Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes' mind drive - a sign of whats to come...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes' mind drive - a sign of whats to come...
    Posted: December 20 2020 at 07:07
When my dad introduced me to Yes at the age of maybe 14, I was instantly hooked and when I was older, their song "mind drive" eventually became (one of) my favourites, in particular this version from "keys to ascension":

I remember asking my dad, what the album title means and he tried to explain, but I didnt really understand..

Now, almost 20 years later, I am going over the lyrics of mind drive again and am flloored:

They are pretty much singing about the very thing, that has become ever more relevant for me over the last few years... and now look at my nicname on this forum Wink

I now undersand, what the concept of "ascension" really means. And it is simply the most beautiful thing ever!

And the best thing: I know now, that it is actually a real thing! ..awaiting any one of us, who is willing to step fully into the light, transmute his own shadows and become whole again.

We are living in extraordinary times you guys and great things are awaiting us! 

Remember: it is always darkest before the dawn..

Hold on, just a little bit longer! It will all be fine! 💖

Edited by Mind_Drive - December 20 2020 at 07:37
It's just a ride... <3
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 08:43
Mind Drive was a great resurrection of the glory days of the classic band. It proved to me that with the right people in the band --they could still make great prog music. One of the sections comes from the XYZ jams--and your interpretation of the lyrics is very cool too.Thumbs Up
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 09:11
Thanks! Smile
It really is an outstanding song to me, with the one of the most fluffy parts of any song I know!
💖
It's just a ride... <3
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 13:39
I really like this song, and the message is quite inspiring, to say the least.
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 14:10
One of the favorite prog compositions. 
"Keys to Ascension" is very underrated work by Yes...
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 16:10
The Keys To Ascension are victim of bad decisions.

First bad decision was to mix live material (which is excellent in itself) with studio material. So both were inconsisent. 
The second, to split it into two separated double albums (and quite expensive to boot). 
As a result, instead of two good albums of classic lineup of Yes, the real reunion, we were somewhat disappointed.
And then Wakeman left and we got Open Your Eyes. 
yet you still have time!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 17:44
The only version I know is from KTA. ;)

The KTA albums were a nice way for the band to revisit and recapture the glory days of their distant past. If they kept doing albums like that(the studio stuff that is) though they might have pleased many of their long term fans but they would be guilty of doing what Jethro Tull might call "living in the past" and as such the music would be regressive and not progressive. It would be pino (prog in name only). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 20 2020 at 17:45
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 18:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The KTA albums were a nice way for the band to revisit and recapture the glory days of their distant past. If they kept doing albums like that(the studio stuff that is) though they might have pleased many of their long term fans but they would be guilty of doing what Jethro Tull might call "living in the past" and as such the music would be regressive and not progressive. It would be pino (prog in name only). 

But did Yes record more progressive records after KTA? I doubt it.
yet you still have time!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 18:42
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

After KTA they did the ladder, Magnification and Fly from here. I don't think Open Your Eyes qualifies as prog. Not sure about heaven and earth since I haven't heard it. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 21:12

Magnification came close and once again with most of a classic lineup.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 12:09
I love that song... or half of it, at least. I love the parts that I understand came from the XYZ sessions (and I would consider it the main part of the song), and I love the acoustic Howe parts. But I rather dislike the parts that I understand were contributed by Anderson... I did a 12 min edit of the song removing such parts, and that way it is among my very favourite Yes songs.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 12:11

First bad decision was to mix live material (which is excellent in itself) with studio material. So both were inconsisent. 
The second, to split it into two separated double albums (and quite expensive to boot). 
As a result, instead of two good albums of classic lineup of Yes, the real reunion, we were somewhat disappointed.

I too think it shouldn't have been done so. It might even have been released as a single album, but just in one part, 3 discs, one with the new studio material, and two for the live album in the order in which it was played. Or Keys to Ascension part 1 might have been the studio one, and part 2 the live one.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 12:15

First, I don't think Keys to Ascension was so much Living in the Past, for though the songs are indeed prog enough, they don't really sound like their 70's song, they sound newer, adequate for the new times. And at least with Magnifications they kept themselves just as proggy (with In the Presence Of actually sounding more like their 70's stuff since the 70's themselves). Now, the thing is, did they really have the inspiration to keep on doing such music... I don't really think so. I guess they just ran out of ideas (not in vain have they been resurrecting pieces that weren't released in their own time, like Mind Drive itself, or Fly From Here... and those have actually been among the best songs from their albums.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 22:47

While I agree with you, any Yes lineup that includes Rick Wakeman, either is in the process of breaking up, has self destructed, or is a ticking time bomb waiting to self destruct. It's the in between times that produces sublime music.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 03:11
Mind Drive is from far the best of the new KTA tracks (probably the best since Awaken), though Be The One and That That Is (both sound more like Drama-era Yes) are OK, as are all of the ones on KTA2.

The Keystudio album (though the tracks come from two distinct sessions, a year apart) would've been their best album, since Relayer (I think GFTO is a relatively weak album), and nothing has come even close since.

Sooooo, AFAIAC, Mind Drive was either a fluke or a unique flash peak.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 19:31
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

While I agree with you, any Yes lineup that includes Rick Wakeman, either is in the process of breaking up, has self destructed, or is a ticking time bomb waiting to self destruct. It's the in between times that produces sublime music.

While there are many great songs from the line-ups without Wakeman, most of their best ones come from line-ups with him, or are better on later live versions with him. I mean, it's only Fragile, CttE, TfTO, and Going for the One (as well as Yessongs) that have Wakeman on keyboards... the only prog albums that are at the same level as those ones are The Yes Album and Relayer... so no, I just can't agree that the sublime music was produced in the in between times.
 Post Reply Post Reply