Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Closing Topics/Threads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Closing Topics/Threads
    Posted: December 14 2020 at 08:12
Just noticed two threads in Just For Fun were closed and then 'renamed' and reopened anew.

1st - Why? Since he thread will most likely continue and the total pages will remain.
2nd - Can these closed Topics/Threads be renamed by the Admin who closes them as (Topic name) CLOSED?

Edited by JD - December 14 2020 at 08:18
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 08:18
the threads close automatically methinks
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 08:19
No, I'm pretty sure it has to be done manually.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Just noticed two threads in Just For Fun were closed and then 'renamed' and reopened anew.

1st - Why? Since he thread will most likely continue and the total pages will remain.
2nd - Can these closed Topics/Threads be renamed by the Admin who closes them as (Topic name) CLOSED?

I'm not sure if I totally understand your question, but admins can rename threads, and they can also close and reopen them.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 09:28
Topics do/have locked automatically after a certain period of inactivity (has some affect on server load apparently and space/storage and cost issues?) but threads are also locked by moderators/admin. If a thread goes on for however many pages (generally somewhere over 500 as I recall) they have gone all wonky in the past. This I have thought has something to do with the forum software, but I don't really know why this happens, but it has happened apparently, so new threads were opened and old ones locked (it's an issue with a long thread itself, not a series of threads, like a forum, or with an overall webboard that contains many threads/ topics).

Don't see why one would need or really want the necessary extra effort to rename it as closed, the locked icon tells one it's closed. I tend to avoid editing other people posts, which is what one would do to the original post if altering the title or if not a topic one started oneself. A great many JFF users have been around long enough and posted enough to know how it works anyway, so I would think that is an unnecessary step -- personally I wouldn't want to encourage people to use the JFF forum, but that's my bias. ;)

Edited by Logan - December 14 2020 at 09:37
Just a fanboy passin' through.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 09:41
That is my understanding as well. Though the previous "off at tangents" topic was closed after it had passed 1100 posts.

Methinks that maybe the forum software should be updated. A lot of fixes have been made since version 11.01 back in 2014: https://www.webwiz.net/web-wiz-forums/kb/release-notes.htm

I don't speak "asp" so I don't know which (or if any) of those fixes over the last six years would address a topic with too many posts.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 09:47
Yes, the forum is woefully out of date, and I don't know why it has not been updated. That is something that I would expect M@x or a skilled hired hand to handle in case there are some issues even if I could/ can do it. This is I believe is the free version that is running which may not be as easy to update or have some potential update risks and extra work involved (I sometimes find myself speculating about certain site issues...). M@x has made some forum changes over the past years, so I would guess "reasons".

Edited by Logan - December 14 2020 at 09:53
Just a fanboy passin' through.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 09:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

the locked icon tells one it's closed. ;)
Ah. I hadn't seen the lock icon. Took a bit but now I see it.
Thanks.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 16:41
Upon reading / posting in a big thread, the reaction of this website gets slower and heavier. This is the reason why we should exchange a newer one. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply