Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CD but no LP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CD but no LP
    Posted: December 18 2020 at 17:53
So I got to wondering today if, during the CD heyday, any artists released an album on CD that never had a Vinyl release.

So here's my question.

What CD only release deserves an LP format?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 20:22
Regarding progressive rock, or artists in general?

Is Guthrie Govan Erotic Cakes available on vinyl? For some reason that's the first thing I thought of LOL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 21:13
I'm not sure. There was probably a period between say the mid 90's and mid 2000's though when a lot of artists put out cds but not vinyl. I can't think of any specific examples though.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 21:56
Staring in the late 80s and all through the 90s and the first part of this century most musical artists put out CDs only.
Barnes and Noble for example re-introduced record bins just a few years ago.

EDIT: reflecting on my own album collection, some artists did continue to put out LPs, but most did not.

Edited by Easy Money - December 18 2020 at 21:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 22:10
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Staring in the late 80s and all through the 90s and the first part of this century most musical artists put out CDs only.
Barnes and Noble for example re-introduced record bins just a few years ago.

EDIT: reflecting on my own album collection, some artists did continue to put out LPs, but most did not.

Late 80's? That early? Could be. I remember in early 1989 I heard on the radio(on a progressive radio show) about this band that was at the time unknown to me called Crack the Sky. I remember asking the local record store if they had their latest album called "from the greenhouse" on cd but they only had it on vinyl and had to special order it for me on cd. This was around February of 1989. I would imagine soon after that vinyl took a serious nosedive although I don't think it ever totally went away. I just think it became this hipster thing for a while. Now it seems to be more than just hipsters into it. Just recently vinyl has surpassed cds for the first time in about thirty years or something. I still don't think cds are as dead as some people think they are though. It's just that now cds are what vinyl was in the 90's (which is kind of ironic if you think about it). 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 22:14
^ I was going by memory as best I could. I tried to look up more specific information on the internet but couldn't find it.
My best reference was that when Bill Laswell put out 'Hallucination Engine" it did not come out on LP. That was the first time that I remember an album I wanted not being available on LP. Give me a second and I will look up the date on that LP.

But, the change was not all of a sudden of course, over time fewer and fewer artists were putting out LPs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 22:18
Just looked it up, Hallucination Engine did not come out until 1994, so I would guess LPs were still happening a little later than I thought.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 23:18
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So I got to wondering today if, during the CD heyday, any artists released an album on CD that never had a Vinyl release.

So here's my question.

Plenty.  Even today, independent artists may offer a CD version but opt out of an LP pressing.  The LP fad is recent.  Mid 90s to noughties, it was all CD.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 23:24

Just looked it up, Hallucination Engine did not come out until 1994, so I would guess LPs were still happening a little later than I thought.

Yeah, that sounds about right. As you said before there were exceptions but a lot of bands stopped doing vinyl altogether. I remember working in the music department of a store in late 1994 and the latest Pearl Jam album called VS came out on vinyl but it was this special limited edition kind of thing. The store sold very little vinyl at all aside from that one. So if I were to guess I would say that by 1992 most bands had stopped doing vinyl. It's hard to say because not all bands stopped doing it entirely. It was probably a decision made more by the record companies than by the bands themselves. Many bands still sell cds at their shows and some even still sell cassette tapes.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 18 2020 at 23:28
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 06:05
Frankly, I don’t know. It seems there was a time when CDs were the format, and many artists didn’t bother to release their music in any other format. when the LP nostalgia began, then things got different.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 06:27
I was too lazy to search Discogs by title to review release info but looks like that might be my best bet. I've been culling my CD collection and I keep wondering, 'Is this on LP?'

CD's have a very low resale value, so a CD only or limited release might have a better market price.

So that raises a second question...

Why don't CD's have a similar value as LP's, even more recent releases?

I'm guessing the following factors:
-Mass production (for the most part)
-Durability (things that can wear out quicker (LP's) are more valuable if kept safe)
-Hipness
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 06:50
^Add nostalgia factor as well and..well yatzy!
There does seem to be a ‘reverence’ to LPs that wholly escapes CDs. You have to handle your LP with a somewhat ‘white-gloved approach’ in order to be able to play it again the month after.

