, by rarely seen (and frankly not that loved) family member in vicinity of the music playing control device, due to said songs purported incompatability with the musical dogma of this Jolly Season.
First off, I said that it wasn't a prog song. Secondly, it's the lyrics and melody that make the song, not it's lack of complexity. And, thirdly, if you're looking for a 15 + minute Christmas song to peel potatoes with, you'd better skip this holiday and concentrate on New Years.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 04:35
Last Christmas (...oh, that makes me think of a song...) Pallas issued a digital only collection of "Christmassy mixes" on their bandcamp page: Christmas on the Edge of Time

With two or three songs you got your potatoes pealed...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 06:15
Holy Lamb - Yes

Although the song is at Big Generator which is doubtfully a prog album.
yet you still have time!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 07:36
I always thought it odd that Alex Lifeson did this one instead of Neil Peart, but...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 07:42
Yes had one stab at a Christmas song.  I like it...I know that most don't.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 08:22
Although "A Christmas Song" is my favorite from Tull, this one may be more proggy, complete with several signature changes:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 12:57
Run With the Fox - Squire and White
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 18:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Trans Siberian Orchestra had a whole sackload of Christmas stocking-filler albums:-

Not all of these are Christmas, but they all have the same bombastic sound.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 18:28
Strawbs have a whole bunch, none better than this

though this more recent one is pretty good too

and then this one from 1980, though I prefer the version from 1991, which I can't find on youtube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>