Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog that could pass as Christmas Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 21:18
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Much harder to find Chanukkah prog. Chappy Chanukkah (say that five times fast, really clears the throat)!

P.S. When I was a kid, I was perplexed by the lack of well-known Chanukkah songs, so my dad wrote Bruce Bruce the Hanukkah Moose. It started off as a simple rhyming song, and turned into a children's book, featuring a CD with narration and singing from my dad and yours truly (at 8 years old). Not prog though, more folk-singer klezmer.

Happy Chanukkah to you! Clap  

Here's a Happy Hanukkah song by the amazing Klezmatics!!  (I love klezmer music!) 

Edited by cstack3 - December 13 2020 at 23:09
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 00:24
C'mon guys everyone knows (!) the first prog Xmas album ever released was by Horslips back in 1975 called Drive The Cold Winter Away...maybe!

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 01:52
Originally posted by brittneyspike brittneyspike wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The December People released an album awhile back where they play traditional Christmas songs in the style of different prog bands.  I can't remember all of the styles, but I know that they included Yes and Kansas.

LOL. Never heard of these - haven' found any of those you're thinking about yet, but White Christmas in a White Wedding style has some party potential.

NAIZ

This album.

Robert Berry put it together. Steve Walsh and John Wetton guest vocals. A full song by Kansas even.

Edited by mathman0806 - December 14 2020 at 01:53
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 01:57
And in style of Rush.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 11:09
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Much harder to find Chanukkah prog. Chappy Chanukkah (say that five times fast, really clears the throat)!

P.S. When I was a kid, I was perplexed by the lack of well-known Chanukkah songs, so my dad wrote Bruce Bruce the Hanukkah Moose. It started off as a simple rhyming song, and turned into a children's book, featuring a CD with narration and singing from my dad and yours truly (at 8 years old). Not prog though, more folk-singer klezmer.

Happy Chanukkah to you! Clap  

Here's a Happy Hanukkah song by the amazing Klezmatics!!  (I love klezmer music!) 

Love the muted trumpet!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 12:57
Hmm. It looks like the OP took his recipe for potatoes au gratin and left the building. Shocked
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 07:14
For Christ's Sake!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 11:21
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 11:43
I once made a mix tape that included a lot of prog and related artists:

A Winters Tale - Jade Warrior
A Christmas Song, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow, Jack-In-The-Green, Ring Out Solstice Bells, Fires at Midnight, Another Christmas Song, Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day - Jethro Tull
One Misty Moisty Morning - Steeleye Span
A Song for All Seasons - Renaissance
Song of White - Vangelis

Yes, a lot of Tull. All of these were from the original recordings; I made this tape years before the Tull Christmas Album came out. Bruce Cockburn, John Lennon, and the Pretenders round out the tape. We could argue that most of these are less Christmas than they are Winter, but that line has been blurred long ago. As long as it matches the season, it is acceptable to me, especially since I am tired of hearing the same 15 songs over and over again.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 12:00
The December people albums are good but they are pure prog christmas albums. I'm not sure that's what the OP is looking for. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 14:00
Hamburger Concerto, from Focus. The choir near the end is supposed to tell a passage from a traditional dutch chirstmas song...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 15:29
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Hamburger Concerto, from Focus. The choir near the end is supposed to tell a passage from a traditional dutch chirstmas song...

Excellent suggestion, thank you Dellinger!  Finally, something new!!

We go through this exercise EVERY Yuletide, and it's always Greg Lake & "I Believe in Bloody Father Christmas!!"  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 07:34
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

C'mon guys everyone knows (!) the first prog Xmas album ever released was by Horslips back in 1975 called Drive The Cold Winter Away...maybe!

Holy Virgin, Batman. I forgot about this gem. I will be playing it later today.

Edited by SteveG - December 16 2020 at 07:34
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 07:44
Or........
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 08:09
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Run With the Fox - Squire and White

I Am The Manic Whale have done a good version of this on their recent Christmas selection box release.

I also have to mention the Kate Bush album 50 Words for Snow, which is a bit proggy.
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 14:55

Liked the December People stuff.. unusual for me of that hybrid/cover albums. Maybe I'll take a look.

I'm sure is NOT what you're looking for LOL  but I cannot do without mentioning this beauty:

The Endless Engima, Pt. 2 
        by ELP.

Beacuse of its beautiful (prog & Christmas) bells at the start and its sheer overall progressiveness. It always makes me think of Christmas.

Each time I hear it I imagine something like this (not exactly, but an elegant image of red bells with a green tree on the background):

And a bit of humour as a bonus track : P

Merry Christmas btw  Beer
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 23:45
Is Trans-Siberian Orchestra considered eclectic folk Christmas prog? Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 07:56
Just come across this.....

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 12:19

This is probably the best example of this I can think of.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 12:48
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>