Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [55.56%]
4 [14.81%]
8 [29.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Spock's Beard frontman?
    Posted: December 18 2020 at 05:55
I would personally pick Neal over the other two, although SB have made some really strong albums in every incarnation!
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 05:56
Neal Morse
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 06:46
Hot take: Ted Leonard

Brief Nocturnes is the best Spock's Beard album. The songwriting and ideas there are executed so well, seriously a display of near mastery. Leonard is just such a better singer than Neal, i've never been a fan of NM's voice, it just doesn't fit the genre too well. The follow up The Oblivion Particle is great too, however I have to also give a nod to X with Nick on lead. As for Neal, also some super solid albums with the highlights being V, Snow Live and the Light.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 18 2020 at 06:47
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 06:58
Ted Leonard. He gave the band a new identity, and they have improve a lot in terms of their musical direction with him.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 07:01
Ted Leonard
one of my favorite vocalists. Big smile
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 08:04
Neal Morse of course. The soul of the band.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 08:29
On record? Neal.
Live? Nick.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 08:37
Voted Ted.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 09:26
Mr. Morse.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 09:46
Neal was of course the mastermind behind Spock's Beard best compositons. But, IMO Nick DiVirgilio had the best vocals.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 11:25
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Hot take: Ted Leonard

Brief Nocturnes is the best Spock's Beard album. The songwriting and ideas there are executed so well, seriously a display of near mastery. Leonard is just such a better singer than Neal, i've never been a fan of NM's voice, it just doesn't fit the genre too well. The follow up The Oblivion Particle is great too, however I have to also give a nod to X with Nick on lead. As for Neal, also some super solid albums with the highlights being V, Snow Live and the Light.

I agree that 'Nocturnes' is an unbelievable album. For me, however, it is on par with 'Snow' and 'V'.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 11:44
Leonard Nimoy. Ah, I meant Ted Leonard...oh, lets call the whole thing off. Wacko
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 14:12
In the order they appeared. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 14:34
Neal for me. I'm actually not very familiar with the later material but I have seen SB live post NM (only once with NM).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 18 2020 at 17:15
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 02:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Neal for me. I'm actually not very familiar with the later material but I have seen SB live post NM (only once with NM).

I would suggest the 2013 album as the best release post-Neal.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 12:11
Neal Morse.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 15:36
The Oblivion Particle is the best prog album in the last 20 years so my vote goes to Ted. My only misgivings and it's a small one is that the harmonies of the band don't work quite as well as when Neal was the front man of the band. I think Neal's voice is very underrated.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 03:03
Huh. I posted a thoughtful comment about why I chose Nick a day or two ago, but it didn't go through? 

Well, here it is again somewhat:

I think Nick is the best as both a singer and frontman because of the character he brings into his singing. Especially live. Ted initially sounds amazing, but upon further investigation, it seems to me he just gets by on having a high range and great vibrato control. He's a little too sterile. Nick has much more emotional dynamics in my opinion. And it just seems like he has more fun.

Check out Falling for Forever (liver version on YouTube), and you can see what I mean. The part where he takes lead is the most interesting performance in terms of character.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 07:59
Neal Morse
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 10:41
For me Morse...V is the best thing they ever did....and those first 5 are the only ones that matter for me.
Some nice things on a few of the later ones like X and Nocturnes but just dont have that same vibe.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>