Speaking personally here but I also find that LPs generally are a better way of approaching music for the youngins out there. Compared to other platforms where skipping a track, shuffle feature and playlists are easy as pie...with LPs you learn to listen to albums all the way through...unless of course you’re one of those rare nutcases that can’t leave the turntable alone for more than a minute or so (just stop it!).
I certainly learned to appreciate albums over tunes back when my parents only had a turntable. This way of listening to music also opens up to far more music. You hear all the stuff that isn’t wellknown or played to death over the radio. Most folks I know that stream their music often tend to listen to the same tracks over and over again. CD’s require physical movement when you want a different album so is in fact a tad more troublesome for the eclectic track-shuffling connoisseur..yet I still witness grown men fighting over which track supposedly is the rightfull successor to the one playing...most oftenly requiring a change of cd
Curiously enough I mostly buy CDs. I live in a very poorly soundproofed apartment so I mostly listen to music over my headphones...and while I find the small cracks and pops part of the charm of LPs over my speakers, it’s just too much over the cans.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 19 2020 at 06:52
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 07:48

So here's my question.

Hi,

None.

It's a matter of time, and the LP thing will die off.

SOAPBOX 31A: (Please stop here and go home otherwise! Wink)

There is a lot to be said about recording ... BEFORE DIGITAL ... mostly because the microphone being in front of something, like the amplifier, the drums and so on, always had an added percent or two of the ambience around it, like waves inside the bass drum, which would add a different sound than the current digital setup.

As time goes by, a lot of these small details will get improved and the DIGITAL sound will also improve ... but let's not forget that most folks are hearing very cheap mp3's and have no idea what the FLAC and other high level digital platforms sound like ... so a lot of this argument is way too sentimental for my tastes.

The only LP's I DO NOT wish to let go of, are the ones that are not on CD yet, and for some reason probably will NEVER be on CD, which is not a good way to represent, or remember the music at all.

I'm just disappointed that we continue thinking that an LP is better, and it isn't ... besides the fact that I have been getting rid of my LP's because at 70, 2K of those things are heavy and a pain to carry around ... and then the turntable makers these days, only supply crap ... with the over rated price for one particular turntable that is not worth the money ... it doesn't even have a proper hard cover ... !!! Oh ... don't forget the crappy cartridge ... which in many ways is the biggest difference of all that made the LP's sound better. I did this with a cheap stylus and a Stanton EEE back in 1978, when I first got my ESS HEIL AMT1 and I remember the difference. The $250 dollars spent in 1978 for that cartridge made the music way better ... it wasn't the LP. ALSO, do not forget (great example!!!) that the English versions of Sgt Peppers, Their Majesty's Blah, DSOTM ... were vastly superior to the American versions which were copied from some cassette in a dumpster somewhere, and not as clean and clear as the remix/remasters have made these things be.

I think that understand/knowing a bit of this history will tell you a lot more about the music ... keep listening to the crappy mp3's and one day you will find that you wasted your money!

Edited by moshkito - December 19 2020 at 07:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 07:53

I was too lazy to search Discogs by title to review release info but looks like that might be my best bet. I've been culling my CD collection and I keep wondering, 'Is this on LP?'

CD's have a very low resale value, so a CD only or limited release might have a better market price.

-Durability (things that can wear out quicker (LP's) are more valuable if kept safe)
-Hipness
I would say three things make LPs more expensive than CDs:
1) Clever music marketing people have made the LP cool again.
2) LPs probably cost more to produce.
3) A lot of people think LPs sound better. To my ears LPs sound better on a lot of music, but when it comes to modern digitally produced electronic music, CDs sound fine. To my ears, older acoustic music that was recorded on analog equipment sounds better on LP.
For instance, digitally reproduced string sections have always sounded like a digital sample of strings to me. Owning a sampler and using it gave me a clearer idea of what digitally reproduced sounds sound like.

Edited by Easy Money - December 19 2020 at 07:56
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 07:57
I refer to Discogs a lot and these stood out to me recently from VdGG:

https://www.discogs.com/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Present/master/33433
https://www.discogs.com/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Trisector/master/425834

There will probably be LPs of these some time I imagine, though I doubt Psychedelic Paul will ne buying Present lol 
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 08:13

3) A lot of people think LPs sound better. To my ears LPs sound better on a lot of music, but when it comes to modern digitally produced electronic music, CDs sound fine. To my ears, older acoustic music that was recorded on analog equipment sounds better on LP.

