Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog that could pass as Christmas Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 12:53
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 13:18

Nobody mentions "La Sagrada Familia" by Alan Parsons Project

And have there chimes, choir, following the star, peace for lion and the lamb, the Holy Family. And mention of an architect who is close to be a saint.
yet you still have time!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 13:56
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Hamburger Concerto, from Focus. The choir near the end is supposed to tell a passage from a traditional dutch chirstmas song...

Excellent suggestion, thank you Dellinger!  Finally, something new!!

We go through this exercise EVERY Yuletide, and it's always Greg Lake & "I Believe in Bloody Father Christmas!!"  

Well, it's not the first year I suggest that one, since I found out about the supposed origin of those choirs.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 13:57
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

And have there chimes, choir, following the star, peace for lion and the lamb, the Holy Family. And mention of an architect who is close to be a saint.

What's Christmasy about that song? I never noticed such a thing... and I do love that song, actually.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 13:58

Holy Lamb - Yes

Although the song is at Big Generator which is doubtfully a prog album.

I checked the lyrics for this one and didn't find much of a Christmas connection either. Is there anything I might be missing?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 14:28
At least half of BG is prog or proggy:

Shoot high aim low
Holy Lamb (if wonderous stories is prog so is this)
I'm running
Final Eyes
Big Generator

The rest is admittedly rather poppy.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 14:31

Holy Lamb - Yes

I checked the lyrics for this one and didn't find much of a Christmas connection either. Is there anything I might be missing?

Holy Lamb was about the harmonic convergence which was the first global meditation and not about Christmas.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 18 2020 at 14:31
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Holy Lamb - Yes

Holy Lamb was about the harmonic convergence which was the first global meditation and not about Christmas.

My mistake, I was quoting extension written to Chris Hedges' book about Yes, written by polish journalist.
yet you still have time!
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 05:17

What's Christmasy about that song? I never noticed such a thing... and I do love that song, actually.

The elements that I mention that are typical of christian beliefs related to Christmas. Indirect, like allusion to new hope, the journey of the wise men. And an element direct, mention of the Holy Family (which "La Sagrada Familia" literally means in Spanish). After all, Christmas in tradition was not only about the winter solstice but also about the nativity of Christ. This song, indirectly, reminded me of catholic carols. 
yet you still have time!
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 05:27
Which is the greatest Prog Christmas album, the Tull one? What would you say?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 11:42

The elements that I mention that are typical of christian beliefs related to Christmas. Indirect, like allusion to new hope, the journey of the wise men. And an element direct, mention of the Holy Family (which "La Sagrada Familia" literally means in Spanish). After all, Christmas in tradition was not only about the winter solstice but also about the nativity of Christ. This song, indirectly, reminded me of catholic carols. 

I'm afraid I'm not catholic enough to know exactly what would be meant by the Holy Family... would it be the same as the Holy Trinity? However, what I get to understand about the mention of La Sagrada Familia, is not so much about it's concept for catholics, but about the Cathedral in Barcelona of the same name, and from which comes the name of the album, and which is explicitly mentioned at least in the opening narration, though perhaps not so clearly in the lyrics of the song itself.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 11:42
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Which is the greatest Prog Christmas album, the Tull one? What would you say?

I don't know so many Christmas albums, but yeah, I guess overall that's the one I have liked best so far.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 11:45

I'm afraid I'm not catholic enough to know exactly what would be meant by the Holy Family... would it be the same as the Holy Trinity? However, what I get to understand about the mention of La Sagrada Familia, is not so much about it's concept for catholics, but about the Cathedral in Barcelona of the same name, and from which comes the name of the album, and which is explicitly mentioned at least in the opening narration, though perhaps not so clearly in the lyrics of the song itself.

I've been to it. It's amazing.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 13:45

Don't worry, many of the catholics mix Holy Trinity (God, Son of God, Holy Spirit) with Holy Family (Jesus (Son of God), Mary and Saint Joseph). 
Well, in catholic tradition cathedrals were not just walls, but also earthly representation of Heaven, of Kingdom to Come. So I think the process of building of the said La Sagrada Familia church (it is not cathedral of Barcelona) can also be the metaphore of bringing the Heaven, the Kingdom to Come. This is also about Christmas because commemorating the first coming of Christ (in the past) in tradition it is also celebrating the future coming of the Christ (the Kingdom to Come). 
yet you still have time!
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 14:13
Not really "prog"... but it's in 15/16 !!

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 21:11
Blood on the rooftops---it does take place on Xmas day..".wont you stay?"

(PS--off topic--but always thought Big Gen was a better album than any other Yes west)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 19:36

Don't worry, many of the catholics mix Holy Trinity (God, Son of God, Holy Spirit) with Holy Family (Jesus (Son of God), Mary and Saint Joseph). 
Well, in catholic tradition cathedrals were not just walls, but also earthly representation of Heaven, of Kingdom to Come. So I think the process of building of the said La Sagrada Familia church (it is not cathedral of Barcelona) can also be the metaphore of bringing the Heaven, the Kingdom to Come. This is also about Christmas because commemorating the first coming of Christ (in the past) in tradition it is also celebrating the future coming of the Christ (the Kingdom to Come). 

Actually, I don't recall having heard the concept of the Holy Family before. As for the Cathedral thing, I got that impression about La Sagrada Familia because in the narration of the song itself they call it so, and haven't looked up so much about it otherwise (except for the pictures).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 20:32

Actually, I don't recall having heard the concept of the Holy Family before. As for the Cathedral thing, I got that impression about La Sagrada Familia because in the narration of the song itself they call it so, and haven't looked up so much about it otherwise (except for the pictures).

Every Catholic knows the concept of the Holy Family....Jesus, Mary and Joseph.***

***Take it from a Catholic School escapee.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 21:29

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Holy Lamb - Yes

My mistake, I was quoting extension written to Chris Hedges' book about Yes, written by polish journalist.

I don't know of a Chris Hedges book about Yes. There was a Chris Welch book and a Dan Hedges book(long out of print). Maybe you are conflating the two.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2020 at 00:01
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

Not really "prog"... but it's in 15/16 !!

LOL Clap

Right on par with my signature Mellotron down below!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - December 24 2020 at 00:01

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>