Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog "Surf"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog "Surf"?
    Posted: December 12 2020 at 19:05
Don't worry, I'm not trying to create a new subgenre here or suggest the induction of this band into PA. I just really enjoy Midnight Oil and realized their roots have their proggy moments? They are generally regarded as a surf band but their albums pre-"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" are different (in a good way). This would probably fall as a case similar to "Love Over Gold", but if I'm not wrong, I once read somewhere that they used to be a prog tribute band or something like that when they were named "Farm", but I'm not sure if this is actually true.

Anyway, check out this song from their self-titled debut, pretty interesting;

Not for rent. To any God or government.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 19:18
This Prog lounge is intended for general Prog discussions, and if talking about a band that is not in PA, then it should be in General Music Discussions, or if suggesting it then Suggest New Bands...

I guess a Prog surf topic could work in a Prog forum, but then it's better to focus on ones included in Prog categories.

This is the forum where the most misplaced topics go. People should read this:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13082

If there is anywhere else to put it, chances are that's a better place. Moved.

You might find this Prog Surf topic to be of interest in the Prog Recommendations/Featured albums topic: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113956

As for Midnight Oil, I was a big fan and found that album quite proggy. While I wouldn't suggest Midnight Oil for Prog Related since that category operates in a certain way, but it does have music that falls into the prog related universe for me, and it is a band that appeals to many into Prog.
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 05:20
Thanks for the advice, and so sorry for the inconvenience, I'll take more care from now on. Thumbs Up

Well, even when they left this proggy style strongly aside for a more hard rock sound, they still managed to create their own identity and that's probably what makes them so special (some claim they sound a bit punk but I disagree).

And again, about their debut, the closing track is just lovely, it's also the longest.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 14:09
No problem in moving it. My explanation is a little long-winded; just been moving a lot of topics so it's meant for a general audience and happened to be done in this one.

Speaking of surf Prog, I've been thinking through a list of 1995 albums to make a poll on and was reminded of Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante which has some surf rock qualities (a very wacky mish-mash of styles).

Edited by Logan - December 13 2020 at 14:10
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 14:47
Doringo call their music prog surf. 😉

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 15:25
Originally posted by Umeda Umeda wrote:

Don't worry, I'm not trying to create a new subgenre here or suggest the induction of this band into PA. I just really enjoy Midnight Oil and realized their roots have their proggy moments? They are generally regarded as a surf band but their albums pre-"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" are different (in a good way). This would probably fall as a case similar to "Love Over Gold", but if I'm not wrong, I once read somewhere that they used to be a prog tribute band or something like that when they were named "Farm", but I'm not sure if this is actually true.

Anyway, check out this song from their self-titled debut, pretty interesting;

Midnight Oil are major Yes fans and love prog. Check out "Bus To Bondi" on the Oils first album. Pure prog.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 15:46
^ "Bus To Bondi" is a great song and could be placed in the Cardiacs sort of quirky post-punk vein.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 16:18
There was a band in the early 2000's called the Mermen who fit this category.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 16:40
This just popped into my head:

Edited by Logan - December 13 2020 at 16:41
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 16:40
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There was a band in the early 2000's called the Mermen who fit this category.

Great band. Mentioned in the link that Greg (Logan) posted. 

I should have put this one into the Interactive Poll #88 thread.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 06:51
Portions of a few songs have that surf feel emulating the obvious, such as Firth of Fifth's "A waterfall, his madrigal, an inland sea, his mystery."
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 10:26
Prog surf...and I think of King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard...although I’m not entirely sure I’d call them a prog band...tadah!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 10:42
Strange that nobody came up with this homage to the Beach Boys yet :

Marillion - Cannibal Surf Babe:

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
HigherPlaceToBe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HigherPlaceToBe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 02:31
Prog Surf? What about this?

Edited by HigherPlaceToBe - June 02 2022 at 02:37
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 09:52
Farmers Market is a Nowegian band that dabbles in this sort of thing. Their music is eclectic and even includes Klezmer rock. I find them to be one of the most entertaining bands of this century.
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 10:25
Prog Surf?

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 11:11
Love Beach! LOL
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2022 at 02:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No problem in moving it. My explanation is a little long-winded; just been moving a lot of topics so it's meant for a general audience and happened to be done in this one.

Speaking of surf Prog, I've been thinking through a list of 1995 albums to make a poll on and was reminded of Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante which has some surf rock qualities (a very wacky mish-mash of styles).

This is the Mr. Bungle track that I associate the most with surf rock:

Edited by Mirakaze - June 04 2022 at 02:11
 Post Reply Post Reply