Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you promote a prog album through memes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you promote a prog album through memes?
    Posted: December 18 2020 at 13:33
About a month ago I released my new album: Arcana (Act 1), which is the first prog album in 8D Audio.

To promote it we started making some memes and the argentine prog community reallly caugh on it and started posting their own memes about the album.

I translated some for your entertainment.

The question is: In this day and age, is it possible to promote a really weird ethnic progressive album in 8D Audio only through the power of memes????

In case you want to check the album out, here's the link:

Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 17:08
I Hate Meme s
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 17:16
Well, you can give it a go and see what happens. I personally feel you need more that one way to promote an album, but I don't want to discourage you in your efforts.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 17:46
If nothing else it is definitely a unique marketing strategy.
Although not many have a direct reference to you or your album that I can see, just the 8D audio thing.
You need a better marketing manager to get this over the finish line.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Sanmartinphase7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 17:57
Thanks!
You're right, of course.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 18:01
That's a good point.

It all started in facebook, and the description of the "meme" was always an invitation to listen to the actual "ethnic progressive in 8D Audio" album plus a link.

It's a fine balance: if the meme is too specific about the album then it's not that relatable and it gets fewer shares, but if it's too loosely related then it isn't actually promoting the album :S

On the argentine prog community, where this meme situation is currently happening, the terms "ethnic prog in 8D Audio" is completely related to the album and mostly everybody understands the reference, but outside that "shared language", is a different thing, like you're pointing out.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 23:58
These are pretty funny. Though I think you could do with describing more about your album than the fact that it's 8D. Though still brief.

Anyway, I hope it takes off! Happy proggin.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 00:15
I wish you well!  The advantages of a meme marketing approach includes low/minimal cost, ability to become viral in your fan and interested potential fan communities, freedom to ply a wide variety of social networking platforms, and so forth! 

Why not?  Give it a try....I wish you the best of luck!  Cheers, Charles!

p.s. the music is excellent by the way!!  I'm a fan!  Clap

Edited by cstack3 - December 19 2020 at 00:18
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 02:09
Internet memes: a pyramid scheme selling stupidity but its free. Good luck with the album (I anticipated some post modern knowing w.a.n.k frankly, but most of it sounds pretty damn niftyThumbs Up)

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 19 2020 at 02:12
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 02:19
Genius and totally applicable to today's culture, OP!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 09:28
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

These are pretty funny. Though I think you could do with describing more about your album than the fact that it's 8D. Though still brief.

Anyway, I hope it takes off! Happy proggin.

Thanks!!

Well, It's a concept album relating human history and music, so a few memes have come from that focus:

Those two are refering this song, which is based on a danish folk song:

There have been memes about the weirdness of the album as well, particulary focusing on the weird "world music" influences:

And, since the first tracks is 22 minutes long, the inevitable meme appeared as well (I though it really funny since its my actual picture with a filter):

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 09:32
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I wish you well!  The advantages of a meme marketing approach includes low/minimal cost, ability to become viral in your fan and interested potential fan communities, freedom to ply a wide variety of social networking platforms, and so forth! 

Why not?  Give it a try....I wish you the best of luck!  Cheers, Charles!

p.s. the music is excellent by the way!!  I'm a fan!  Clap

Thanks Charles!! I'm really gald you enjoyed the music :)

I agree with you. I think it will take a lot of hard work, but there's a good community providing support and fun memes.

I think this could have the potential to reach a younger audience as well, which I think is much needed in the prog genre (at least in the Argentine scene, which is the one I know well).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Internet memes: a pyramid scheme selling stupidity but its free. Good luck with the album (I anticipated some post modern knowing w.a.n.k frankly, but most of it sounds pretty damn niftyThumbs Up)

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the music!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Genius and totally applicable to today's culture, OP!

Thanks! :)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 21:58
Hi,

None of us knows what the future will require or keep, in terms of advertising and the way/attempt that you are trying to get some attention.

Social media, might have a say in all this, YET, but seeing how one person kinda used it for "nothing", and wasting people's time, might work against it yet ... but it does get some attention ... "you're fired!"

Hopefully, people will show a much better attitude, and much more intelligent about any of the arts ... which are suffering terribly with half their hands tied down. And things do not seem to be getting better a year later, and that is scary ... but hopefully it will pan out.

I'm not sure that slogans, or meme's are going to be the "ticket" ... but they are good for a while, but the problem is ... I think you become a satire upon your self ... and not taken seriously, which is counter what you hope to achieve. 

Again, no one really knows what will work or not, and we all could have ideas ... but I'm sure that Taylor Swift, Madonna and Miley think quite differently that we do ... as to how they get attention, even if it is just an old maid now, and two ... well they look nice, anyway!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 10:34
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

None of us knows what the future will require or keep, in terms of advertising and the way/attempt that you are trying to get some attention.

Social media, might have a say in all this, YET, but seeing how one person kinda used it for "nothing", and wasting people's time, might work against it yet ... but it does get some attention ... "you're fired!"

Hopefully, people will show a much better attitude, and much more intelligent about any of the arts ... which are suffering terribly with half their hands tied down. And things do not seem to be getting better a year later, and that is scary ... but hopefully it will pan out.

I'm not sure that slogans, or meme's are going to be the "ticket" ... but they are good for a while, but the problem is ... I think you become a satire upon your self ... and not taken seriously, which is counter what you hope to achieve. 

Again, no one really knows what will work or not, and we all could have ideas ... but I'm sure that Taylor Swift, Madonna and Miley think quite differently that we do ... as to how they get attention, even if it is just an old maid now, and two ... well they look nice, anyway!

That's a fair point.

I'm not afraid of a little self- satire. Even if most prog is dead serious, I think there is an important humor element even in classic prog.

The prog community is so used to the godly status of the big bands in the 70's and tend to forget how silly is a grown man running around the stage dressed as a flower singing about the apocalypse.

We take ourselves too seriously and I believe that attitude has a lot to do with the decline in "mainstream" popularity of the genre.

With this in mind, I'm part of The Astral Platypus: a parody prog supergroup of musicians from lots of bands from the argentine scene, where we made up a fake "60s/70s/80s band" and have been recording and releasing album that satirize certain musical cliches from those periods, for a few years now.
We even made up fake musician characters and have a web series narrating the story of this fake band.

But the music is real and it's dead serious!

Coming back to the Arcana memes: becoming a satire of myself is a risk, you're right. So far the memes don't make fun of the music itself, but rather how uncommercial it is. It's taking advantage of the album's main promotional weakness and turning it into an asset. We'll see how it works out :)
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 21:47
The way I do things, I'd probably end up with memes like this:

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 02:55
^Jon Anderson? Is that you?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 05:42
I don't know, but your album is very good. Maybe your best up to now.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanmartinphase7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 08:40
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I don't know, but your album is very good. Maybe your best up to now.

Thanks!! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>