Hi,

It only sounds better because in the old days, a microphone in front of an instrument (think orchestra specially !!!!!!) would also pick up a certain percentage of waves from around them, which would also include other sounds ... to resolve this a famous conductor, decided to separate the portions of the orchestra completely so this would not be found. And it led to improving recording for an orchestra and kinda ending with the RED SEAL albums on RCA that were the top of the tops of the line in recording quality in the late 60's.

Acoustic will always sound better, just like it does LIVE. Because we hear the slight echo and distortions from the guitar with its hole in the middle which offers a vibration that digital can not exactly pick up directly.

I don't think that using "acoustic" is a great example, since almost nothing these days is recorded "acoustically" unless the concert is live, and then it's all digital anyway.

The whole analog thing will die out sooner than we think ... the costs is one issue, but the quality of the product is not guaranteed, and the LP's that my old room mate got (LZ, BS, Rush) WERE NOT AS GOOD as the CD's played on my system with the great speakers, and he felt cheated ... he spent money on a turntable and then used mine, and the sound, was a 100 miles apart as I still had my Pioneer 12D and the expensive cartridge I bought from Stanton in 1978. My thoughts were, at the time, that these LP's of old stuff were not taken from masters or high quality recordings ... they were simply "cleaned up", from a regular CD/album and the laugh was ... THE LISTENER WILL NEVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. Like you're gonna tell me next that Capitol, Columbia, Warner Bros ... never cheated the public and got away with the cheapest product they could to make more money.

For instance, digitally reproduced string sections have always sounded like a digital sample of strings to me. Owning a sampler and using it gave me a clearer idea of what digitally reproduced sounds sound like.

I wanted to mention ... I have the Jupiter 8V from Arturia and it sounds WAY  BETTER than the Jupiter 8 live in the studio or stage! But, it's really hard to tell people about this ... it's too eccentric a discussion and it WILL DISTORT the analog/digital thoughts we have.

And lest we forget ... many of those synths were even enhanced AFTER THE FACT on many recordings ... specially those with electronics up the yazoo. To give you a small idea, check out the special on the Klaus Schulze DVD with Lisa ... and what a good engineer can do for your music. That's the same DVD that has Steven Wilson talking to Klaus about music! It's worth having just for those 2 bits! But we don't even realize how far, someone like Alan Parsons can go to make a recording good! AND THAT'S DIGITAL!

Edited by moshkito - December 19 2020 at 08:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 08:21
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

I refer to Discogs a lot and these stood out to me recently from VdGG:

https://www.discogs.com/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Present/master/33433
https://www.discogs.com/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Trisector/master/425834

There will probably be LPs of these some time I imagine, though I doubt Psychedelic Paul will ne buying Present lol 

Hi,

Hmmmm ... I don't really see the need. I would rather see PH/VdGG live than waste the money on another LP!
www.pedrosena.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 09:08
Hmm of the top of my head. I cannot think of any musicians who released only Cds!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 11:02
AFAIAA, even in the later 90's, most bands (or labels anyways) wanting to sell in the UK kept pressing vinyls, because that's where the format never died and had die-hard fans in big enough numbers to make a difference and being heard.

Sooo, I don't think there are too many good albums that do not have an historical vinyl release (often UK-only). Probably much less than there are good albums that have never received a CD release

I remember seeing Floyd's TDB, RATM's debut album, PJ's Vitalogy, GYBE! albums in vinyls

-Hipness
I would say three things make LPs more expensive than CDs:
1) Clever music marketing people have made the LP cool again.
2) LPs probably cost more to produce.

Well,  the marketing's ploy is to exploit hipster's gullibility by having them buy a dozen of them a week, fill walls of their loft for decoration and speculation purposes, but will have never time to sit down and listen to a quarter of what they bought, simply because they haven't got the "physical time" (or interest) to do so.

Edited by Sean Trane - December 20 2020 at 01:50
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 11:29
Simon Says - Tardigrade was never released on Vinyl I think.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>